New Nintendo HD Console "Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbop800

BboP
Nintendo announced their new console, the "Wii U" at E3 2011. It will be an HD console with a large controller that has a touch screen on it. The console is to be released some time in 2012.

The Console:
wiiubanner.jpg

The Controller:
new_nintendo_controller_01.jpg

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Share your thoughts!

Last edited:
Well, Microsoft and Sony haven't made a new video game console for just as long as Nintendo hasn't. In fact, Microsoft plans on the Xbox 360 lasting up until 2015. But now that Nintendo is (most likely) revealing a new console at the upcoming E3, we'll have to see what Microsoft and Sony do to compete against "Project Cafe". :o

Last edited:
...the console overall is claimed to be much more powerful than both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

This is where I doubt.

Either Nintendo is getting way too cocky with their statements, or it might actually be pretty damn good.

also if they don't have hdmi support i swear to god i will strangle a puppy

This is where I doubt.

Either Nintendo is getting way too cocky with their statements, or it might actually be pretty damn good.

also if they don't have hdmi support i swear to god i will strangle a puppy

Oh, I'm sure it'll be stronger than the X-Box 360/PS3, but Microsoft and Sony are just going to one-up Nintendo a year or so after their console comes out.

I can't believe my eyes! Mere months ago, I absentmindedly conceived of a hypothetical controller just like that one, thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a console that had something like this?" My idea was that an inbuilt controller touch screen could be used to simulate the act of grabbing or physically manipulating a virtual object in real space...I really hope Nintendo will at least sometimes use it for this purpose.

Last edited:
Touch screens on the controllers? Sounds like Dreamcast VMU's version 2.0!

Acutally, Nintendo hasn't confirmed any of this at all. This is pretty much a huge rumor being brought up by many websites. I believe the console is real though, although some of those details do seem pretty far-fetched.

The console has been announced... based only on those rumored specs, I now expect my old concept of a Pokémon "Ubergame" to come to fruition, after all, I made this up when the Wii2 was expected to be equal to the PS3.

• Colosseum / XD styled overworld engine, but with ROUTES.
  • All 6 mainstream Regions (Kanto, Johto , Hoenn , Sinnoh, Orre, Unova) and maybe even Fiore and Almia (Ranger titles)
  • Some massive plotline extending through all regions. (Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma/Galactic/Snagem/Plasma mega-team-up?)
  • Battle Revolution-styled battles (3D, Pokèmon actually attack instead of posing)
  • All Pokèmon available in-game, but must unlocked as Pokèdex is upgraded by conquering a League and moving on to the next Region.
  • Custom Trainer costumes a la PBR.
  • MMO-mode unlocked by completing final League.

the console has been announced... Based only on those rumored specs, i now expect my old concept of a pokémon "ubergame" to come to fruition, after all, i made this up when the wii2 was expected to be equal to the ps3.

• colosseum / xd styled overworld engine, but with routes.
  • all 6 mainstream regions (kanto, johto , hoenn , sinnoh, orre, unova) and maybe even fiore and almia (ranger titles)
  • some massive plotline extending through all regions. (team rocket/aqua/magma/galactic/snagem/plasma mega-team-up?)
  • battle revolution-styled battles (3d, pokèmon actually attack instead of posing)
  • all pokèmon available in-game, but must unlocked as pokèdex is upgraded by conquering a league and moving on to the next region.
  • custom trainer costumes a la pbr.
  • mmo-mode unlocked by completing final league.

We. Need. This.

I know, I actually sent the idea in to Nintendo Power magazine for critique, they never printed it or responded.

Did you seriously hand-retype that whole quote? Where the hell did the capitals go?

Did you seriously hand-retype that whole quote? Where the hell did the capitals go?

I imagine that if he would be so... oblivious as to not realize the colors in his signature don't work, then he would probably also be oblivious of the quote button.

the console has been announced... based only on those rumored specs, i now expect my old concept of a pokémon "ubergame" to come to fruition, after all, i made this up when the wii2 was expected to be equal to the ps3.

• colosseum / xd styled overworld engine, but with routes.
  • all 6 mainstream Regions (kanto, johto , hoenn , sinnoh, orre, unova) and maybe even fiore and almia (Ranger titles)
  • some massive plotline extending through all regions. (team rocket/aqua/magma/galactic/snagem/plasma mega-team-up?)
  • battle revolution-styled battles (3D, pokèmon actually attack instead of posing)
  • all pokèmon available in-game, but must unlocked as pokèdex is upgraded by conquering a league and moving on to the next Region.
  • custom Trainer costumes a la PBR.
  • mmo-mode unlocked by completing final league.

