Need help fixing my wad.again.again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too keen on character making but I'm pretty sure the reason is because all your sprites are in PNG format.

I haven't made a character but I assume BMP is the proper format.

Anyway this page on the wiki might help in some cases (Dunno) but just for future use I'm linking it anyway... http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_WAD

Oh and also the last 2 sprites were uppercase (which is a no-no) they need to be lowercase, eg. a2a8 instead of A2A8.

EDIT: Oh I just noticed XWE doesn't work for you. Are you using Vista by chance? If so try right-clicking XWE and click "Run as administrator". (or something along those lines)

koni said:
I'm not too keen on character making but I'm pretty sure the reason is because all your sprites are in PNG format.

I haven't made a character but I assume BMP is the proper format.

Anyway this page on the wiki might help in some cases (Dunno) but just for future use I'm linking it anyway... http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_WAD

Oh and also the last 2 sprites were uppercase (which is a no-no) they need to be lowercase, eg. a2a8 instead of A2A8.

EDIT: Oh I just noticed XWE doesn't work for you. Are you using Vista by chance? If so try right-clicking XWE and click "Run as administrator". (or something along those lines)

The pictures can be any format, but its when i get to it on charector select is when it screws up.

Maybe I should make all of the frames white(because the color i set it to be in the game was beige, like senku), and then when i get on the game he will turn beige! (and that is the closest to brown i can find)

OR you should look at the updated (but still broken)version of my wad, here

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v1pbtx

Okay here's your problem. Don't use PNG files in XWE. I made that mistake on my first character WAD.

Also, you made the mistake on the last ten frames again. YOU NEED TO MAKE THE LAST 5 As AND Bs LOWERCASE!

Monster Iestyn said:
fawfulfan said:
Okay here's your problem. Don't use PNG files in XWE. I made that mistake on my first character WAD.

Urmm... he uses Slumped, not XWE, right?

yes, i used slumped, but i use 0.4
can someone hook me up with a working download of 0.7?

Update.

It says there is something wrong with S_SKIN

is anything wrong?

name = Domo
face = SBSSMLIF
facename = SALYNAME
ability = 4
normalspeed = 36
thrustfactor = 5
accelstart = 40
acceleration = 40
spin = 1
startcolor = 192
endcolor = 207
prefcolor = 10
jumpheight = 100
boxindex = 0
highres = 0
runspeed = 30
runonwater = 0
allowsuper = 0
superspin = 0
supercolor = 10
nojumpspin = 1
superanims = 0
multiability = 0
lightdash = 0
homing = 0
ringslinger = 0
slingitem = 152
spinitem = 0
thokitem = 0
waterskip =
mindash = 15
maxdash = 60

Monster Iestyn said:
You forgot to add a value to waterskip.

Ok, i did.
But it still does the same thing on charector select.

Not awesome.

Now im going to do the same thing i did for my tails doll wad.
make a black backround with red letters.

Yeah, you don't even need all those values.
You could trim it down to just this:

name = Domo
face = SBSSMLIF
facename = SALYNAME
ability = 4
thrustfactor = 5
accelstart = 40
acceleration = 40
startcolor = 192
endcolor = 207
prefcolor = 10
runspeed = 30
allowsuper = 0
nojumpspin = 1
spinitem = 0
thokitem = 0
mindash = 15
maxdash = 60

All the values have default settings, and usually anything you leave blank will be set to the same thing Sonic has. If you replace your current S_SKIN entries with these entries, your character should act exactly the same.

It won't solve your problem, though. I'm just showing you a handy tip.

As for your issues, I would advise you to try a little experiment. Go to either MAINCFG or OBJCTCFG (you might have one or the other), type a bunch of gibberish next to PICNAME, and see what happens. If your character then works, then it's a problem with your character select screen picture.

fawfulfan said:
Yeah, you don't even need all those values.
You could trim it down to just this:

name = Domo
face = SBSSMLIF
facename = SALYNAME
ability = 4
thrustfactor = 5
accelstart = 40
acceleration = 40
startcolor = 192
endcolor = 207
prefcolor = 10
runspeed = 30
allowsuper = 0
nojumpspin = 1
spinitem = 0
thokitem = 0
mindash = 15
maxdash = 60

All the values have default settings, and usually anything you leave blank will be set to the same thing Sonic has. If you replace your current S_SKIN entries with these entries, your character should act exactly the same.

It won't solve your problem, though. I'm just showing you a handy tip.

As for your issues, I would advise you to try a little experiment. Go to either MAINCFG or OBJCTCFG (you might have one or the other), type a bunch of gibberish next to PICNAME, and see what happens. If your character then works, then it's a problem with your character select screen picture.

It let me read my stuff and click on him, but when i get to the game it stops. maby i should change the frames to bitmaps...

nah, than whats the problem?
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4c1xlv

PS: Go ahed and change the select pic. and if you do, change the object cfc. if you can fix the select pic, send it to me via PM.

Dude, did you already TRY converting the PNGs to BMPs? Because I still think that's the answer. And for the last time, your last 10 sprites NEED to be:

SALYa1
SALYa2a8
SALYa3a7
SALYa4a6
SALYa5
SALYb1
SALYb2b8
SALYb3b7
SALYb4b6
SALYb5

NOT:

SALYA1
SALYA2A8
SALYA3A7
SALYA4A6
SALYA5
SALYB1
SALYB2B8
SALYB3B7
SALYB4B6
SALYB5

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEEASE remember that. It's important, even if it's not related to the problem at hand.

Okay, I give up. I did what should have fixed the whole WAD, but it caused another, even worse error. Just, in future, to prevent this kind of thing, ALWAYS use Bitmaps in SRB2, not PNGs.

fawfulfan said:
Okay, I give up. I did what should have fixed the whole WAD, but it caused another, even worse error. Just, in future, to prevent this kind of thing, ALWAYS use Bitmaps in SRB2, not PNGs.

I really want to know what the error was.

anyway, can someone hook me up with a SlumpEd 0.7 download like this,

Take all of the files, put them in a zip folder, put it on sendspace, and send it to me!?

fawfulfan, NO HE DOESN'T. What part of SlumpED don't you understand?

It's the probably the Life Icon, and the Character select picture. I'll download fix and test.

EDIT: and there's no offsets, that could be a problem.
EDIT2: I'm going to need the original sprites, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back