Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario Kart was far from the first to introduce air and water racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81iSOaOB-PY

I think he was more or less talking about the fact the karts transform in the middle of the race, rather then having to choose one and stick with it like Diddy Kong Racing.

Actually, it's more of a combination of the two. The in-race transformation of MK7 with the actual vehicles themselves being more like DKR.

..And that's really all I can say about this aside from that since the game play clips show pretty much the exact same thing as the first game...

I sure am excited for this one. And hopefully I'll get MK7 to tide me over until it comes out. Or at least until I get it.

The first game never really caught my eye, but this one actually looks interesting, shame that there doesn't seem to be a Wii/Wii U release, but I'm starting to expect that from Sega.
I'd like to think that the reason the first game has absolutely terrible graphics is that the were trying to make it run well on PC, PS3, 360 and Wii, and the Wii was dragging them all down.

The graphics in this however do look slightly better.

Anyway I did rather like the first one despite its many flaws (such as blurry textures, mostly recycled music, some mediocre track design and a lack of variance between tracks, and an irregular framerate on consoles), so hopefully there will be more effort put into this.

The transformation element is obviously a terrible gimmick that doesn't look particularly exciting, but if they can make it work as well as it does in Mario Kart 7 and Diddy Kong Racing, I don't really mind. I'll probably be getting it on 3DS.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that the reason the first game has absolutely terrible graphics is that the were trying to make it run well on PC, PS3, 360 and Wii, and the Wii was dragging them all down.
I don't really understand how the Wii was dragging them all down. I'm sure this game could be replicated on the Wii too, all it is is a matter of toning down the graphics for the Wii. The first game didn't even look like it took advantage of the Wii. The updated graphics is because they're using a whole new HD engine, the Starlight engine. It includes better graphical performance and dynamic lighting.

And with the 3DS being comparable to a Wii, it just seems like they didn't want to support a Wii version.

Seems interesting if this one won't have terrible online multiplayer like the first one ( at least DS version ) and will have some good SP I'll get it.

Meanwhile, at Summer of Sonic. NiGHTs stage, along with playable NiGHTs and Reala confirmed.

I also got a chance to play the demo at Summer of Sonic as well. As someone who wasn't much of a fan of the previous game, I had quite a lot of fun with this one when I played through a round of the Panzer Dragoon level as Eggman and a round of the Golden Axe level as Gillius Thunderhead.

On the Panzer Dragoon level, each lap focused around a different vehicle form and each lap played in a drastically different way, which also served as a fantastic tutorial level by giving me some time to play around the mechanics of each type of vehicle in a stage without hazards flying all over the place. While the Golden Axe level was a more complicated ordeal, with boosters functioning as ramps during the boat sections, multiple paths in the driving sections and hazards aplenty during the flying sections of the track and all of these elements were included in each lap. Oh, and it was fun.

All three vehicle forms played differently as well, with the karts functioning as traditional Mario Kart style cars, the boats contending with rolling waves knocking the players around and the planes having a mechanic where you can use tricks to effectively strafe around obstacles while maintaining top speed if you have good timing. All in all, it was better than expected~

The only reason I will probably by this game is because the other characters that might be in this enhanced Mario Kart like Ristar. I'm not buying this for Sonic at all.

On the off chance that anyone here is actually interested, I have a -75% voucher for this game on steam that I am never going to be able to use as I already own the game.

You can no longer PM me if you're at all interested, because it's taken.

Last edited:
On the off chance that anyone here is actually interested, I have a -75% voucher for this game on steam that I am never going to be able to use as I already own the game.

You can no longer PM me if you're at all interested, because it's taken.

Just a note, there's a $12 4 pack off Green Man Gaming. If you partner with someone, you can get the game cheap.

I really enjoy this game more than Mario Kart. The graphics are super sweet. The whole experience just feels exciting. And after ten years of silence, playing as Sonic in a game again just showed that the Sonic fan in me was far from dead. :D I have played this a lot on my PC, and have also tried the Wii U and 3DS demos. I don't like the 3DS version. It is missing a lot of the flare, and the controls just don't feel right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back