Although the MMO-mode is a definite no for me, this is how I've always expected a console Pokemon game to play out. I wish Nintendo would try to make it themselves or get another developer to.

Nintendo in HD? I havn't been able to relate these 2 after the Gamecube era, also, more powerful than PS3 and Xbox360? heh, they'd literally need to make a console that is 7+ times more capable than the Wii, I just let you this page so you can compare what are Nintendo Wii's accomplishments so far in relation to other "Next Gen" consoles. (The Wii is literally inferior in every single aspect).

http://www.winsupersite.com/article...s-playstation-3-vs-wii-a-technical-comparison

For some reason...I feel like this is gonna be another Wii... I dunno why.... I just feel like its gonna be as boring as all their others systems... even the 3DS sounds... well it sounds like their trying to out do EVERYTHING which frankly isn't gonna happen with the Playstation 3 around and Xbox 360 and even the PSP... those all beat out Nintendo's products... well hopefully this one will be good...

[16:15] <@Inuyasha> http://www.develop-online.net/news/37315/Nintendo-We-dont-want-garage-developers
[16:15] <@Inuyasha> http://ca.kotaku.com/5752195/nintendo-frowns-on-most-cheap-iphone-games

Nintendo can go sod off. I don't care about anything new they're making anymore, and I'm trying to actively convince as many people away from a 3DS (and, if this proves to be true, whatever new "console" this is) as I can.

They want people like me to go away, and they want to convince people that the platforms that are helping developers like me get known and actually get paid decently for their work (compared to Nintendo's own services, where ... yeah, right) are "ruining" gaming?

Ridiculous.

Inuyasha, I don't see how that has anything to do with this topic. Personally I buy Nintendo consoles mostly for first-party games anyways. There are plenty of other great venues for indie games that aren't Nintendo, and if that model of gaming is the future, Nintendo's shooting themselves in the foot again and they'll learn the hard way. Certainly won't be the first or the last time it'll happen. I still liked my cartridge-based N64 regardless.

There are plenty of other great venues for indie games that aren't Nintendo, and if that model of gaming is the future, Nintendo's shooting themselves in the foot again and they'll learn the hard way.

Just to play devil's (dog-devil?) advocate here.

I think the point Inuyasha is making is that you shouldn't support Nintendo if you want to support Indie games because they are shooting themselves in the foot but they are still profiting enough that they have no reason to change their perspective. If buy their products, you are supporting them; the easiest way to show that you don't support their statement is a boycott. Nintendo has never been good with accepting the freedom of these internet capabilities anyway, and that's where the technology is going.

Personally I can't afford that many first-party games at the price they ask, I buy more things from Steam because of the sales that bring it down to a place that I can afford, and if I can get a thirty dollar game for five bucks, why should I get a fifty dollar game unless I know its going to be really good. This thinking process scares the soulless business-oriented side of Nintendo, and the part that is responsible for the creative gaming ideals that I support needs to rely on that side in order to continue working. Its nothing personal, its just good business.

With that said, the few games I am willing to spend fifty dollars or more on are usually Nintendo games. I don't mind having a console with only six must-play exclusive games to its credit, because in the time it takes for that many to be released, I will probably only be able to attain four. They just need to be good enough to justify the cost of the console and since the Wii was the least expensive, it was worth it. I could list many Nintendo games that I wanted but didn't get. I'll get a game that is worth the money that it asks me from Nintendo from time to time, and fill the empty space with cheap stuff I find on Steam.

Indeed, I've been called a Nintendo fanboy (and for all intents, I am). I only have maybe 12 games on the Wii. And among them, 10 are first-party. There's a lot of filth and crap in the shovelware pit that is the Wii's library, but there are diamonds in there: DKCR, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime Trilogy among them. My third-party games are Sonic Unleashed (SEGA) and DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Atari). DBZ gets boring as soon as you unlock everything, but Unleashed has held up pretty well for me.

Point is, Nintendo makes good software, and isn't that supposed to be the important part? The software? You can sculpt a turd into an apple shape and paint it red using the graphics hardware, but that doesn't change the fact it's a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back