Forum issues & suggestions on fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Right, what the topic says. Basically, there are still problems plaguing the forums that need attention. I've made a simplified list of problems, a small rational explanation of them.

Problem #1:
Stupid, annoying, idiotic topics cluttering the boards like cow manure on a farm.

Right, so, all the forums have tons and tons of topics with no true relevance, and those topics are left there to pollute the boards. People sort through this to find legitimate topics, which is terribly annoying. This needs to be fixed.

Proposal #1:
Delete all said topics. If a topic is worthy of a lock, it is worthy of a deletion. Of course, there's always the good topic that just degenerates after a while, but those are so much a non-issue. Deleting these topics would make forum reading & viewing so much more pleasant.
Proposal #2:
Garbage forum, where locked topics are moved to. This provides admins with some sort of explanation for any bans that happened due to said locked topic. This would probably require a negative connotation on it, and probably should be requirements for reading before posting.

Problem #2:
Poor/horrible/nonexistent English & grammar

This is another plague of the SRB2MB. People ignore the rules, and make garbage posts. These are annoying to read, and often nearly impossible. These posts also are generally spammy. They often do not contribute to the topic at hand. They are commonly unrelated to the topic.

Proposal #1:
Delete the posts. There is the Placeholder bug, but one placeholder bug in a topic is better than 20 spam posts in the same topic.
Proposal #2:
Start enforcing, far more strongly, the grammar rules. First posts should not be ignored. Many people are ignored who violate these rules. It needs to stop.
Proposal #3
Use the word filter to enforce some grammar. For example, use of the letter 'u' instead of the word 'you' could be handled there. While, truthfully, people should be typing properly, the rest of us shouldn't have to tolerate it.

Problem #3:
Ignoring SRB2Wiki/FAQ/Search function as a resource

Well, stupid questions are asked daily that are addressed on the Wiki/FAQ/Search function. While not all questions are answered, a good many are, and people don't use them. At all. This is a real problem.

Proposal:
Start enforcing 'Read the Wiki/FAQ/Search function' as a rule, not just a message accompanied with a lock. By that, official warnings/suspensions.

Problem #4:
New users expecting to be treated nicely & complimented

Here is another problem. People expect nice treatment and respect, yet refuse to acknowledge that respect is earned, not given. They don't acknowledge that people following the rules are respected more than those who don't. While this clearly can't really be a rule, some level of acknowledgment of this needs to be there. This is the same thought process that led to 'if you don't like it, don't download it', and 'criticism = flaming'.

Proposal:
Public 'dressing down' of people who act this way. Not inflammatory, of course, but some level of 'you earn respect, not get it' on those who behave as if they deserver it. This can actually be done by people who aren't forum staff.

Problem #5:
Abuse of emoticons

While not always a problem, there are always idiots who will spam the boards with them. And while they can be edited out easily by a mod, said mod shouldn't have to deal with it.

Proposal #1:
Make a slight modification to the registrar page that disables emoticons, and does not allow the user to change that there. Rather, it should only be an option in the profile.
Proposal #2:
Treat emoticon abuse as if it were grammar infractions.

Proposal #6:
Stupidity as a whole

Here's a biggie. People who don't use common sense. This includes people who ask redundant questions, ask for help with something that they could find by spending a total of ten seconds on Google, and other such nonsense.

Proposal #1:
Treat such posts/topics as spam.
Proposal #2:
Do not answer the posts, leave the user to figure it out himself.
Proposal #3:
If nothing else, these should probably fall under Rule 12, and be more enforced.

Problem #7:
Lack of forum staff

There's another problem. Not always enough people to deal with the day-to-day sludge coming in.

Proposal #1:
More moderators. There are plenty of decent candidates, I'm certain. Why not apply them?
Proposal #2:
Moderators promoted to administrators. We really do need more than what we have.

These are not fully documented. If I were to, I could come back later and expand. But for now, the idea is to get the point across.

