• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[Kart] The Best (and Worst) of Ah2190 Kart Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
After watching Kitoko playing through White Land 3, a track which I made but which has a reputation of being really hard, I realised that, although some of my tracks which I have made are bad (either difficulty wise or look wise) there are possibly both some real hidden gems and/or some tracks which are real stinkers in a way. And one of the thoughts which came to me is 'why not sort through all of my tracks (including ones which I have made but never released or even shown until now) with the help of you guys at the SRB2MB, and create a pack showcasing the best (and the worst, although they would be separated from the rest) of what I've made so far, as well as a few new tracks as well?'

The result of this thinking is this - a project designed to bring together the Kart maps which I have made (while also updating them to work with the latest version of SRB2Kart: some of them haven't been updated in a few years!) into a showcase of the best and worst.

Why the best and worst, and not just the best? Because some of the worst tracks can turn out to host some interesting races, such as White Land 3, with its real tight corners. Plus, it does show other mappers what works and what doesn't.

But, if I'm to make sure that the pack has the best quality work which I have made, I need your guys help to go through the tracks and decide which ones would fit best into the following categories/cups: (I will hopefully make some more tracks to help fill in some of the holes)

Nitrous Cup: The best of the best, and the main cup of the pack.

??? Cup: Tight turns, tricky obstructions... these are the tracks which are really, really hard.

Baby Cup: Baby Park and three other really easy tracks would make up this cup. A nice cooldown from the previous cup.

??? Cup: These tracks which form this cup might not be the best to play on, but they do look good.

??? Cup: A selection of tracks with 'gimmicks' such as changing routes.

Rainbow Cup: The final cup is made of four of the best Rainbow Road-alike tracks, which can include Nitro Starway and the SNES-style Special Stages of the planned, but never completed, Nitro Island pack.

Current Maps up for consideration:

k_BabyPark.wad
Baby Park (Possibly for the Baby Cup)

k_BigBlueII.wad
Big Blue II (From the first Kart map comp)

k_FZeroPack.wad or k_FZeroPackTest.wad
Mute City I and II
Big Blue I
White Land I and II
Fire Field
Death Wind III
(Silence was made by D00D, so doesn't count)

k_FZeroPack.wad or k_FZeroPackTest.wad or k_NitroStarwayFZeroStyle.wad
Nitro Starway

k_FZXRainbowRoad-v1.2.wad
F-Zero X Rainbow Road (Possibly for the Rainbow Cup)

k_NitroIslandSNESSpecialStage.wad (First viewing of this wad)
Nitro Island Special I, II, III, IV and VIII
Lost Nitro Special

k_Rainbow_Road.wad (First viewing of this wad)
Rainbow Road (Ah2190's version)

k_RingwoodGP.wad (First viewing of this wad)
Ringwood GP (Based on the 2012 Ringwood Peddle Car Grand Prix Track)

k_TidalStadiumI.wad
Tidal Stadium I (Proof of concept track)

k_WhiteLand3_Best_WorstOfAh2190Version-v0.5.wad (First viewing of this wad)
White Land III (Being remade for this pack)

km_DeathTurnpike.wad (First viewing of this wad)
Death Turnpike

NitroIslandMTestTrack.wad (First viewing of this wad)
Nitro Island Test (The only track which I managed to make for the Nitro Island pack, which hasn't been shown until now)

Link to the .zip file containing all the Wads: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b5uq8jmuza66k6/kbm_BestAndWorstOfAh2190_Pack.zip
(Warning! Although the wads have now had their MAINCFGs modified to work, most of the tracks are not yet optimised for the latest Kart build.)

Last edited:
*Reads a nice large hunk of text*

You know what.

I liked your themes for your tracks. They certainly could use a large amount of work, however. I will play through each and every single track here soon enough for you, and tell you how they are. I'll edit this post with my comments.

I really like your initiative on this and your attitude toward your maps. If you keep that going you'll keep improving. :)

I really like your initiative on this and your attitude toward your maps. If you keep that going you'll keep improving. :)

That is the plan - to use this to see what went well and what didn't. Plus, with some of the maps (especially the Nitro Island one) I can make a new track in the same area quickly.

Then again, I am only one person, and while my tracks may be good, they can use some tweaking in areas which I am inexperienced in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back