Lava Ruins (My first original level)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STHE123O

Little Monster
After making levels and mods based on real Sonic games, this is my first original level. The level is an ancient jungle with ruins and lava rivers. I had this idea for a while, and I think it turned out good.

It replaces MAP01, check it out and enjoy!

Attachments

• srb20006.png
    srb20006.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 1,372
  • srb20009.png
    srb20009.png
    288.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • srb20011.png
    srb20011.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,162
  • srb20013.png
    srb20013.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 981
  • srb20017.png
    srb20017.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 994
  • sc_LavaRuins.rar
    6.9 MB · Views: 1,372
Offtopic: Can you tell me the music's name in this map, It's beautiful.

Ontopic This map is really beautiful, I enjoyed the level and everything about it! It is definitely one of my (somewhat) favorite maps to play in, along with Seraphic Skylands and Haunted heights. It is one of the maps that is really fun. However some of the textures actually hurts my eyes, and the fact that there is no colormaps in the lava and that one area with water, which bugs me.

Offtopic: Can you tell me the music's name in this map, It's beautiful.

Ontopic This map is really beautiful, I enjoyed the level and everything about it! It is definitely one of my (somewhat) favorite maps to play in, along with Seraphic Skylands and Haunted heights. It is one of the maps that is really fun. However some of the textures actually hurts my eyes, and the fact that there is no colormaps in the lava and that one area with water, which bugs me.

Thanks a lot. Glad you enjoyed it! Here is the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnYdnTAgbk

It was pretty fun, I say! Although in some places the texturing was wonky (read: nerf the contrast on those textures), and the dark lava room made no sense but

Good work

The dark room was supposed to have water at first, it was some kind of underground water storage that turned into lava for some reason. Yeah kinda weird, thanks anyway, glad you had fun!

Last edited:
Great work! I've said it before, you really have a knack for set design: Your rooms are big and populated with actionable scenery that holds the players attention and compels them to explore. First playthrough took me 7 minutes, pretty good for a 2 minute map. It's pretty. I hate hate hate the music since it's exactly the sort of shit mom blasts when she's roleplaying with her faux Native American shaman friends on Facebook, but that's a personal issue.

The problem is that you're not really rewarding the player for exploring. There's only one brief path split at the start of the level. You've got tons of nooks that look like they lead to something interesting, but only amount to eye candy or a dead end distraction (like this). I thought the map was designed with Tails or Knuckles in mind since you had all these goodies on pillars that Sonic couldn't reach, but then playing as them just made it clear how much of the map was empty space. It's not much fun either- for your next map, I want you to focus on building something challenging without relying on instant death traps. You need more gimmicks. Figure out how polyobjects work and start playing with moving platforms. As an aside, which of the stock single player maps is your favorite, and why?

Map also needs some serious cleanup. Merge your thok barrier with the play area, Don't allow spaces like these to exist. If the player doesn't have a reason to be up there on the edges of the map, trim them out with single-sided linedefs. It's just more work for the renderer at best, and it enables Knuckles to skip sections of the map entirely at worst. Start using the noclimb flag so players aren't cheating your layout or wasting their time climbing everywhere looking for secrets. Giving you the business here since you could definitely be one of the community's greats if you can just pair your artistic sensibilities with solid game design.

Last edited:
Great work! I've said it before, you really have a knack for set design: Your rooms are big and populated with scenery and geometry that hold the players attention and compels them to explore. First playthrough took me 7 minutes, pretty good for a 2 minute map. It's pretty. I hate hate hate the music since it's exactly the sort of shit mom blasts when she's roleplaying with her faux Native American shaman friends on Facebook, but that's a personal issue.

The problem is that you're not really rewarding the player for exploring. There's only one brief path split at the start of the level. You've got tons of nooks that look like they lead to something interesting, but only amount to eye candy or a dead end distraction (like this). I thought the map was designed with Tails or Knuckles in mind since you had all these goodies on pillars that Sonic couldn't reach, but then playing as them just made it clear how much of the map was empty space. It's not much fun either- for your next map, I want you to focus on building something challenging without relying on instant death traps. You need more gimmicks. Figure out how polyobjects work and start playing with moving platforms. As an aside, which of the stock single player maps is your favorite, and why?

