Has Cue's server fallen out of fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
It seems like ever since Cue brought down the MS temporarily and reinstated it with a whitelist, people seem uninterested in using it, even those who are authorized by Cue to do so. It seems like everyone is hanging out at the SigSev Café when they want to play a netgame. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

That's because people use srb2.servegame.org, which points to the SigSevCafe MS. Nobody seems to have realised I opened it back up completely yet, but hey. Also, good that they don't notice yet, if they think they can join but can't host then fantastic, keeps certain folk from hosting awful servers. :D

But if non-n00bs don't know any better than n00bs, maybe we should post an announcement or something.

It's in the thread, if they want to use it they'll read it. They come to the thread, I don't go to them. :|

People are hosting on the Sigsev Cafe because it is default, the one without inane restrictions, and also actually has servers and people playing on them. The last one being the clincher.

People use blue's ms right now because a lot of the people using it are the roleplayer/hangouters, I've seen several roleplayng servers today, nothing wrong with that as there's no rule against it, but I'm just saying, those are lots of the people using it.

The rest of the people who're using blue's server are doing it because, imo, from the time when there was only chosen people who were allowed to host, for some reason they weren't, people got bored waiting for them to host so they went to blue's server, and now these people havn't heard that everyone's allowed to host again, yet.

I really think that people should start hosting on the official master server now, before we make this entire multiple master server system going on now pointless. Because if everybody starts hosting on blue's master server then that simply means we'll have the rulebreaking problem all over again, just somewhere else, as currently BlueWarrior has no rules against roleplaying/incorrect gametypes in general, and in the end it'll make shutting down the master server a few weeks ago pointless.

Having multiple master servers was done to let the people who feel like roleplaying and other things leave the official master server and go onto a seperate one, so that good users/hosts/people on the forums could use the official one, without having the server lists cluttered up by rulebreaking servers, I don't know if that idea is going well since people are now not using the official master server.

Right now ms.srb2.org:28900 is open for anyone to host, and the users who want to roleplay are on Blue's master server, so I think people on the forums should be using this opportunity to host servers on ms.srb2.org:28900.

Responding to Blue Warrior's post below:

Yeah I guess you're right about that, people who get fed up of roleplayers on sigsev can simply just stop using that ms and leave them to do whatever they want, and we know that the official master server is back up and running anyway so it will probably work itself out.

Jazz said:
[The SigSev Cafe] also actually has servers and people playing on them. The last one being the clincher.

Well, duh! If people start hosting on a site more, then of COURSE it will have more servers and people playing on them!

I see no problems. Once a certain group of players gets tired of my master server, they'll move onto another. Just let it happen on its own.

Sciky said:
so I think people on the forums should be using this opportunity to host servers on ms.srb2.org: 28900.

(...and I lost the opportunity to host by whitelist... shame >_>)

When I get some spare time, I come back to host servers... maybe in May. :D

Anyway, if it was a plan or not, MS got rid of RP and HO servers; worked well.

* Ezer'Arch leaves and is back to his duties and other stuff *

fawfulfan said:
Jazz said:
[The SigSev Cafe] also actually has servers and people playing on them. The last one being the clincher.

Well, duh! If people start hosting on a site more, then of COURSE it will have more servers and people playing on them!

I should have worded that differently. The lack of a whitelist on the current official master server means that anyone is allowed to host, hence there will be a lot more netgames on said master server. And because there are more games on said master server, there will be more players on said master server. And if there are more players and servers on said master server, said master server is going to be more popular.

Whew.

Sciky said:
Yeah I guess you're right about that, people who get fed up of roleplayers on sigsev can simply just stop using that ms and leave them to do whatever they want, and we know that the official master server is back up and running anyway so it will probably work itself out.

This is backwards logic. The people who want to roleplay on SRB2 should find another MS to host with, or use the "Do not advertise" function. Roleplay is not a game mode supported in SRB2, so there's no reason the people looking for legit SRB2 games to have to sift through literal garbage to find a good game. I hate this logic of "If you want to use it for its intended purpose, go out of your way to." The real logic is "If you want to use it in a way different from what it's intended, do so in a way that isn't going to interrupt people trying to use it for its intended purpose."

Rob said:
The real logic is "If you want to use it in a way different from what it's intended, do so in a way that isn't going to interrupt people trying to use it for its intended purpose."

