Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep forgetting to watch the video :P

BTW, am I the only that finds the fact that Sonic Mania, a pixelated game, is going to available on PS4 and XONE consoles, when those consoles have such highend GPU, CPU, etc?

↑ It may not look taxing on the GPU of those consoles, and it better not be, but you can't not have system performance issues when running an imaginary port of Mania on say, the Saturn or PS1. This applies to Shovel Knight as well.

"The return of 2D Sonic !"

>they forgot Unleashed had 2D
>Colors was 95% 2D
>they forgot majority of portables is all 2D
>they forgot 70% of generations was 2D
>they forgot lost world had 2D

Yeargh.

"The return of 2D Sonic !"

>they forgot Unleashed had 2D
>Colors was 95% 2D
>they forgot majority of portables is all 2D
>they forgot 70% of generations was 2D
>they forgot lost world had 2D

Yeargh.

"Return of 2D Sonic" doesn't mean "more of modern Sonic on a 2D plane"

Also Generations wasn't the best representation of classic Sonic

Pretty sure 2D Sonic refers to using sprites rather than models.

Anyway looks rather interesting, especially the bosses.

So, there was some newly released footage of a new Zone.

Chemical Factory 1 - Clearly Chemical Plant, but with some new gimmicks and art assets. Looks neat!

Chemical Factory 2 - More Chemical Plant, but using the old layout of the original level. I'm assuming they just decided to show a section that uses the old layout for this video, as Green Hill's layout had lots of original segments.

Literally 10 minutes after I made this post, actual Sonic social media footage pops up, with some better footage of the same content shown in the Chemical Factory 1 link. fml.

Chemical Factory Act 2

Last edited:
Why is Sonic still capable of outrunning the camera? You'd think they'd be able to fix that now that they're not programming for the Genesis. Maybe they deliberately left it in for nostalgia's sake.

It's Chemical Plant, not Chemical Factory.

Even though we revisited Chemical Plant in Generations, with this rendition and music of Chemical Plant, I can't be upset. It looks absolutely amazing.

Why is Sonic still capable of outrunning the camera? You'd think they'd be able to fix that now that they're not programming for the Genesis. Maybe they deliberately left it in for nostalgia's sake.

I always believed it was a deliberate design choice to give off the sensation of going really really fast, especially since it rarely inconveniences the player when it happens. It's something that also occurred in the first Sonic Advance, and I know I've personally grown very fond of the effect and would miss it if it were removed.

Last edited:
To be frank, Sonic 2 used this gimmick... i could only replecate it on chemical plant lol

Well, that's also the only zone where you were expected to go well beyond Sonic's natural speed limit. Whether it was intentional or not, I think it had a positive influence on the game feel. (And let's be honest, at that speed, you're not going to be able to react to what's ahead of you anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back