1.08 Bug Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
How am I supposed to tell if you're inside an "FOF building" and not just under a floating platform?

Changed sky? You mean a different Ceiling texture, certainly, unless there's more to SRB2 editing than I knew.

BTW, while setting up the game on my school's computers (well, temporarily at any rate; all but the gamedata file was deleted at the end of the meeting), I noticed that if SRB2 can't find any sound systems (ie: no speakers), it'll crash instead of defaulting to a no-sound mode. Oddly, just "-nodigmusic -nomusic" will override this, but still, shouldn't it default to a no-sound mode instead of crashing?

Definitely wasn't a sigsev. Was more of a "couldn't initiate drivers". Sadly I don't have the log on me, since it A) was at school and B) was removed with the rest of the game when I removed it from the school's server.

When I get around to installing it on those again, I'll be sure to C&P the contents of that errorlog for you. But it's not a sigsev, or if it is, it's a very specific one.

If it prints an error like "Couldn't initialize drivers," it won't write to errorlog.txt, because that doesn't count as a crash. That's more like it avoided a crash. Check log.txt; it'll contain the error message and possibly a hint of what it was doing at the time.

I just tried the sound channel thing, and nothing happened. After a while, I got bored and set it to 10000, and still nothing happened. Why? It's a MIDI if that helps.

a441 said:
How am I supposed to tell if you're inside an "FOF building" and not just under a floating platform?

Waaay late on this post, but you could make a FOF type that blocks sound or muffles sound, or whatever.

Then, FOF buildings aren't that common, but whatever, just an idea.

Let me explain the difficulty of an FOF bulding screening out weather in SRB2.

First of all, you have your sector that is the building. You next have your walls around the building which are also sectors, and then you have your outside sectors around all of that. If there were no sector walls, you would have a platform in the middle of your building sector as opposed to a ceiling that can be walked over-top of.

Basically, asking for weather effect removal from an FOF building is asking to differentiate between the sector surrounded by sector-walls and the sector surrounded by sectors at or near the same height as the sector you want the weather blanked out in.

There are two solutions you may be thinking about but neither are simple or quick fixes.

* Sector Flag: Make a flag that blanks out the weather while in the sector. I don't know how complex you can get with FOF effects in SRB2 but you would need some way of setting which side of the FOF is the outside and which isn't, and then the game engine would need to be retooled to understand the difference.

* Line Flag: You cross a line the weather turns off. You cross it again it turns on. This almost works but would likely play havoc with the weather effects in multiplayer games. (IE: Add more bugs to fix.) Come to think of it, the sector flag may cause the same havoc.

It's a fairly complicated issue very few people are going to run into so I don't personally think it's really viable for the SRB2 team to go through the trouble of adding support for it.

--- Gemini

I like Shuffle's idea.

We don't use line flags anymore. The players are so fast they skip right by without setting them off.

Yeah... Could you make some FOFs that are invisible and intangable, but block enemys? Because block enemy line flags have just as little effect on the 'bots as impassable has on a Thokking Sonic. Also, FOF buildings are only uncommon in places where you can't go on the top anyhow. Like, every building I've made that you go inside from the outside has an FOF roof and stuff. Since it's Dec. now, SPMoves is in Winter mode. If you play on Rock Skull Mountain Zone and go inside the first mountain, you can see snow INSIDE the mountain, even though the roof should rightfully block it out. Possably, I made the sky so low that the snow spawned there in the first place? I dunno, but as soon as they touch the floor you won't see them again... Also, if you go out to my weird Thok barrier, you'll see snow trapped inside it, due to the weirdness of how I made that... For some reason, if I make the Thok barrier in that place touch it's floor, the sky screws up; Yet, in all of Mystic's open sky and floor sky levels, there's no such problem. What's screwing it up, I dunno. I really... don't know. :cry:

Bugs in SPMoves are not useful to me. Make a wad for SRB2 that exhibits the same problem and I'll look at it.

I'm sure this bug has been talked about already but...

single player start, pause, console (`/~)-- splitscreen on, change coop to match, have a point limit (similar to time limit) to any low #, change to coop, then back in the console-- splitscreen off, and then unpause it.

now any kill will change to the next level, and it will be counted as a normal level without having the "prices not awarded" stuff.

a441 said:
Bugs in SPMoves are not useful to me. Make a wad for SRB2 that exhibits the same problem and I'll look at it.
Simply done. I haven't changed the weather code much. *makes a copy of Rock Skull Mountain Zone in SRB2 form*

Yano, you people should release a couple of zones on 1.09. Its already FinalDemo 1.08 and only 3 demos to go, and theres still tons of levels that have never been done...

That's not a bug report. There are many good reasons we're not going to do that, but since this is the bug report topic, I won't discuss it here.

well it wasnt really a good reason to make a new topic, and this IS the suggestions page, ... ah ill just discuss a bug then.

preferably with a TV in a wall: spin and jump on top of a TV. You'll bounce while walking or standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back