[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that's why I get murdered every time I change skins..
Anyway, this is really good. I had a blast once I found out what you meant when the game ties skins to MD2s. Also, this plus Jeck Jim's MD2s plus bots equal one epic-ly fun time.

Actually, you get killed everytime you change skins as a way to prevent cheating.

Because normally in 2.0, if you were at a hard platforming section, you would use Tails, and you wouldn't lose a life.

But not in this mod, nope.

If you were at a hard platforming section, you'd either have to stick with the character you were originally using, or die and go through all the hard work again just to reach the platforming section with Tails.

Actually, you get killed everytime you change skins as a way to prevent cheating.

Because normally in 2.0, if you were at a hard platforming section, you would use Tails, and you wouldn't lose a life.

But not in this mod, nope.

If you were at a hard platforming section, you'd either have to stick with the character you were originally using, or die and go through all the hard work again just to reach the platforming section with Tails.

I actually just switch at the beginning to metal sonic (with the exception of NAGZ, which I either use tails only or go to one player as MS and change the gravity)
Anyway, I saw DSZ2 doesn't work due to colormaps, well, my favorite zone, RVZ1, is the same way. Can this please be fixed?

Last edited:
I think I got a good idea for this mod...

FULL VIDEO AND AUDIO CUT SCENES!!!

SRB2 kind of needed them, and they are easier to make then the normal cut scenes. File formats like avi. and mov. are smaller than most HD formats and can fit in a wad file without making it like 238 MB in size.

I think I got a good idea for this mod...

FULL VIDEO AND AUDIO CUT SCENES!!!

SRB2 kind of needed them, and they are easier to make then the normal cut scenes. File formats like avi. and mov. are smaller than most HD formats and can fit in a wad file without making it like 238 MB in size.

Problem is, the longer the video, the more the file size you got that WAD carrying.

EDIT 1: Forgot to add this, but like Tyler said, it's not encouraged.

Last edited:
Problem is, the longer the video, the more the file size you got that WAD carrying.

Hmm... you have a point. Good thing Wi-Fi is the standard intrenet. I also seen mods have music in a separate wad file, maybe this method can be used for the cut scenes.

Who cares? MP3s take up a lot of space, but they are supported.
Not only do videos take up a lot more space than MP3 audio files, it's not necessarily true that MP3s take up a lot of space. How much space an audio file takes up depends entirely on the bitrate and has nothing to do with the format. A 128 kbit/s MP3 is exactly as large as a 128 kbit/s OGG. The difference is that OGGs always sound better than MP3s at the same bitrate. So MP3 isn't a big format, it's a bad-sounding one, and to get a decent sound you need to encode at higher bitrates. The music that comes with SRB2 is encoded at bitrates of less than 70 kbit/s. MP3s with the same bitrate would be close to unlistenable.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because people often make the mistake of thinking "OGG is smaller" and thus put OGGs with unnecessarily high bitrates in their WADs. I've seen it happen that people converted 128 kbit/s MP3s to ~300 kbit/s OGGs because they thought it would save space.

Hmm... you have a point. Good thing Wi-Fi is the standard intrenet.
You must be confusing Wi-Fi with high-speed internet. Wi-Fi just means it's wireless.

Regarding the issue itself, first of all this is a discontinued project, so your suggestion won't be implemented anyway. But even then, I doubt anyone would care to add support for video playback in a rather old-school platforming game. If you're even thinking of adding video cutscenes, you're already focusing too much on the wrong things.

Not only do videos take up a lot more space than MP3 audio files, it's not necessarily true that MP3s take up a lot of space. How much space an audio file takes up depends entirely on the bitrate and has nothing to do with the format. A 128 kbit/s MP3 is exactly as large as a 128 kbit/s OGG. The difference is that OGGs always sound better than MP3s at the same bitrate. So MP3 isn't a big format, it's a bad-sounding one, and to get a decent sound you need to encode at higher bitrates. The music that comes with SRB2 is encoded at bitrates of less than 70 kbit/s. MP3s with the same bitrate would be close to unlistenable.

The reason why I'm telling you this is because people often make the mistake of thinking "OGG is smaller" and thus put OGGs with unnecessarily high bitrates in their WADs. I've seen it happen that people converted 128 kbit/s MP3s to ~300 kbit/s OGGs because they thought it would save space.

You must be confusing Wi-Fi with high-speed internet. Wi-Fi just means it's wireless.

Regarding the issue itself, first of all this is a discontinued project, so your suggestion won't be implemented anyway. But even then, I doubt anyone would care to add support for video playback in a rather old-school platforming game. If you're even thinking of adding video cutscenes, you're already focusing too much on the wrong things.

WHAT!?! Please tell me the color map thing is fixed, I'd love to play RVZ with classic sonic, tails and knux md2s. it would be awesome

I found a bug, if any player or a bot gets a ring, the crashes saying "corna not found" or something like that.

If it's too late to post bugs and things, I'm sorry.

I've found something weird with the mod: A console message that appears when you use your ability as a custom character whose ability enables him/her to go upwards.

(State called: XXXX) P_SetMobjState used for player mobj, use P_SetPlayerMobjState instead!
It appears each time you try to Hammer Jump(as Rosy, above) or Flare Jump(as Hinote, below). Maybe it's a problem with the SOCs that the characters use, I don't know.

(In case the SOCs are the problem, here you can download Hinote, and here you can download Rosy. I linked to a modified version of Rosy since the original one's SOC doesn't work at all in SRB2CB. But if you want to look at it anyway, here it is.)

I've found something weird with the mod: A console message that appears when you use your ability as a custom character whose ability enables him/her to go upwards.
Just looking at the console message in question, it's almost certainly the result of using A_RandomState(or A_RandomStateRange) on the player to play the custom animations, rather than having anything to do with vertical thrust.

A 128 kbit/s MP3 is exactly as large as a 128 kbit/s OGG. The difference is that OGGs always sound better than MP3s at the same bitrate. So MP3 isn't a big format, it's a bad-sounding one, and to get a decent sound you need to encode at higher bitrates.
This makes me wonder, what made MP3 take off if OGG sounds better at the same bitrate? Why isn't it the standard? I guess it doesn't help that MP3 playing devices only supported MP3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back