Suggestions

Linedef Triggers Based off Score

Let's be entirely honest: Score is only good for more lives. And even then, its a rather slow process and you have other means of doing so. However, if we were able to make triggers based off score much like how linedefs can trigger depending on how many rings you have, this opens up quite a few more opportunities.

For example, as a plan for an OLDC entry, I had a Challenge Room concept based off Kirby's Return to Dreamland, in which you have several challenges you can aim for a top score and rank in. However, there are no triggers whatsoever for score. Infact, the ONLY thing you can do with score is raise it, as subtracting has a nasty bug behind it. So if I wanted to say, give the player a rank on their score, I'm simply out of luck in this matter.

Again, this is just one example, and I'm sure having triggers based on score would be a welcome invitation to some innovative concepts, due to it freeing up rings for their usual use, or other purposes.

A Varient of Emerald Check that Works on Indivisual Emeralds

Being one of the few, if not the ONLY way for one map to directly impact another, or a method of a map being able to "save" its progress, needing ALL 7 Chaos Emeralds to trigger Emerald Check is extremely limiting. If we were to use individual emeralds for Emerald Check via Linedef options, you can more dramatically influence maps between eachother. Thing of them less as emeralds and more like event flags we can use. Again, to the Challenge Room idea, this can be used to save progress on a single map, with say, getting 2 emeralds opening up more challenges available. Things like HUB worlds would be possible too.

Last edited:

I support this completely. It would be quite useful for a project I'm working on. Also, it would be nice to have linedef executors that activate depending on the number of emblems the player has in single player (wouldn't work at all in Co-Op, Race, etc.) This could be used to open up new passages in levels as a reward for collecting a certain number of emblems, for example. It would also help with hub worlds.

Suppose there were three different types of Gas Jets. How would you tell the different types apart without trial and error?
Based on the size of the burst and the sound it makes? I'd imagine that most players would be able to tell the medium-small burst with a small "choof" sound we have now from a 190-fracunit steam blast with a loud hissing noise.
Speaking of which, we totally need more steam ambience noises.

Being one of the few, if not the ONLY way for one map to directly impact another, or a method of a map being able to "save" its progress, needing ALL 7 Chaos Emeralds to trigger Emerald Check is extremely limiting. If we were to use individual emeralds for Emerald Check via Linedef options, you can more dramatically influence maps between eachother. Thing of them less as emeralds and more like event flags we can use. Again, to the Challenge Room idea, this can be used to save progress on a single map, with say, getting 2 emeralds opening up more challenges available. Things like HUB worlds would be possible too.

This so much. I've wished we had options like that before. It would make it so much easier to work with multiple level paths and the like.

Speaking of which, we totally need more steam ambience noises.

Yeah. We could use a lot more ambience noises. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I love the effect different sounds and ambiances can have on the mood of certain areas.

All my previous ideas

#2: New Ambiances. We have a bunch of waterfall ones, and lava ones, and some pretty much useless Disco ones, but that's not much variety. In my opinion, things such as ambiances can be a beautiful touch to levels. Some suggestions I have are sounds like:
-Birdsong
-Bubbling
-Machinery Sounds
-More Machinery Sounds
-Even More Machinery Sounds
-Buzz (Such as the one that would come from a freezer, or pop machine)
-Rustling Foliage
-Wind
-Waves
-Alarm Bell
-Alien Noises
-Laser
-Creaking Wood
-Insect Noises
Of course there are many other possibilities, but these just came to me off the top of my head.

Flame Jet (Spinning - ala S3K's Flying Battery Zone)
Just like the current flame jet, but it spins: think of a spinning mace without the spikeball and replace the chain links with flames.

Chain (Spin/Hang - horizontal movement)
If it's already possible for the character to hang on a chain that spins or swings vertically, why not horizontally too?

Flame Jet (Spinning - ala S3K's Flying Battery Zone)

Chain (Spin/Hang - horizontal movement)
If it's already possible for the character to hang on a chain that spins or swings vertically, why not horizontally too?

