Tier Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would competitive SRB2 be like this?

Well before you start blabbing about my "SRB2 Legal Stages" thread. I must say this can be an accurate representation of competitive SRB2.

First off to say right off the bat is WAD's. Some people prefer their own playstyle like FSonic, Amy, Shadow, etc. But there are some cheap characters or "clones" that are not added because they are not Legal for competitive play. Also, it causes a humongous advantage to annihilate someone for point's in Match. Yes this is a Legal Stage list and Tier list for competitive SRB2. Well with that out of the way, let's get into some short things I'd like to say before you look at these pics. FSonic was made from a developer! Not really a clone, but FSonic plays a whole lot different from vanilla Sonic! But with TailsCD, he has a few changes to his playstyle. His fly when using your spin in midair, He gains speed like in Sonic 3 etc. So there are some people who prefer some wad characters. Like in Project M, a mod for Super Smash Bros Brawl. They have some modded characters in there. There is a competitive ruleset to this. Here is the set you should use. 10:00 minutes is the max. That's it! So my speech here is done, and here is the list!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/295787469541212171/306196757317156864/Srb2TierList.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...812116093272065/SRB2TournamentLegalStages.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme.../305561202052956160/SRB2_Non_Legal_Stages.png

There are a few things I should say to this. I will say the most said advantages to stages and disadvantages to stages. It may not be at it's best but I'll try

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jade Valley

Advantages: 2 Big areas to fight and dodge to steal some items. A few areas to sneak attack in small spaces.
Disadvantages: Some really small caves to get hit easily for points
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frost Collumns

Advantages: Some platforms up high to attack and rail. The castle has 4 spots on their ceiling to use the wind shield or Jasper's Stars or Tails fly ability.
Disadvantages: Tight corners, Some easy to kill platforms. Icy floors making it hard to have some hit's with rails or other slow rings
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Granite Lake

Advantages: There are some areas that are high up so you can hit your enemy from above or hit them down with a scatter, bomb or a rail, making it hard for your enemy to take advantage of the round. A wind shield can really change the situation in this stage, you can easily escape without doubt that your enemy can hit you, unless you got a slow start on that double jump.
Disadvantages: There are many, many springs that hit the ceiling, making it really easy for your enemy to attack you in any case. Being underwater isn't so bad, unless you are in a big underwater area, where your enemy can take advantage of you when you are a slow character.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thunder Citadel

Advantages: There are some secrets throughout the stage, making a good sneaky turn, can make a good combo starter. If you are a flying character, you can go up to the top of the map where there are 2 sides of them, they can easily rail somebody without them noticing.
Disadvantages: When in really small rooms, someone can bomb you at any time, making it easy for the enemy to swipe your items and trap you. There are some water areas where you can grab or hide in them, but if someone has a fast weapon, they can catch you off guard and get your items.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On to the counter pick stages!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desolate Twilight

Advantages: If you get a wind shield, you can get up on some of those small floating islands and be able to attack someone easily. Being up on the top of that area with the yellow spring in the center, you can just wait for someone to go up there and bomb them!
Disadvantages: If someone has a wind shield, it can be really hard to see them, so they can be really sneaky even in plain sight. Someone can just attack someone that is on one of the floating islands, making it a "big" surprise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meadow Match

Advantages: Everything is in a big space, grab all the items if you can! If you have rails, you can get someone just about anywhere with one shot. If you have a wind shield, go up one of the yellow springs that can lead to the red one, then charge up a full spindash, once all charged up. go to one of the sides with an edge, you hit the spring, go on a direction the enemy doesn't expect and use that double jump of yours to attack them by surprise!
Disadvantages: If you are on top of the map, anyone can hit you under the platform with a bomb! You can get toyed around with scatters just about anywhere you go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noxious Factory

Advantages: The area with all those conveyor belts in a square shape, you can make your enemy confused where you will go and attack them if you know how to use the conveyor belts to yourself. The area where the rails are, you can hit someone into that gooey waterfall and they will stay there for a while (more like there can be a chance where they can drown but that is rare) and steal all their goodies.
Disadvantages: If you are in the goo, it can take a long time to get back up again, anyone can hit you easily, but you can hit them too. There is an area with laser's, but at the end it grants you with a shield, someone can hit you into a crusher and you would lose 50 of your point's trying to attempt getting that shield.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sapphire Falls

