Egg Generator Zone Act 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky

Kay
I know what are you thinking. Why the heck did he took so much time to release this? Well like all people I was being attacked by lazyness but I got over with it and finished the level.

Well now to be serious, I added some more stuff like rooms, gimmicks and stuff and I put effort into this level a lot. And I took a while to release it because I took a while with the thok barrier that was causing me strange visual glitches but now It's fixed.

Time for screenshots:

img upload

image upload

image host

I hope that you have fun. And it's not a big level and I'm sorry for that. I just wanna make levels at my own pace and last I want to thank Tyler52 for the music a lot.

Attachments

• s_egggeneratorzone.rar
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,164
Interesting. I always wanted a level of Dr. Eggman's Super Secret Volcano Lab in Space. Sonic Shorts references aside, though, this is probably your best stage so far, and certainly not as cheap as MDZ. There are a few issues I had with it, though:

*A lot of the rooms are very short and contain few obstacles, letting you completely bypass them in a few seconds. It would've been nice to see you make the most of the several different environments included in this level. Perhaps you should add jumping fireballs in the volcano sections, or more low-gravity platforming in the space sections. It would've also been nice to see a bit more use of the size changing.

*It would be more convenient for the player if there were more rings closer to the checkpoints, thus preventing them from having to search for rings or deal with obstacles without them.

*This stage is pretty linear in general. I didn't find many secrets besides the Special Stage Token, a Whirlwind Shield, and a couple of SRMs. There aren't any alternate paths either, bringing the replay value down significantly. It would be nice if you added more out-of-the-way items and areas to give the player an incentive to replay the level after they've completed it once.

There are a few minor nitpicks I have as well, such as the pipe to the Special Stage Token being a bit too long, but they don't really matter. If this were in the OLDC, I'd probably give it a 5/10. Good work, Rocky, and I'm sure you'll continue to improve.

Last edited:
Interesting. I always wanted a level of Dr. Eggman's Super Secret Volcano Lab in Space.

Actually, it was Dr. Eggman's Super Secret Volcano Lab Underwater in Space. :P

Other than that, this level is pretty average. Some things you can improve on is putting an extra Eggman crate on the ground near the Turret, otherwise you can get hit just as you're coming out of the beginning area.

Also, the Sharps in the meteor area are pretty useless, because they will just fly off the meteor and into the death pit, making them pointless. I'd suggest checking the Block Enemies property on the linedefs of the rock so that they don't fly off into the death pit, and also reducing them to only 1 or 2, because Sharps are already hard enough to kill as is. And you also forgot to deaf the rings on the rock with the Sharps.

Some of the areas are also a bit bland, like the first outside area. I'd suggest putting some Techno Hill flowers there so it doesn't look as bland.

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask... is that music a remix of Techno Hill and the old Egg Rock music?

Last edited:
Thank you for the criticism and suggestions so far. I'll be sure to apply some suggestions and improve myself in many ways.

Yes, the remix is from THZ and old ERZ. (or maybe the new ERZ?). This level is going to the level pack but I will still work on it a little more since I have to do act 2 and the boss of the zone.

I will in some weeks show progress of some zones that are going to the level pack.

That's all. Oh and more criticism is welcome :) .

Last edited:
Well, you've got scenery down cold, that's for sure. My main complaint is that the level is mostly hallways...give me something to do besides running. You have a lot of doors right now that just open as soon as you come up to them. You ought to present some sort of challenging feat in each room that the player must perform in order for those doors to open.

Actually that's what I wanted to do but I just can make the buttons waork no matter what I do. I don't know why but I can't make buttons to open doors and I'm working on it.

Besides I take your levels in your mod Tortured Planet has an example for me to learn. I watch what you do to some levels and I try to learn from you. Of course that I check the SRB2 wiki but still I need to see why people like your levels and what makes them play the levels over and over again. I want to make that to my levels but I just can't seem to pull it off.

I will try to change things in my levels so that they have more challenge, more gimmicks and of course more fun in them.

EDIT: I would like suggestions for a boss and gimmicks for a second act of the zone if someone can.

Last edited:
I would like suggestions for a boss and gimmicks for a second act of the zone if someone can.

Perhaps the second act should expand a bit more on the space theme, with more low-gravity asteroid-hopping sections (as well as reverse gravity?) and more use of the size-changing gimmick (maybe including size enlargers as well as reducers). Also, since bosses are often based around the gimmicks of the zone in which they are fought, I would suggest having the fight take place in low gravity and/or involve changing size as either an attack or a requirement to damage the boss.

Not bad Tyler, Better than the other one that's for sure. Anyway thanks for the help that you keep giving to me. I really appreciate it.

Buttons: make the button sector, and give it the trigger line ex. - floor touch sector special.
Make two Control sectors outside the map, and tag the first one to the button sector, and the second one to the door sector. Then in the first one, use the set floor height linedef ex. and set the control sector's floor height to the height of the sector surrounding the button sector. In that same control sector,
Tag another linedef to the button. Give it the Continuous linedef ex. Trigger. I'm sure you know the rest. ;D

Last edited:
I actually understood that very well. I'm going to make some test wads and see if the buttons work with all kinds of doors.

Thanks for the help, Dr. Gravity.

It'll work with almost anything, actually. Using this you can even make it so when you jump onto a floating platform, it'll lower and do something. (Witch is something I'm doing in my own level). And, you'r very welcome. =)

Gimmicks aren't all you should do for a great level. The best levels are built to incorporate lots of platforming challenges as well. That's why Greenflower Zone plays so well, despite having virtually no gimmicks.

Like I said, I make levels at my own pace, so in each level I make I keep improving the length of the level.

I will try to make Act 2 bigger though.

That is true but what I'm saying is that I take a while to make maps and when I take a break I start to think: They are getting impatient or they think I'm slow or something like that.

When I say "they" I'm saying the srb2 community. When I feel that people trust me enough, Then I will be able to make maps longer without being so nervous about criticism specifically about the time that I take to make maps.

Oh, don't worry about that. No one will judge you for the length of time you take to make a map. Unless it's a collab and they're waiting for their turn. That can get a little annoying. But go at whatever pace you build best at. No one will begrudge you that. :)

If you can make something spectacular, you will have everyone's attention, no matter how long it takes you to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back