[Open Assets] [Kart] F-Zero X Rainbow Road

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
This is the very first time that I've ever submitted anything to Submissions, as until now, I've never had made a level I fealt was good enough for public use. But with this map, I not only want to show my skills as a porter/mapper, but to show a proof-of-consept of what is the first ever SRB2 Kart map to have segmented laps, like Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road.

F-Zero X Rainbow Road is not a full on, 100% port, as otherwise it may get boring. As such, I have added new sections which replace old routes that you may remember, while trying to keep the feel of racing through space. With three sections, each counted as a lap, a complete circuit of the track can take as little as 2 minutes... if you don't fall off the track, that is. However, unlike the F-Zero series who punish you for falling off by causing you to start all over, this track is more forgiving - but it is not as forgiving as Mario Kart 64's Rainbow Road, from which the F-Zero track was based off of.

Changelog:

Version 1.1:
  • Bugfix - Fixed SigSev after Lap 1, CP4 on the right-hand side, and added stuff to try and make sore people don't fall into the area which was causing the SigSev.
  • Minor Edit - Added barriers by Lap 2, Finish Line/CP1 so that people shouldn't fall off there.
  • Minor Edit - Removed the final CPs before the end of each Lap.

Version 1.2:
  • Update - Added Coins so as to make use of the new features of SRB2Kart. A few Item Boxes were removed as well.

Also, for you time trialers out there, I've got a challenge for you: you can use whichever character you want, and the aim is to set the fastest time on the track. You ARE allowed to use shields. How high will YOUR run take you onto the leaderboard? (Note: With the release of Version 1.2, Version 1.1 is considered the No Coin version of the map, so records can be set for either Version 1.1 or 1.2)

Version 1.0 Time Trial Rankings: (Outdated, but will be kept for legacy reasons)

Current Record: 1:50:94 - Set by Fooruman with Metal Sonic
2nd Fastest Record: 1:52.88 - Set with Sonic (Devoloper Record)

Version 1.1 Time Trial Rankings:

Current Record: 1:50:91 - Set with Sonic (Devoloper Record)

Version 1.2 Time Trial Rankings:

Current Record: 1:46:82 - Set by SRB2PlayerFan with Shadow

Attachments

• srb20069.png
    srb20069.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,469
  • srb20065.png
    srb20065.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 762
  • srb20059.png
    srb20059.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 923
  • srb20068.png
    srb20068.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 676
  • srb20067.png
    srb20067.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 629
  • srb20063.png
    srb20063.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 625
  • k_FZXRainbowRoad-v1.1.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 467
  • srb20127.png
    srb20127.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 661
  • k_FZXRainbowRoad-v1.2.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 776
Last edited:
Released. Bump.

Thanks, SC. Thanks for finally approving this. Now, I don't have to complain on 'fun about not being experienced with non-flat maps, seeing as making a flat map is sometimes good if you are a newcommer to mapping, but, when you look at most of the maps in SRB2 and SRB2Kart which are not ports, they use vertical variation to make them more intresting. Hopefully, the combination of feedback about this map along with other stuff should help me become a better mapper than I was beforehand.

Pros:

• fun to play,
  • quite long,
  • 90% Metal Sonic friendly.

Cons:

• I keep getting a sigsegv after the 4th checkpoint (after the downward staircase around the asteroid) when I stick to the right of the track,
  • jumping (so you can drift) on the upward staircases may sometimes cause you to bounce back like when hitting a wall; I guess that can't be fixed,
  • the checkpoints right next to the lap-sections don't seem to be necessary.

After so many attempts (mainly due to the sigsegvs, reason shown above) I've beaten your time.

srb20025.png

Pros:

• fun to play,
  • quite long,
  • 90% Metal Sonic friendly.
Glad to hear that. I playtest maps as Sonic, as I'm no good with Metal, but hearing that it's 90% MS friendly is a plus.

Cons:

• I keep getting a sigsegv after the 4th checkpoint (after the downward staircase around the asteroid) when I stick to the right of the track,
  • jumping (so you can drift) on the upward staircases may sometimes cause you to bounce back like when hitting a wall; I guess that can't be fixed,
  • the checkpoints right next to the lap-sections don't seem to be necessary.

I've never noticed that SigSev before when testing - I'll make sure to get that fixed in the next update once I find the cause.
The second one... well, indeed that can't really be helped.
And, the CPs before the lap-sections are not necessary, so I'm removing them - but the ones right afterwards ARE, as otherwise, if one fell off between the lap-section start and the first CP of that section, they would return to the start. Which is not good.

After so many attempts (mainly due to the sigsegvs, reason shown above) I've beaten your time.

srb20025.png

Well done! I'll be adding that time to the Time Trial leaderboards... once I set them up, that is.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

NOTICE: Version 1.1 is now out!

Changes from Version 1:

• Bugfix - Fixed SigSev after Lap 1, CP4 on the right-hand side, and added stuff to try and make sore people don't fall into the area which was causing the SigSev.
  • Minor Edit - Added barriers by Lap 2, Finish Line/CP1 so that people shouldn't fall off there.
  • Minor Edit - Removed the final CPs before the end of each Lap.

NOTICE: Version 1.2 is now out!

Changes from Version 1.1:

• Update - Added Coins so as to make use of the new features of SRB2Kart. A few Item Boxes were removed as well.

This is a very good level. I give it a 8/10, but there's one problem; the corners are too tight and the staircase around the first asteroid is bound to make players fall off. (Even when they do drift)

BTW, I set a new record. (See image below)

Attachments

• srb20035.png
    srb20035.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 473
This is a very good level. I give it a 8/10, but there's one problem; the corners are too tight and the staircase around the first asteroid is bound to make players fall off. (Even when they do drift

I know, that first (and only) downward staircase is kinda tricky. But I admit that some of the corners are tight, especally in two of the asteroids.

By the way, which version of the map did you use to set that record? V1.1, with no coins, or V1.2, with coins?

I know, that first (and only) downward staircase is kinda tricky. But I admit that some of the corners are tight, especally in two of the asteroids.

By the way, which version of the map did you use to set that record? V1.1, with no coins, or V1.2, with coins?

I used V1.2 of the level to set the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back