Advantages: If you are a flying character, you can get on top of the map in different areas, then you can rail them without notice. You can hit someone into the water or the waterfall area with a knockback weapon, they can't get back up unless they are a flying character.
Disadvantages: If you are on the rail spawn, anyone can bomb you out of there without skill. You can get easily trapped in the water fall by a knockback weapon preventing you to escape to the springs.
Onto the non legal stages! Where there aren't barely any advantages to them and all disadvantages
Celestial Sanctuary

Advantages: You can hit someone off into a pit without even the need of a knockback weapon.
Disadvantages: There are so many death pits, you can just die without any notice. If you are up somewhere, anyone can hit you to a death pit. You can get trapped in a water fountain with the help of knockback weapons
Diamond Blizzard

Advantages: There is a big area that's like a battle arena, so you can get a combo starter and kill your enemy if lucky. There are some secret areas that you can get to, if someone is going in there and you are in there, you can surprise them and get them out of there.
Disadvantages: A whole lot of ice, making it a little bit difficult to move around perfectly. If you get hit by a knockback weapon and there is a "window" or a different area leading downwards, it can take a little bit to get back or it can lead you to death.
Infernal Cavern

Advantages: There is a Elemental Shield area that you can camp to, and just jump down and hide in some walls that are surrounded or covered in lava.
Disadvantages: There is a lot of fire gimmicks that can get you and lose your items. There are some places for items but are surrounded by falling lava, making it hard to collect.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tidal Palace

Advantages: There are some places to hide as a flying character, making it hard to find you and you can sneak attack them.
Disadvantages: When the water rises up, it's hard to avoid attacks from your enemy, making it easy to be swung around. There aren't many places to hide and rail/bomb making it hard for a chase. There are some holes that lead deeper into the level, and you don't know if your enemy is there, making it a risky situation.
And that is it for this thread. Man it took 2 hours to make this lol. Well anyways, I might have not put everything to know, but I did as much as I should. Anyways, have fun with your competitive SRB2!

Last edited:
You have very little understanding of how competitive gaming works.

For one, as has been repeatedly stated, SRB2 match/CTF is nothing close to a competitive game for a variety of reasons, including the awful character balance and the awful netcode. There's no point even trying to start a serious competitive scene when the mode boils down to "pick Sonic, be the host, and win".

For two, Smash rulesets can't just be cut-and-pasted into other games, especially in other genres. There are specific reasons why the Smash community came up with those, based on how the game plays, and you need to understand the whys. If anything, you'd want to base the ruleset on another shooter's, like Quake.

Not to mention you also seem to have very little understanding on which vanilla stages are balanced. It seems to me that you just banned anything with a stage hazard, instead of the stages that are actually badly balanced. Meadow Match in particular is a joke map which isn't balanced in any way.

It's okay, he stays S tier in CTF as well.
Too bad he can't fly with the flag. I'm gonna go fix that. I want to make a quality character that rewards you for having SKILL.

But yeah, an accruate tier list would basically be "SONIC > ALL" since nobody plays anything but Meadow Match in, well, Match. I mean, I do personally think that this tier list is actually dependant on the map you play on, as in, Sonic sucks in Infernal Cavern (minus Elemental Shield), but honestly there are just not enough in most Match maps that would make you play anything else than Sonic assuming you've played the game for more than 20 seconds.

As for Coop, well, the more mobility the better, so characters like Tails, Knuckles, Jasper, Silver, and fuck even Shadow since he has more aerial mobility than Sonic are actually good picks since you can make platforming easier.

Then again why would you make tier lists in a game with 3 characters in vanilla, an unbalanced "competitive aspect" that is Match, and addons that are not any more balanced most of the time?

Well. If you are saying something like that. Check out my newest thread.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

If you did look at this "It may not at it's best but I'll try." I'm saying this is MY opinion on competitive Match. But besides that, this is a perspective I would see as competitive SRB2.

