How do I make Timidity play MIDI's in programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflip96

Now loaded with Calcium!
You may have seen me asking about how to make my computer's MIDI sound different then GS Wavetable synth.
Well, Now I have found Timidity++ for Windows use, unlike the version I found which was for Linux.
Now, The problem being is that I want to make this my primary MIDI playback device, and I am unsure how to do so.

Most MIDI-handling programs use the Primary one by default, And cannot be changed otherwise, that is why I want to make it think Timidity is the primary, or even make Timidity a primary in general.

Another thing I'd like to point out, Timidity crashes whenever I set it for the Loopbe1 digital MIDI port.
So the only accessible port for me to set Timidity to is MIDI Mapper, even then it does not make it primary.
EDIT: Now I found out how to set timidity to the Loopbe1, But that still doesn't fix my problem.
And Vista Midi Maker also does not recognize Timidity alone, With MIDI Yoke, or with Loopbe1.

If anybody knows how to get Timidity to play MIDI's in programs that use them, Please tell me.

Last edited:
Did you use the proper Timidity++ Windows installer? I understand that the various websites are extremely hard to navigate. There's an archive that just has the executables, and there's an installer that actually gives you the Windows driver.

I've used the Timidity driver myself. It has a few issues. Sometimes it will have pretty good response time, and at other points, it lags by over a second! Another problem I've noticed is that the driver doesn't "panic" (in other words, completely cut off) when restarting or moving to a new song. When a song uses pitch bend, it gets stuck and any songs playing after that will be out of tune! The timw32g Timidity++ playback program that comes with the bundle doesn't have this issue, strangely enough.

By the way, Timidity++ comes with freepats, which doesn't really satisfy all the MIDI instruments (many instruments recycle existing ones, and some don't even have a valid fallback, so you hear nothing with them). You should look at Eawpatches, which is a much more complete set: http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/digmid.html

Thanks for the info, But there are a few things I'd like to note.
I do believe I have the correct Timidity++ including the Windows Driver, As skulltag recognizes it as an MIDI device other then the Timidity++ option it normally displays even when Timidity is not installed, But the player itself is very buggy, and crashes alot.

Second, I still don't know how to swap Microsoft GS Wavetable synth with Timidity, Even Vista MIDI picker doesn't pick it up.

What's even worse is, Now the Synthesizer crashes when I attempt to view preferences, But not when I open the player's Prefrences, Which is very odd. Perhaps a reinstall is in order?

Last edited:
I still don't know how to swap Microsoft GS Wavetable synth with Timidity, Even Vista MIDI picker doesn't pick it up.
Weven-vs-Vista.png

In short, "Vista MIDI picker" is crap. I use the other program in the image, because it actually works.

Step 1: Download "Vista and Weven MIDI out Setter" and Extract it somewhere.
Step 2: Run the program and select the MIDI out you want to set as the default, then click "Set selected device as default". (If the device isn't listed in the program, make sure it's "Plugged-in")
Step 3: Test it out by playing something that uses only the default MIDI device like SRB2 or something. If it still uses the old device or doesn't work at all, check your settings and/or reboot.

In short, "Vista MIDI picker" is crap. I use the other program in the image, because it actually works.

Step 1: Download "Vista and Weven MIDI out Setter" and Extract it somewhere.
Step 2: Run the program and select the MIDI out you want to set as the default, then click "Set selected device as default". (If the device isn't listed in the program, make sure it's "Plugged-in")
Step 3: Test it out by playing something that uses only the default MIDI device like SRB2 or something. If it still uses the old device or doesn't work at all, check your settings and/or reboot.
Ok, I tested it out first, The program found loopbe and Timidity++'s drivers, Tested using both of those and not one of them got my programs playing their respective MIDI, Now I shall try rebooting to see if it will work.

EDIT: Still kept playing that dumb Microsoft GS wavetable synth, Now I'm starting to get a bit annoyed, and if I may ask.
Where could I find the YAMAHA XG WDM SoftSynthesizer shown in that screencap you posted?

Last edited:
YAMAHA's XG Softsynths don't work on Vista. The only reason it was in my screenshot was because I was testing it earlier. (Also, for Loopbe's drivers to work right, you have to make sure it's un-muted and have something on the receiving end.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back