Dark Warrior said:
Delete all said topics. If a topic is worthy of a lock, it is worthy of a deletion. Of course, there's always the good topic that just degenerates after a while, but those are so much a non-issue. Deleting these topics would make forum reading & viewing so much more pleasant.
The reason behind leaving the locked topics on the forum is that it allows the author to know why his topic was locked, as well as allowing the rest of the userbase to see what's going on, why people are being banned, as well as clearing up any potential conspiracy theories that arise. I've been to forums where topics the admins didn't like were just deleted, and it adds a lot of conspiracy and makes the admins seem a lot worse.

I much prefer you be able to directly see what happened, where it happened, and what we did about it. The little extra clutter is worth it for preserving a record of exactly what's going on.

Dark Warrior said:
Delete the posts. There is the Placeholder bug, but one placeholder bug in a topic is better than 20 spam posts in the same topic.
Ick, placeholder bug for the lose.

Dark Warrior said:
Start enforcing, far more strongly, the grammar rules. First posts should not be ignored. Many people are ignored who violate these rules. It needs to stop.
I'm sure you've noticed the large amount of "Tempbanned" user tags recently. This is a direct result of the 2-click banning system making it MUCH easier to nail someone for bad grammar. It IS being done. It's just hard to get everyone at once, and it's going to take a while before the results are obvious. I HAVE already noticed a lower number of posts on the forum in general, so I'd say we're getting SOMEWHERE.

Dark Warrior said:
Use the word filter to enforce some grammar. For example, use of the letter 'u' instead of the word 'you' could be handled there. While, truthfully, people should be typing properly, the rest of us shouldn't have to tolerate it.
I don't want idiots using a word filter as a crutch. I'd rather go with SomethingAwful's tactic of replacing misspelled words with "MOCK ME BECAUSE I CAN'T SPELL" and similar replacements, and I'm not THAT much of an ass to actually do it.

Dark Warrior said:
Start enforcing 'Read the Wiki/FAQ/Search function' as a rule, not just a message accompanied with a lock. By that, official warnings/suspensions.
START? "Read the FAQ" has been a bannable offense for months. MANY people have been banned for it. With the easier banning system, this should also be easier.

However, the issue is much deeper than that. The issue is that human nature is lazy, and every n00b that comes here is going to ask a stupid question, get banned, and then leave. That doesn't change the fact that there are still a ton of idiots coming in every day.

The reality is that the only way we could POSSIBLY fix this one is to disable registration completely, and I'm simply not willing to do that.

As for the rest of your content, the reality is that while we are adding more forum staff, it is a slow process, because the number of candidates is a LOT smaller than you seem to think it is. Common sense does not exist, and idiots will be idiots no matter what we do about it. We're trying to increase the signal to noise ratio, but it's a slow process and we're working on it.

Finally, I'd personally rather simply DELETE emoticons entirely than put restrictions on them. If you'd like to see them go away as well, go ahead and reply in this topic on that. There's been a lot of discussion on that, and I'd gladly have a public debate on whether or not they should be removed.

Removing emoticons sounds good to me, only one I ever use is
icon_wink.gif
, and that's easily replacable with ;)

As for other stuff, I think the problem isn't the lack of admins and mods, but the fact that the admins and mods are fairly inactive. Most rule breaking topics accumulate tons of posts before being locked.

Also, I'm with the idea to give mods access to the ban button.

Edit: Oh fajooti, ;) and :wink: have the same effect. o.o

Removing emoticon's is good.

As for forum staff, It is a way to easily get rid of useless topics and rule-breaker's.

But, instead of a report button glaber, how about we PM a mod/admin, Telling of the topic/user that is/are breaking forum rules.

The only thing wrong is, it will take some time.

What about not allowing more than one emoticon to be used in a row?

Edit:

Sonicandtails218 said:
Emoticons are pretty much pointless. Text works just as well. IRC has survived without graphical smileys, why does a forum need them?

Seconded.

No, they'd be worse.