This is exactly the kind of logic that the SigSev MS is trying to fulfill. As long as everyone's hanging out / roleplaying there, srb2.org is there for anyone looking for a serious match without any major interruption of nonquality servers or annoying players.

To be quite honest, it doesn't seem to me that the people trying to use the SigSev MS seriously are "interrupted", per se. I've gotten no real complaints about the master server so far, so it seems like everyone's fine with the whole ordeal at the moment.

Blue Warrior said:
Rob said:
The real logic is "If you want to use it in a way different from what it's intended, do so in a way that isn't going to interrupt people trying to use it for its intended purpose."

This is exactly the kind of logic that the SigSev MS is trying to fulfill. As long as everyone's hanging out / roleplaying there, srb2.org is there for anyone looking for a serious match without any major interruption of nonquality servers or annoying players.

Meaning anyone who wants to use it needs to go out of their way to. It should be the other way around.

So would you rather my master server have the hangout/RP restrictions and ms.srb2.org didn't?

What I think Rob is saying that your master server shouldn't be the default if it supports gametypes that are not legit on SRB2. People should have to switch your server, and not the other way around to roleplay.

Speaking about the actual topic, people are using Blue Warrior's master server because its the default, and very few people know how to switch master servers. Hell, a lot of the MStards think that the master server is like a WOW server that cators to them and updates without them having to do anything.

Basicly, they all think SRB2 is some MMO thats free.

Things are going exactly to plan, all the MStards are on SigSev out of the way, thus removing them from the ms.srb2.org server. Perfect. :D

Did I forget anything? Oh yes, MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Rob said:
Sciky said:

This is backwards logic. The people who want to roleplay on SRB2 should find another MS to host with, or use the "Do not advertise" function. Roleplay is not a game mode supported in SRB2, so there's no reason the people looking for legit SRB2 games to have to sift through literal garbage to find a good game. I hate this logic of "If you want to use it for its intended purpose, go out of your way to." The real logic is "If you want to use it in a way different from what it's intended, do so in a way that isn't going to interrupt people trying to use it for its intended purpose."

I think you've misunderstood me.

"The people who want to roleplay on SRB2 should find another MS to host with"

That's what I said they should do, and they have done, they've gone to Blue's MS.

"Roleplay is not a game mode supported in SRB2, so there's no reason the people looking for legit SRB2 games to have to sift through literal garbage to find a good game."

I know that, that's why I'm glad all the roleplayers have moved to Blue's MS, what I'm saying is, all the people who don't want to do roleplaying are from some reason using Blue's MS as well, and since they just want to play the game the way its meant to, and they don't want to sift through a load of crap severs to find a good game, they should come back to the official MS, and we can leave all the RP/HGer's on Blue's MS.

I don't see it as the people who want to play good games are going out of their way to, they shouldn't be on Blue's MS in the first place as the original purpose was that all the good players were meant to stay on ms.srb2.org, playing netgames hosted by the 10-20 people allowed to host at the time while the MStards (as Cue put it) move out of their way to do roleplaying on a different MS, at no point were we trying to move out of our way to let them roleplay, that's not it.

The problem is people got bored waiting for people to host on ms.srb2.org at the time because noone else could except certain people, and noone was hosting (at least I didn't see anyone on the server list), or everybody just wanted to be able to host themselves, so everyone went to Blue's MS. Now we're just waiting for more servers to start appearing on ms.srb2.org which they no doubt will.

It all seems like a well thought out plan to me, here is why:
Step 1) Cue closes his master server saying that the amount of noob's there where overwhelming.
Step 2) Blue then advertises his master server which gets all/most of the Noob's joining that one (Not calling everyone there noob's or anything so please don't hurt me >.>)
Step 3) Cue then selects around 10 people who he trusts to host net games, this move further enforces the rules and the rest of the RP/hangout noobs move to blues MS
Step 4) Cue, using his ninja skills, opens up the MS completely without telling anyone (who hasn't looked at this topic), all of the Noob's are completely unaware and stay on blues MS while all of the non-noobs go to Cues MS
If this was thought out and planned then you are a bloody genius, if this is just coincidence then we must have some great luck.

I had planned to open it back up after the shovel servers had shifted elsewhere the entire time, I just didn't reveal my plan because word would have gotten round and it wouldn't have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back