Help with bobbing platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Stupid question, I know, but I only started learning how to map yesterday, so...yeah.

Anyway, as you can see in this test map of mine, I can't seem to figure out how to make platforms bob in water. It acts as it should when it first enters the water, but it doesn't respond to me jumping on it.

I've tried troubleshooting on my own, but I can't figure it out. It must be something obvious, but I'm not seeing it. Any help, please?

The reason it does not work, is because you set the lindef to the wrong type. You have it as Type 160. Instead you want it to be 179, which causes it to crumble, fall in to the water, and then bobble. Do you understand?

The reason it does not work, is because you set the lindef to the wrong type. You have it as Type 160. Instead you want it to be 179, which causes it to crumble, fall in to the water, and then bobble. Do you understand?
This is wrong. He doesn't want it to crumble once the player stands on it, he wants it to float and bob on the water surface from the beginning. The linedef type is correct. That said, I have no idea what causes it to malfunction. You seem to have set up everything correctly.

Well, I still don't know what's causing the problem, but it turns out that once you change the height of the water surface, it works just fine.

The peculiar thing is that the height at which it doesn't work is exactly 0. This makes me suspect there might be a bug in the bobbing code. Maybe the bobbing movement is dependent on some kind of height comparison (which returns 0 when the sector is at height 0, thus canceling out all movement)?

Last edited:
I don't know if there still is, but there used to be a bug in the bobbing code whenever negative numbers got involved. It may still be in the game, in which case, try simply raising the entire level and see if that fixes it.

@SpiritCrusher: Thanks! I feel better for not being able to figure it out myself now, at least.

@Mystic: That doesn't seem to be this particular problem—the platform bobbed as it should at both height 1 and -1, so it seems to be just 0 that's the problem. Thanks for letting me know, though. I'll remember that for the future.

(Also, I just realized there's a specific subforum just for editing help. Uh, whoops?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back