• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

Apologies on the lack of updates, as Sonic is not the only thing I had to work on, but I did try to progress on him. Recently, I've got to finish all of the running angles (major help from Iceman404 in the back angle for running).

2csfbxd.png

ibyy3c.png

2ijoym9.png

Sonic is slowly getting closer to done, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to add everything I had planned for him in time for the NONLDC contest. If it doesn't turns out to be the case, I will have to either update him some time after the initial release, or just delay it a little more.

I swear that the new sprites for Sonic when he's running reminds me of one of the Classic Sonic wads. It's just the way that it's drawn that makes it so similar.

Hey MotoRoach, how is Sonic turning out? I'm sorry, I'm just curious; you haven't posted anything in the last months... I know you are busy, I'm sorry.

Actually, there is a post from the Spriters Resource with some GIF's that are not posted here... copied for posterity, link to the post here.

MotorRoach said:
Here is a little preview of what I'm getting ready for SRB2 Sonic:

3r56w.gif

Left being the original animation taken from the game, the right one being my complete remake~

Oops, forgot about that~

But really, that isn't much of an update. It's just the animated version of the run shown in one of the screenshots. As for Sonic, I feel like I shouldn't keep you all waiting for updates.

342fsSx.png

He is still being worked on, although rather slowly. My financial condition hadn't been doing so well, specially with the little amount of commissioners I had these past few weeks.

I'm here hoping that will change in the near future, but as for Sonic, I'm slowly working on him when I'm not busy. I still have a lot planned for him. Sorry to keep you all waiting.

I would so commission you... if I had money. :/

Sonic's head on the side running frame looks a bit small, but then again that may just be because I don't have much else to compare it to. Great work!

I don't want to bother you, MotorRoach, but I REALLY want to see some better screenshots using Sonic100000's Color + WAD.

j6q0sm.png

9s9xeu.png

Those two screenshots are gorgeous, but it's annoying because the first one is hard to see as it's underwater, and the second one is too dark and doesn't show off the front.

Last edited:
No, I just want better screenshots that are in brighter lighting conditions, are easier to see, and show off some of Sonic's frontal sprites, all while using Sonic100000's Color + WAD. Though I admit I worded it wrongly by saying "Like the ones you posted earlier", so I'll edit that out.

Last edited:
The purpose of the screenshots is to show what I have finished for the character, for being just previews and nothing more. I don't intend giving perfectly clear screenshots.

Whenever I take new screenshots, I keep in mind how it will be like to play through the majority of the game as the character, while giving different angles of what he will look like in said levels (that way I won't be limited just for showing back angle screenshots). The purpose is not to simply show the sprites, but to show what they will look like in game, and I refuse to do something as uncreative as taking all of the screenshots in GFZ1.

Besides, an underwater screenshot will look dark, so asking for brighter is ridiculous. I also don't see why you are asking just for front angles on the screenshots. I'm taking screenshots from a variety of angles, I'm not forced to make Sonic's face visible in all of them, and I want to make it clear what Sonic will look like in general. You are not going to see just his front angles in the game, not even if you are online. That has to be a ridiculous demand for a screenshot detail, specially when the RVZ1 screenshot already shows a front angle of the same animation in the ERZ2 screenshot. Most of the screenshots show a front angle, even.

I don't see why you want me to keep all of the screenshots in the Sonic100000 palette either. It is true they look nice, and I personally find it much better than the default palette, but not everyone is going to play with the character using the addon palette.

In short, the screenshots are clear, mostly show Sonic's sprites decently, the different angles do a good job at showing what his design looks like all around, and the palette is just a matter of preference. The complaints you posted offered either ridiculous unnecessary solutions or no solutions at all. I don't have to appeal to what just you prefer, I'm trying to appeal to everyone in here.

That's okay, I just wanted to see what other sprites and locations would look like with Color +. But since you're the one who's developing this, I won't get in your way.

Last edited:
Gorgeous. Beautiful. More words that describe how this cool Sonic looks.

Seriously, you are a great spriter, MotorRoach! Keep up the great work. I hope to see him in early 2015. But no need to rush it! Take your time.

I love this Sonic. Hope it replaces the old one.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back