Character Wad Tips/Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colson

lyra x bonbno is esbt shop
Ok, I'm making a character wad and before I get started I have a few questions to ask. I couldn't find the answers in the wiki.

1. What programs would be good to use for making sprites? I do NOT want to work with MS Paint.

2. Is there a required order that the rotations for each frame have to be in? If so, i want to know the order.

3. Do I need to use the palette when coloring the sprites? If so, how do I access the palette?

I may have other questions to add later.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer these.
If they're kinda n00bish questions, sorry :P

I use Paint.NET to make my sprites. And you DO need to use the palette. The palette is somewhere on the wiki.

Thanks, I was thinking about using PDN. I had already found the palette on the wiki. Now I just need to find out if there is a required order for sprite rotations.... :(

Another question, how do you make your sprites? (What tools, what steps, tips, etc.)

I use MSPaint for my texturing, and it works fine for me. Granted, one texture does a whole lot more good than a single sprite, so I can see how you'd want a streamlined editor.

Oh, and before you ask any more questions about characters, read this article: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Character_WAD

One of the easy things you can do to fix your Sprite rotation problem is to take ANY character wad that is done, rename it, set the stats to what you want, then just replace the sprites with yours in the correct places. NOTE: you HAVE to change the pic names other wise the sprites will over write each other when both added.

I use XWE to make edits/sprites.

[Offtopic]
Wow, I have Cyber Elf X as my avatar and BlueZero4 has Zero in his avatar. Same with Colson.
[/Offtopic]

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. Now I have to make the sprites. (ugh)
I might reveal the wad's name....

[Offtopic]
I just noticed that! I'm a huge fan of the MMX series.
[/Offtopic]

I have my own question, so I figured I'd use this thread instead of making a new one just to avoid clutter.

How do I take picture files out of the wads or put them in? Maybe I'm somehow skipping over it, or not searching properly, but I can't find any information on this.

I have my own question, so I figured I'd use this thread instead of making a new one just to avoid clutter.

How do I take picture files out of the wads or put them in? Maybe I'm somehow skipping over it, or not searching properly, but I can't find any information on this.

I may be kinda n00bish at char making, but I can help with this!
This is for SLumpED. Open the wad, select the graphic. Go to Lump>Export. Change the file type to the desired format and save.
For Importing-
Open the wad. Go to Lump>New from File. Select the sprite/graphic and import it.
Hope this helped!
XWE is screwed up right now so I can't check on how to with it.

Last edited:
Sorry about the double post, but I have something else to ask.
I need help with shading, what method do you use?
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back