Srb2 is eighteen years old?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha, I was just thinking about this yesterday... 'Hmm.. SRB2's 20th anniversary will be in 2018... and it's almost 2017.'

So, STJr, can we expect SRB2 Generations? Where MotoRoach's Sonic teams up with the earless leader, the SRB1Xmas sprites, the Pre-Xtreme sprites, and the SSN Sonic to stop the 3 different sprite iterations of Dr. Eggman?

Last edited:
I'm down with that. I mean, it sounds better than that idea someone mentioned about just shoving in Modern and Classic Sonic into the game:

No_piss_off.PNG

Hahaha, I was just thinking about this yesterday... 'Hmm.. SRB2's 20th anniversary will be in 2018... and it's almost 2017.'

So, STJr, can we expect SRB2 Generations? Where MotoRoach's Sonic teams up with the earless leader, the SRB1Xmas sprites, the Pre-Xtreme sprites, and the SSN Sonic to stop the 3 different sprite iterations of Dr. Eggman?

I'm only aware of 2 Eggman iterations, that being the old Final demo series and Instant's 2.X series. What's the 3rd version?

Last edited:
Wasn't there the super old small Eggman throwing sandwich missiles from Demo versions?

I'm only aware of 2 Eggman iterations, that being the old Final demo series and Instant's 2.X series. What's the 3rd version?

There's a very very old sprite, from like Demo 2 or whatever, and then Instant has two iterations of the sprites. Just boot up 1.09 or something, you'll probably see it.

...Pre-Xtreme sprites?

Now all I can imagine is "SRB2 Generations" being Demo 4 levels with Demo 4 mechanics and sprites. Tails max speed 24 and the original Eggmobile, baby.

Honestly, I'd have a lot more fun with that than I'd like to admit. We've come a long way and I think a lot of people who got in more recently have no idea how different the mechanics used to be.

So SRB2 The Past minus all the stuff from in between, with accurate physics and engine limitation recreation? I've been advocating for something like that for a while but haven't had the time to scope out how much effort it would be.

I actually recently downloaded the old demos and early versions just for fun, so seeing something like that happen would be really cool tbh.

So SRB2 The Past minus all the stuff from in between, with accurate physics and engine limitation recreation? I've been advocating for something like that for a while but haven't had the time to scope out how much effort it would be.
There's no sense in putting in the engine limitations or anything. You'd get that better just by downloading the old version itself =P

I more mean getting the game mechanics the way they used to be. Original character statistics, shield designs (lol basic shields), level designs from the old days, and such. Perhaps get some silly things in there like the original ring loss and other similar things, but there's no sense in replicating all the exact quirks. Some things are better left in the past, after all. It's more about the look and feel than the exact implementation.

If someone were to try though, I'd expect it would take just about the same effort, or more than it took to get SRB2 the Past to where it is today, including the SRB2 Christmas and Halloween Mods as part of it.
Of course that's not factoring in hunting down the old levels that were unreleased before a certain time or levels that were lost due to not being archived. (SRB2 Sage 2000 GFZ for example)

There's just an everlasting charm built into Doom's physics that feels so enlightened by the platforming style of Sonic that just feels so right. It's the mark of pure tender caring love.

If someone were to try though, I'd expect it would take just about the same effort, or more than it took to get SRB2 the Past to where it is today, including the SRB2 Christmas and Halloween Mods as part of it.
Of course that's not factoring in hunting down the old levels that were unreleased before a certain time or levels that were lost due to not being archived. (SRB2 Sage 2000 GFZ for example)

Hmm, yes... if only there was somebody still around here that had copies of all of that stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back