Parents just don't understand gaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
Agreed? My parents are always saying
"I don't care if you're in the middle of your game, get off and come down for dinner now!"
When I'm right in the middle of an online game, which can't be paused.
And other stuff like that D:

DISCUSS

Well, getting off during a netgame isn't really a problem. Heck, I can even get my dad on SSBMeele once every few days. Its scary how......good he is for the button jamming person he is.

Omg so true. I was playing Maple Story and I was on a ship to another island and I was on it for like 10 min, then she told me to get off so she could use the computer and I needed like 2 more minutes so I could get to the other island. She said she doesn't care and she kicked me off. So now I'm going to have to do it over again. Man this sucks.

Parents abuse their powers alot.

Well, most of the time I play games that I can either leave in the middle of or pause, so it's not really a problem for me. Maybe it would be a problem if I were playing an MMO right now.

I know what you all mean. I could be in the middle of a game and at night my dad said you could stay on a little longer and when I am in the middle of saving he cuts it off.

Parents do abuse their power. They say that video games weren't invented back then but, I think they should let us have a little fun.

I find the best way to deal with that problem is instead of complaining, when you get back on, show them what you're doing. You can't "pause" the internet by nature, and my parents have long since known that. I'd rather them say "Are you online currently?" than "Can you pause that?"

Mystic said:
I find the best way to deal with that problem is instead of complaining, when you get back on, show them what you're doing.

Yes, but some parents freak out when ever you try to show them technology. Fortunately mine aren't very annoying about things like that.
It's just annoying when my dad is up in the middle of the night playing Soul Calibur. "Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-God ****it!"

the thing that make me mad is when i am on adventuer quest and my sister just shuts down the computer it is so annoying

Wow, uh.

You guys should consider yourself lucky if that's all you went through with your parents. So what if they catch you when you're about to level up. Let's try moving off the topic of convience, and onto the subject of punishment.

Here are some commonly said phrases in my household, involving gaming:
"Computer time is over!"
"Is that MSN? Shove over, I need to make sure you aren't talking to strangers"
"Do you know who this guy is? How about this guy?"
"If you talk to people in chatrooms, they will find you and GET YOU! Did you not see it on the news how DANGEROUS it is?"
"Oh my god, you've asked to meet with them, havent you! That's what they do, right?"
"I don't care if they just want to play games. They could be getting your personal data somehow and tracking you right now."
"All you do on the computer is play games. Why don't you apply yourself more? Games are stupid, they waste your money and don't help you."
"Why do you chat with people online? All they want is to find and kill you. Yeah, I heard it happened once."

It's plain SICK. You know where they get this stuff from? The media. Thats right, the #1 source of blatantly overestimated news, in which is not entirely correct in most cases.
Here's what I wish I could respond with, for each of these incidents.

"Is that MSN? Shove over, I need to make sure you aren't talking to strangers"
Hey, my privacy is my own buisness. And so what if I'm talking to people I don't know in real life. You guys meet new people every day, why can't I?
"Do you know who this guy is? How about this guy?"
I don't know them in real life, but I've chatted with them many times beforehand. You know, i've played games here for around a year and a half now. Don't you think a normal Internet Predator would of given up on somebody, if it took that long?

"If you talk to people in chatrooms, they will find you and GET YOU! Did you not see it on the news how DANGEROUS it is?"
Sorry if the news you watch sucks. Oh, and why is it dangerous? It's a way for teenagers with similar interests to express themselves, and to play fun little games together. We even have a moderative system in each channel, which makes sure the channels stay safe.

"Oh my god, you've asked to meet with them, havent you! That's what they do, right?"
Never. Why would I meet with them anyways? There couldn't be one benefitial point to meeting a fellow gamer in real life, other than bragging rights.

"I don't care if they just want to play games. They could be getting your personal data somehow and tracking you right now."
You know, I don't blame you for saying that if you ever did in, say, 1996. This is 2007. Spyware and virus scanners are at phenominal rates of success. Hacking has become a lost trend, as nowadays it's increasingly more difficult to succced in anything more than stealing your neighbours Wi-Fi.
"All you do on the computer is play games. Why don't you apply yourself more? Games are stupid, they waste your money and don't help you."
Gaming has actually been revolutionized, as of lately. There are public gaming competitions for cash, plenty of job offers as beta-testers and bug finders, and other useful ways to have gaming be a positive figure in life.
"Why do you chat with people online? All they want is to find and kill you. Yeah, I heard it happened once."
There's about a 1/100000 chance of this really happening, unless you're totally oblivious to the ouvious, and yoou have no antivirus programs. Regardless, if somebody is online, and stalking you, just block 'em. If that doesn't stop them, report them to the IRC cops. No biggie.

And people still ask me why I don't have mIRC yet.

EDIT:
@Cueball61: I pressured and pressured Velocity, until he finally made me what is now SRB2IRC, for this exact purpose.

megadude67 said:
the thing that make me mad is when i am on adventure quest and my sister just shuts down the computer it is so annoying

Heh, my cousin used to turn off his PlayStation every time you where beating him.

EDIT: Man, Spazzo, I would like you to tell your parents that I think they're insane, but they would probably think I would want to "find you and GET YOU".

My parents understand when it was dinner and I was playing Jak X which couldn't pause my dad said "Ok finish the level and eat".

My dad bought a Wii for my family too!

When my brother has to stop playing videogamesto go help with something, he screems "WHAT! I CAN'T BELIVE THIS! I DO EVERYTRHING AROUND HERE! AHHH!" when that was the first thing he did all day since he woke up :P . Me I just say "Ok fine" or "Hold on I'm almost done"...

sonicfreak94 said:
When my brother has to stop playing videogamesto go help with something, he screems "WHAT! I CAN'T BELIVE THIS! I DO EVERYTRHING AROUND HERE! AHHH!" when that was the first thing he did all day since he woke up :P . Me I just say "Ok fine" or "Hold on I'm almost done"...

My previously mentioned cousin said:
*plays about 7 hours of Melee while I half think and drool at th tv screen that I only precive as flashing colors* *cousin is told to stop playing* WWWWWHHHAAAA I hardly ever get to play and <other cousin> and <Shu> get to all the time *fake cry* WWWWWHHHHHAAAA!!

My dad is alright. He will spend a lot of time on the computer, but mostly listening to songs like The Roof is on Fire by Coal Chamber. He also plays games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back