Well. If you are saying something like that. Check out my newest thread.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

If you did look at this "It may not at it's best but I'll try." I'm saying this is MY opinion on competitive Match. But besides that, this is a perspective I would see as competitive SRB2.

You can't just go around disregarding everything everyone is saying just with the line "it's MY opinion". Opinions still need to be based on some kind of fact, like a little kid who refuses to try a new food because they "don't like it", despite them not actually ever trying the food. Sure, it's their "opinion", but can you really say it's the most valid?

Just like the kid who's ignorant to how the food actually tastes, you're ignorant to fundamentals of SRB2 Match, instead applying the concepts of an entirely different game and just assuming they're compatible when they're really not at all in the slightest, leading to you think that things cause legality and illegality for being balanced and unbalanced when they actually don't do that in SRB2, despite doing so in other games.

SRB2 is an entirely different game, and you'd do well to maybe actually play some actual Match games with a lot of people in it to learn about the game type firsthand before you decide to come to any conclusion about it.

FPS game modes
Sonic > Tails > Knuckles

Everything else
Tails > Sonic > Knuckles

Imo

To be honest, the concept of "legal" and "non-legal" stage divisions seems a little odd since in SRB2 we don't have actual tournaments at all to seriously make use of these divisions of yours. In fact, the last time I recall any sort of official tournament for SRB2 being tried (probably a decade ago by now), it completely flopped! As far as I'm aware, SRB2's Match mode has never really been suited for a tournament kind of setup, in its current state it's probably better played just for fun than for any kind of fair balanced competitive setup or whatever.

Furthermore, your choice of "legal" characters seems to be rather arbitrary, apart from omitting obviously overpowered ones (which you did sort of say at least) you also seem to have left out any characters that might be "viable" but are just underpowered? Does being underpowered make them not viable? I don't know because you haven't cleared that up properly. The other problem here is you haven't really given any in-depth reasons for certain characters (especially the addon ones) to be in these tiers at all (what makes Jasper an S, Silver an A and Shadow just a B?), you just seem to have just dumped a bunch of characters you consider "viable" in a list and called it a day. That is, apart from the fact character balance is a complete joke with just the vanilla characters currently, but that's already been stated a million times over by now.

Has anyone mentioned the issue of weapon rings here yet btw? That's another can of worms regarding the issue of balance in Match, since we're going over everything else in this thread apparently.

Last edited:
To be honest, the concept of "legal" and "non-legal" stage divisions seems a little odd since in SRB2 we don't have actual tournaments at all to seriously make use of these divisions of yours. In fact, the last time I recall any sort of official tournament for SRB2 being tried (probably a decade ago by now), it completely flopped! As far as I'm aware, SRB2's Match mode has never really been suited for a tournament kind of setup, in its current state it's probably better played just for fun than for any kind of fair balanced competitive setup or whatever.

Furthermore, your choice of "legal" characters seems to be rather arbitrary, apart from omitting obviously overpowered ones (which you did sort of say at least) you also seem to have left out any characters that might be "viable" but are just underpowered? Does being underpowered make them not viable? I don't know because you haven't cleared that up properly. The other problem here is you haven't really given any in-depth reasons for certain characters (especially the addon ones) to be in these tiers at all (what makes Jasper an S, Silver an A and Shadow just a B?), you just seem to have just dumped a bunch of characters you consider "viable" in a list and called it a day. That is, apart from the fact character balance is a complete joke with just the vanilla characters currently, but that's already been stated a million times over by now.

Has anyone mentioned the issue of weapon rings here yet btw? That's another can of worms regarding the issue of balance in Match, since we're going over everything else in this thread apparently.

Um. Hey. I will have a video uploaded about that today. Ya might wanna check it out sometime
Moderator Notice:
Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you're just advertising your YouTube channel instead of responding, so no, we're done here.

To sum it up: SRB2 match is not balanced effectively enough to be remotely competitive. You also clearly do not understand how match works very well, because your "tiers" are clearly wrong and your list of stages has no correlation to which ones are actually balanced. Smash Brothers tournament rules work for Smash Brothers, not a free-for-all first person shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back