Couple questions about mapping and compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDRR

my old posts are very dumb (formerly rayfan)
So i have been planning to recreate the Sewer system from a PC/Ouya game called "The Amazing Frog" since it's perfect for more than 4 players (An option which the game doesn't offer yet)

However, doing so requires using FOF a lot, so i have some questions about FOF (and level editing overall), first, can parts of the FOF be in the void/unreachable areas that require noclipping and other parts be in reachable area? (Of course, without causing graphical glitches) because this would significantly reduce the amount of FOFs that i need to use in the entire map.

How can i create a door which activates after walking through a linedef but closes after you get to the other linedef at the other side of the door?

What are some good ways to reduce slowdown in my map?

How can i make bouncy FOFs bounce at least as much as a yellow spring?
(The point of this one, is to make trampolines like in the original game)

How compatible are SRB2 2.0 maps with 2.1? And how compatible are SRB2's maps with ZDoom/Zandronum? (I know FOFs, doors and triggers will have to be created again)

Is it ok if i use sprite rips for the cooperative version of this map? (Sprite rips are for the frog zombies, and technically they aren't sprite rips, but pictures of a model)

Finally, this is kinda sorta unrelated, but how could i make 2.0.6 Egg missiles not go up or down? This is to make cars which would be great for this map.

EDIT: SRB2 Doom Builder is ok for mapping in 2.0 and 2.1 or is there a better alternative?

Also, could any moderator/admin change my name to TDRR? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
However, doing so requires using FOF a lot, so i have some questions about FOF (and level editing overall), first, can parts of the FOF be in the void/unreachable areas that require noclipping and other parts be in reachable area? (Of course, without causing graphical glitches) because this would significantly reduce the amount of FOFs that i need to use in the entire map.
FOFs can be entirely or partially below the floor or above the ceiling just fine without issues, and they just won't render, or will render partially if they're partially above the floor.

How can i create a door which activates after walking through a linedef but closes after you get to the other linedef at the other side of the door?
SRB2 doesn't use linedef collision triggers, as objects move too fast to reliably detect collisions along them. Instead, sectors are tagged to trigger linedefs that execute other action linedefs along their control sector. This system is referred to as linedef executors. You can set one of those up with two sectors on each side of the door to raise or lower said door as required; each trigger sector should be at least 100 units wide to ensure it picks up a player at any normally-attainable movement speed, and you may want the closing trigger to be at least 16 units away from the door so that it doesn't trigger early enough to crush the player under the door.

What are some good ways to reduce slowdown in my map?
As far as rendering, the biggest drains on performance are a large amount of sprites visible on-screen, followed by FOFs (especially translucent ones). A large amount of lines or sectors on-screen could also cause issues, but that generally won't happen unless you go way overboard.

Generally, try to use one-sided walls (walls without another sector behind them) to break up larger rooms, as they tell the renderer not to look behind them. (SRB2 and Doom render front-to-back.) Avoid using tiny sector details for decoration as well; this greatly increases the number of lines that the renderer has to take into account, and you can generally get much prettier results by using a custom texture anyway.

Most importantly, however: don't worry about optimizing your map unless you're actually noticing performance issues, then focus your optimizations on the areas where the issues occur. If you worry about it too early, it'll take a lot of time that could've been spent working on the map itself.

How compatible are SRB2 2.0 maps with 2.1? And how compatible are SRB2's maps with ZDoom/Zandronum? (I know FOFs, doors and triggers will have to be created again)
Converting SRB2 maps from 2.0 to 2.1 is generally pretty easy; a few linedef specials and thing types have moved places or been merged with others, but converting is a lot easier than the 1.09.4 to 2.0 jump was.

However, an SRB2 map is completely incompatible with any other Doom port, and vice versa. Until 2.0 some thing types in SRB2 happened to line up with similar objects in Doom, but aside from that, every single effect is different and nothing will work. Even the palette is different. The base sector geometry is probably the only thing you could salvage going from one to the other.

Is it ok if i use sprite rips for the cooperative version of this map? (Sprite rips are for the frog zombies, and technically they aren't sprite rips, but pictures of a model)
The rule against submitting sprite rips (or rips of any other content) applies only when the rip is the bulk of an addon submission's content. (Or in certain legal cases; e.g. you don't get to put Daft Punk music in your WAD because their lawyers would be on our ass if we hosted that.) Content rips are okay when they're used as a part of a complete original work, such as sprite rips for a custom enemy in a level.

EDIT: SRB2 Doom Builder is ok for mapping in 2.0 and 2.1 or is there a better alternative?
For mapping at this point, you should use Zone Builder. It has the most support for current mapping features, such as if you want to use slopes in your map. If you're too used to SRB2DB it's still functional for now, but I don't foresee anyone bothering updating the configuration for 2.2 onward.

Finally, this is kinda sorta unrelated, but how could i make 2.0.6 Egg missiles not go up or down? This is to make cars which would be great for this map.
(For anyone else reading, the above questions are still awaiting answers)

Thank you! I'm not going to start yet until i test every single feature that will be on the map carefully, and i think i already got how to make vehicles without lua.

I don't know offhand, but I'm aware a Bouncy FOF's bounce height can be controlled using the length of the control linedef? It's possible there's some limit to how high that can get though, in which case you may have to do something else to get what you want?

If you're referring to the spike missiles the old version of Brak Eggman shoots that you could jump on to fly about, you may be better off creating a custom object entirely, and using Lua to recreate only the turning controls of the missile. But then I don't know if you've used Lua yet.

Also, could any moderator/admin change my name to TDRR? Thanks in advance.

Just PM one of the admins to get the job done. Moderators like me can't change your nick though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back