I think it's already possible, ins't it?

if yes, just takes time to do lots of fofs

One thing I would suggest would be the ability to hide character skins from the multiplayer character select in certain levels with a level header field like "HideChars = x, y, z" or something of the sort. If I was making a level that would be too easily beatable with Tails or Knuckles, for example, I might want to remove their skins from the character select in that particular level. Another use would be if I was creating a modification that used completely different skins for the three characters with different attributes and I wanted to hide the original forms of the characters.

Adding onto 742mph's suggestion, I also think there should be a console command for "HideChars." BlockSkin would act like this: BLOCKSKIN 1 2 would block Tails and Knuckles, whereas BLOCKSKIN SHADOW METALSONIC would block Shadow and Metal Sonic -- that is, if they're added. If somebody tries to block every skin, print a good ol' error message, saying "You cannot block every skin!" BLOCKSKIN -1 would unblock all skins, much like FORCESKIN -1 disables forceskin.

Now my own suggestion: A sector type called "Trigger Linedef Executor: Object #" and a linedef executor called "Player State."

Object # would search for any object of that number (SOC number, not map number.) It could be attached to Once, Continuous, or Each Time (which, by the way, should be fixed in 2.1, PLEASE.) If No Climb is checked, there must be a certain number of that object to activate it. If Block Enemies is checked, the linedef will activate if there are more objects than the amount. If Effect 4 is checked, it will activate if there are less objects than the amount. Linedef length determines the amount of objects needed. Not checking any flags will ignore linedef length.

Player State should check the player's state, then do something. If it's 1 fracunit long, the player has to be standing still to activate this. However, if No Climb is checked, you can set a range with X and Y offsets; 4 X and 11 Y would activate if the player's walking. 1 X and 27 Y would activate unless the player is falling/being carried/hurt/dead/etc.

That's all, for now.

(GEEZ, LAWEEZ! Typing on a 3DS is SLOW!)

Think we can have some new and more interesting monitor animations?

Ala this:
s4mons.gif

Mainly the flying monitor and the flipping panels. How the monitors are currently designed can stay however they're designed right now, this is more like a proof of concept maybe?

2.1's monitors already have flippy actions, being based off Chaotix. Splash Garden and Dumbventure use them, if you want to see them in action. They don't disintegrate though.

Last edited:
Well this idea came to mind just now and I felt like posting it.

Since the new night stages are being added in 2.1.

And if this was not already suggested.

Since every night stage is base off the map last act you played on.

I was thinking why not kinda remix the level songs into the night stages.

Like the Green Flower Zone song. Remix Green Flower song for Green Flower Zone night stage.

And like change some instruments. And speed up the tempo of the songs.

This will be way better then the normal night songs or the special stage songs we already have.

Now if this is already plan or you all have a better idea then that. Then this is worthless.

Add an option for the Change Music linedef executor to start playing the new specified song after the current one has reached its end. This would allow for the music to change dynamically but not suddenly when you reach a new area.

Think we can have some new and more interesting monitor animations?

Ala this:
s4mons.gif

Mainly the flying monitor and the flipping panels. How the monitors are currently designed can stay however they're designed right now, this is more like a proof of concept maybe?
I already did these panel thingies, though mine were horizontal, I could easily make vertical ones up.
wb5bwm.gif

I have a suggestion: it seems that if you make a custom state cycle, the game likes to say: "Warning: State Cycle Detected."

I would like it if this "warning" was only to be displayed if you're in devmode.

I want to make an actual, and I think decent, suggestion for Co-Op Multiplayer.

A Spectator mode for co-op. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or not, but I think it would be a worthwhile thing to add, at least in my opinion.

A New Action I've had thought of for a while.
A_TimedStateChange:

Var1: How long (In Tics) to wait before switching to a specified state. (Can be useful to get a set of states out of a loop to provide a more interesting animation)
Var2: The state to change to after the Var1 timer has run out

Honestly, I've had this in my head ever since Boinciel had created his Palmtree Panic wad. I made a proof of concept spinning Sonic after jumping off any form of spring that put you in the springing state, and wanted to change it to a falling state after a set time without using up so many states in a soc.

If created, I could have several, if not many uses for this.

a linedef action that undos the disable linedef action for when you want stuff like crushers to activate after a certain point.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back