Map also needs some serious cleanup. Merge your thok barrier with the play area, Don't allow spaces like these to exist. If the player doesn't have a reason to be up there on the edges of the map, trim them out with single-sided linedefs. It's just more work for the renderer at best, and it enables Knuckles to skip sections of the map entirely at worst. Start using the noclimb flag so players aren't cheating your layout or wasting their time climbing everywhere looking for secrets. Giving you the business here since you could definitely be one of the community's greats if you can just pair your artistic sensibilities with solid game design.

Wow thanks a LOT! I will for sure have all that in mind when I make my next levels. And I always like to make places for Tails and Knuckles but since this was a single level and not a mod, I honestly didnt pay much attention to them. But thanks for telling me, I will keep that in mind.

And about my favorite level from the game? Mmmm... I guess its Arid Canyon. It is a big map, with lot of alternathe paths, and the visuals are just really good to look at. I was really impresed with that level when 2.0 came out a few years ago. And its also a nice and somehow not "basic" theme for a level (Big canyons and Oil), unlike Green Flower (Green Hill much?)

For your first original level, I think it's pretty good! I loved the texturing and the pacing of the entire level, and the theme is pretty interesting too. Really looking forward to see more original levels in the future my friend.

That's a really good level! I wasn't expecting more or less from you after seeing your past mods, bravo! Few nitpicks however;

840678srb20207.png

See above in the spoiler, there's this part of the level where the player is very tempted to just drop down, not being able to see the lava if they are not mouselooking, I'd suggest modifying it so it's easier to spot the lava down there. There's also the dark lava room, which makes no sense considering the lava makes light on its own, if you want to keep the room dark, you can either change it to water with spikes, or spikes alone. The last thing is that it would be pretty nice if the player wasn't forced to break walls and spin in order to complete the level, but that's up to you.

But keep up your good work, I'm really looking forward on seeing more from you ! :P

That's a really good level! I wasn't expecting more or less from you after seeing your past mods, bravo! Few nitpicks however;

840678srb20207.png

See above in the spoiler, there's this part of the level where the player is very tempted to just drop down, not being able to see the lava if they are not mouselooking, I'd suggest modifying it so it's easier to spot the lava down there. There's also the dark lava room, which makes no sense considering the lava makes light on its own, if you want to keep the room dark, you can either change it to water with spikes, or spikes alone. The last thing is that it would be pretty nice if the player wasn't forced to break walls and spin in order to complete the level, but that's up to you.

But keep up your good work, I'm really looking forward on seeing more from you ! :P

Thanks Lat! Yep that hole is kinda tempting, I was gonna put an extra life there but yep, I guess its still confusing. About the lava room, I agree, the best thing would be to just put water in there...

So Silver cant use spindash?

Yes, water sems like a good idea, considering you made some nice little lavafalls and all on the sides, it would be a bit of a waste to turn it into a plain room, also Silver still has abilities that let him go under gaps and break walls, but I was more talking about other characters out there that don't have CA2_SPINDASH and are completely unable to complete the level.

Finally got around to playing this - and Ritz and the others already said some of the big stuff, but I'd like to add a few things.

There's a button near the end that raises some stairs - doesn't seem to serve any gameplay purpose, just a nice little animation before moving on. Part of me wishes there had been something else to that, though, at least a use later on that made you think after that first room introduced it. Switches that raise more than one set of stairs at a time, for instance...

I'm happy to see someone recognizing that egg guards can be used this way. Badnik use in general is about applying them as gimmicks, which means thinking about what they actually do with the player and then making part of the level turn that into something interesting. For the crawlas and facestabbers, I guess I'd just like it if there were more opportunities to gain height, and then preserve it through bouncing to get to some of the neat high-up goodies you have around. As much as Ritz dislikes the empty spaces at the tops of the rooms, I'd love to be able to actually scale my way up there as sonic through some contrived means.

I really liked the textures, and particularly that thing you had going with tree middletexture with various textures behind it, those really gave each room the feeling of being bigger than it really was. Very, very, very little wallpaper syndrome, and you even went the extra mile of making a few scenery objects to top it all off. Wonderful.

I actually feel kinda bad for not getting around to the map until now. It's fantastic, and you should be damn proud of having made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back