• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Frosty Lake Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking too bad at the moment. Although it's a bit bland in spots, but for the tree, edit the palette of the woodleaf textures from green to frost blue to make it more of a winter stage. I'm a little intrested on how this one would go.

All I can say is, make the tree less square. I think it looks pretty good, you don't see allot of ice/snow levels.

Also, may I suggest auto-rails? >=D -*shot*
Seriously, maybe bomb rings, or rail rings.

Hyperknux said:
Not looking too bad at the moment. Although it's a bit bland in spots, but for the tree, edit the palette of the woodleaf textures from green to frost blue to make it more of a winter stage. I'm a little intrested on how this one would go.

Err...How exactly would I go about doing that?

So far, this looks like one of the few match stages actually worth playing! I cant wait for a beta, and I would like to see the pallette changes that HK said :)

Should get a beta up soon, however, don't expect the pattlette changes in the first beta, because I'm not sure how exactly to do that. (wiki link would be nice) Its almost ready for a beta though.

Texture editing just looks....scary. I could probaly get it to work if some one would tell me what file srb2 textures are in and how to get them to show up on XWE

Go into SRB2.srb in XWE

Find the tree texture.

Save it to your computer DO NOT RENAME IT, this will make it more difficult later on, Just save it when the save box appears (Entry: Save etc....)

Edit it with any paint program, so it looks frosty

Open your WAd in XWE

Click (Entry: Load from file) Or something

Tada! Now play your level.

Thanks Azure Hawk, that was a great help, I know how to edit the textures now. Normal paint won't open the file though, and I think thats the only paint I have. >.>

Well, bad things aside, I did get some work done on it, I'm at a stand still though, so here is a beta. Tell me what needs to be done (other from the trees).

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=3bd35d37c2cf533bf6d328f894acedc8

Let this be known: No map header, Doombuilder won't read the one I typed in the script. Its map map01 too, because of doombuilder.

BIG problem: You seem to have done something wrong with the level header.

The 'LEVEL' bit does not need an equals sign after it, so...

instead of this...

'LEVEL = 1'

you should do this...

'LEVEL 1'

It was a very fun map. However, your object placement leaves something to be desired. There is a known glitch with rings close to walls dealing with collision. Move them out by about 64 units and you should be fine. There were too many Rings on top of one tree, and with a Bomb Ring, that will draw too many people. There were also too many Rings under the plateau on the south edge of the map.
I did feel sorry for you. More than 12 hours after you put up the link, there were zero downloads.

You must be the only other one to download it so far other than me, Boinciel - after all, only 2 downloaded the wad altogether...

Fixed The ring problems and the Level header, working on textures and other things.

Boinciel said:
It was a very fun map. However, your object placement leaves something to be desired. There is a known glitch with rings close to walls dealing with collision. Move them out by about 64 units and you should be fine. There were too many Rings on top of one tree, and with a Bomb Ring, that will draw too many people. There were also too many Rings under the plateau on the south edge of the map.
I did feel sorry for you. More than 12 hours after you put up the link, there were zero downloads.

I agree with everything Boinciel said. It's not bad (in fact, pretty good), but the item placement is a bit awry. Try turning off what I think would be "Snap To Grid" under configuration (SRB2DB), or right click outside of the map (WadAuthor), and slide some of the items into place. Also, fix the areas with too many rings. It's just a bad idea to put so many in one place.

And seriously, I don't know why the hell people do this: Don't download a map and underrate it because of ONE screenshot. Whoever didn't at least give it a passing glance should be ashamed of theirselves, as funny as that may sound, it's not a joke. This is why there's less and less of a reason to even MAKE level WADs anymore, because everyone's too caught up in EXE modifications, characters, and SOCs.

I'm working on it, but I can't seem to get the tree textures to open up in paint. Any suggestions?

I enjoyed that. It's fun pushing the snowmen onto springs, and watching them bounce. I don't know about the paint problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back