SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Old 07-08-2013   #1
Terra
Needy child

Default Sonic Adventure DX Hacking help?

I've learnt how to port models and all that stuff in Sonic Adventure DX, which I don't know if anyone even plays anymore, and I'm hoping to release a pack of mods i've done, but I need some testers to test the mods I make. I can't seem to find my SADX CD anymore, so that's why I need some testers. I hope this isn't too much to ask, or against the rules...
I also take requests...If anyone even wants any...
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #2
Yacker
Metallic

I have the steam version, if that ones moddable. If not I could go digging in my old CD collection and try to find the CD one.
Yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Judge

I have the original CD version installed on my PC right now, so I could test them out as well.
Old 07-09-2013   #4
Terra
Needy child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yacker View Post
I have the steam version, if that ones moddable. If not I could go digging in my old CD collection and try to find the CD one.
Sadly, I don't think the steam version is moddable...
Also, Sonic100000, I will send you a PM with the mods that I need people to test out first. Same goes to you Yacker if you notify me that you found the CD.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #5
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic fan2000 View Post
Sadly, I don't think the steam version is moddable...
Also, Sonic100000, I will send you a PM with the mods that I need people to test out first. Same goes to you Yacker if you notify me that you found the CD.
Being honest, none of the versions (aside from say, Demo and full) are different in how they're made. Steam's SADX just hooks into the Steam client so achievements and play time can be counted for the Community. This would mean you couldn't use EXEs on that version and have it count towards your play time, but not a big deal. The game is still as modifiable as it was, that is, very crummy model swaps with excess clipping and maybe some slightly impressive projects (see Sonic Adventure RDX.)

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends
<Inkoishi> you really can shit
UltimaXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #6
sonicfreak94

SADX Steam by no means is just a hook into Steam unless it's being compared to the Dreamcast Collection version, in which case you would be right, UltimaXtreme. However, there are some rather large differences between the original (moddable) and Steam versions of SADX. Specifically, one sucks, whereas the other does not.

Character model swaps work, texture modifications work, but that's where it stops for the half-baked Steam version. It's a port of the 360 version which is a port of the PC version which is a port of the GC version which is a remake of a revision or another of SA1.

It has a low internal resolution (meaning it's running at 640x480 no matter what you set it to) which dare I say is unhackable by any conventional means, especially when it comes to removing the borders for widescreen (I've tried myself). It hasn't been disassembled and so most of the good mods are based off of the original which has. Just using the executable from a mod of the original in the Steam version will work for the most part, but audio and such is formatted differently and isn't even in the same place.

At the end of the day, you're not modding your game, you're getting resources that were from the older version that were modded for the older version. The only thing this Steam version has over the old one is that it uses Xinput (specifically for 360 controllers; no benefit otherwise), it uses DirectX 9 as opposed to 8, and uses looping ADX audio instead of... *cringe* WMA.

They also removed some types of Chao. =|
sonicfreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote