Custom sounds (resolved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

123 Runite

Wait for it... *BANG*
I'm trying to add my own custom ambiances, but instead I always get some annoying 'thoking' sounds instead of my custom sounds.

I've named my sound lumps DSFRE001-DSFRE005 and the SOCs are exactly like the original water ambiances but with MAPTHINGNUM and SEESOUND changed. MAPTHINGNUMs go from 2001 to 2005. SEESOUNDs are set from 297 to 301 [sfx_dsfre001 (free slot) to sfx_dsfre005 (free slot)]. The sounds all have PRIORITY of 64 with no flags checked.

All my sounds' properties are PCM 22.050 kHz, 8 Bit, Mono. I've even tried 48.000 kHz as shown on the Sound and Music tutorial on the Wiki, but I got the same result. So, I tried copying the same properties as on existing sound lumps on srb2.srb. They've all been saved as Doom Waves.

How can I resolve this problem?

Problem solved, Thanks.

---
How long can ambiance sounds be at max? It seems that only after a few seconds, the sound abruptly loops back to its starting point... I understand that the disco ambiance is really long, so I thought there was no limit, but why do my sounds loop too soon?

Never mind, I figured it out. SPAWNHEALTH for ambiances does determine length. This information should definitely be on the Wiki. It seems I can't trust Wiki much because it always is missing some information, especially the SFX problem sonicfreak94 pointed out.

Last edited:
That's actually a problem of the numbers being mixed up in SOCedit. If you go into SRB2's sound test, just play through all the sounds in there until you find the one you're looking for, then take note of the number.
(with the wad and soc in question added, of course)

I've done that sometime after posting my question, thinking that was a good idea, I didn't find anything...

Yet, I've seen that 297 = 291 now that you pointed it out; I probably wasn't paying attention when I've checked... let me try fixing that:

---

Alright thanks a lot! That fixed the problem. Now, I came across another: How long can ambiance sounds be at max? It seems that only after a few seconds, the sound abruptly loops back to its starting point... I understand that the disco ambiance is really long, so I thought there was no limit, but why do my sounds loop too soon?

Perhaps SPAWNHEALTH has to do something with the length of the sound, in tics. I'll try that.

---
Alright, it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back