Can I host private servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFireTheHedgeHo

The Uncontrollable Flame
Was the private server thing taken out from SRB2ME?
Y'know where you'd put a password and no one could come in unless they had the password?
Im not sure how to host one of these, so I thought it was best to come here and ask.

Not directly, but you have a couple of options if you want to restrict players from entering your netgame.

Your first option would be to get your friends to join as quickly as possible, then disable joining. The only downside to this is that there is always the chance an undesired player will slip through before all your friends arrive, but you can simply ask them to leave or, if necessary, kick or ban them.

Your second option would be to host by IP instead of on the Master Server. You would send messages to your friends telling them your IP Address, and they can join your server by entering it into the required field in the "Join By IP" option.

Your first option would be to get your friends to join as quickly as possible, then disable joining. The only downside to this is that there is always the chance an undesired player will slip through before all your friends arrive, but you can simply ask them to leave or, if necessary, kick or ban them.
If I want to host a server only for my "friends", then, what's the point on hosting a server on public?

If a server is advertised on Internet, the the serve/admin should know that anyone can see his server on public list (the Master Server) and anyone can access it. Kicking a player out just because "mah servah´z fur mah fwendz" kills the purpose of MS.

The second option is quite suitable. Just my opinion. ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back