Lighting error on ERZ1 tails path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmint

‫‬‭‮‪‫‬‭‮
All of the red platforms along the ERZ1 Tails path have the wrong brightness setting. They should be set to 255 instead of 160.

6ezHo0b.png

8M0ijY3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
After checking in DB2, it's actually not a texture error, but a lighting error. Those sectors all have a brightness of 160 while the surrounding sectors have a brightness of 255.

This is a pretty common lighting trope in SRB2, actually: areas with lava have lower light levels above platforms than areas where the view of the lava isn't blocked. It doesn't always make sense, but that's why it's being done here almost certainly.

actually it does make sense. Lava is a light source after all.
It makes sense that lava casts shadows, yes.

It makes less sense that a space whose line of sight with the lava is not impeded by the platform very, very, very far below it would have a noticeable shadow cast on it, but line of sight from the surrounding lava to the space above a platform are seldom considered when this approach to lighting is used. Not that fixing that is easy in DooM, mind you...

Well, there are those Floor Lighting and Ceiling Lighting specials that no one ever uses, but yeah, this is pretty minor anyway.

Why nobody ever uses them I will never know, but I do know this. Lava is TECHNICALLY a light source. This means it's light can only travel so far. Think Minecraft. While Minecraft doesn't have the best 101 physics or philosophy, its pretty solid in terms of light. Light is a major factor in the game and can decide life or death at times. Each light source has a certain draw distance, and each block further from the light source, it gets dimmer and dimmer. So if you guys were to incorporate that logic without the unrealistic draw distance and light sources, it would give a more, realistic feel to the lava. Then again this IS a game about three bipedal animals and a crazy obese scientist so anything could happen, but like level design 101 says, floating platforms are the exception.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and by the way, IS this seriously a topic? I mean come on. There are other major things to discuss besides light physics.

The lighting looks kinda weird, but it makes a good visual cue for ceiling height/when you're over the platform, so I'd hate to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back