But yeah, I'd be fine with removing emoticon support, but I'm just a bit worried there might be lotza numbers appearing where all the smilies used to be. Like the [size] tags.

luis90 said:
But, instead of a report button glaber, how about we PM a mod/admin, Telling of the topic/user that is/are breaking forum rules.

The only thing wrong is, it will take some time.

That's basicly wat a report button does isn't it?

IRC seems to work well enough when it comes to reporting posts to mods and admins. People do it all the time on there.

Emoticons are pretty much pointless. Text works just as well. IRC has survived without graphical smileys, why does a forum need them?

my stick said:
Finally, I'd personally rather simply DELETE emoticons entirely than put restrictions on them. If you'd like to see them go away as well, go ahead and reply in this topic on that. There's been a lot of discussion on that, and I'd gladly have a public debate on whether or not they should be removed.
PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mystic said:
The reason behind leaving the locked topics on the forum is that it allows the author to know why his topic was locked, as well as allowing the rest of the userbase to see what's going on, why people are being banned, as well as clearing up any potential conspiracy theories that arise. I've been to forums where topics the admins didn't like were just deleted, and it adds a lot of conspiracy and makes the admins seem a lot worse.

I much prefer you be able to directly see what happened, where it happened, and what we did about it. The little extra clutter is worth it for preserving a record of exactly what's going on.

You can easily just PM the user why the topic was deleted. If it's something stupid like "how do u add files", then it shouldn't even have existed in the first place, especially if there's only one or two replies to it. In such a case, there's no record to preserve, so it's better off not cluttering the forums at all.

That still doesn't deal with everyone else. I've seen it happen, time and time again:

1. Some idiot posts a stupid topic.
2. Administrator correctly deletes the topic
3. Some OTHER idiot says "Where'd that topic go! This is a conspiracy!"
4. That idiot gets banned for being an idiot.
5. Full blown idiot revolt. Because there's no way to prove what was in the topic (it was deleted), there is nothing to show people.

This sounds far-fetched and retarded, but I've actually seen it happen MULTIPLE times on different forums. Preserving a record of all the stupid things people do makes it very easy to point to the topic and say "Look, here's the topic. It was locked because it was retarded. Any questions?"

Dark Warrior said:
Proposal #6:
Stupidity as a whole
That pretty much covers the whole gamut. Next time, instead of wasting your breath, skip the formalities and just tell people to stop being so stupid- let's see how far that gets you.

W arent harsh here. Idiots just think it. If they just read the rules, we wouldn't ban so much.

Copy'ed and paste'd from master server rules topic.

one win-all solution.

First, forum-wise. say this forum is "moving", give out pm's to rule non-breaker's, saying the "real" new forum. meanwhile, abandon this forum, and tell the "noobs" that the forum is moving to another forum(think "srb2 forum")(fake one for noobs). That way, no noobs take up precious bandwith or request help or custom wad's here.

Then the MasterServer.(intended for final version)

Make the default server not work(non-existant site), noobs get bored of not breaking rules on the masterserver, and dont play it agian.

or[/i] make the default server a server that "fake" because noobs dont know how to change the master server address. then tell the "good" srb2 community the "real" "address" and then No noob servers and hangout server's. [Ex.] {all coop servers every day}.

Feel free to correct me or tell me how to fix this plan up. I'm working on the forum already.("fake forum")

Ritz said:
Dark Warrior said:
Proposal #6:
Stupidity as a whole
That pretty much covers the whole gamut. Next time, instead of wasting your breath, skip the formalities and just tell people to stop being so stupid- let's see how far that gets you.

Except that wouldn't _explain_ anything that we don't already know. It would just be yet another useless short rant posted for no reason or effort
into actually fixing the problems. We've told people just not to be stupid time and time again and by now I thought it be obvious to you that it doesn't do more than dust particle of worth.

So far I can't say I disagree with any of the other opinions on this topic so far. (Which surprises myself.)

But something I've been wondering: If bandwidth is so precious then why do we have an entire archive of old wad contest topic piled up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back