Lagout Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invert_Tails

One and only~
Alright so running a dedicated server, I can't seem to find a way to help stop one of these lagouts happening where one player joins and their ping goes up past 800 and kills the server essentially. Any tips on how to prevent that rather than setting a maxping limit. Since I have already set mine to 600.

Maybe try to set the "nettimeout" command to a higher setting, it does lag it for longer periods sometimes, but you will lose less people from a lag join, thats what I do and I have a dedicated dial-up serv that runs... okay? (My PC's CPU or RAM is still fried so I can't host or play SRB2 online right now)
Also you might want to try C-fail protect and set it to 1 It seems to work, also I know you might not like this, but may I recomend you set ping limit to either 800 or 900, if you set it to 600 you will get a lot more problems with joiners, especially since you max your serv out at 32.

Thanks. I'll edit with a result soon after a 48 hour trial.

EDIT: Awesome, your suggestion is working perfectly ever since I set it to 1000.

Last edited:
Yes, you are very welcome, I hope that I may see your server in great condition for myself soon, (but thats not until I get a new PC).

Although it seems to me that all server's crash eventully, so don't expect it to be up for weeks on end, my advice would be to restart every week or so, that way it probobly won't crash as often, and it will not lag as bad too. Honestly I don't know what causes ded serv's to crash out of nowhere, but one thing I do know is that it mostly happens after you add wads.

Also a small things of wad do's and don't's for a ded serv
1. No SF94 serv
2. No levels with a cutscene before you enter it (such as SRB2rock or Tortured Planet)
3. In GFZ huge watch out for the sky changers and some teleporters, they can crash the game

Those are just a few things to worry about in a ded serv, but if your serv is wad free, then you should be good, unless some thing happens to your computer or the MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back