• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Whackjood's level design shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellowJacket

The unreliable judge
I see the general screenshots/video thread is dead and closed, so I may as well join the thread bandwagon! All projects here will be worked on at my typical slow pace. So don't get your hopes up :V

Current project
Boss Rush map - I am still working on this! But my life was busy for a while, so it was on hold. Time to get back to producing this thing~

hiuid3hm4zau42zfg.jpg

2a5hf733wqrr7vffg.jpg

q4y8ddm3duri8kyfg.jpg

Projects I'd like to make
Co-op puzzle level
The Egg Project (a level pack I've worked on and off at for a few months now)
Egg project level themes; Tropical island, snowy/viking mountain, Egyptian desert with lava, City, Steampunk factory, oriental floating islands
NiGHTs special stages

Also because I cannot wrap my head around even the basics of Lua, I will most likely use this thread to make Lua requests when I need them. Sorry ;_;

Question about the Boss Rush map, will the player have any rings or will it just be a no ring boss rush?

I am loving the look of that boss rush map so far, gonna love playing through the boss battles like that.

Question about the Boss Rush map, will the player have any rings or will it just be a no ring boss rush?
I just plan on giving the player three rings at the start.

I mentioned a while back in the general project screenshots thread that I planned on giving the player access to shields and more rings at the expense of missing out on a bonus boss fight with old brak, but I decided that was convuluted and stupid. So you'll just be given three rings and away you go.

If you want you can just not collect those rings, but you wouldn't gain anything for it, other than a self imposed challenge.

giving the player access to shields and more rings at the expense of missing out on a bonus boss fight with old brak

The question now is whether or not old Brak makes it into the Boss Rush at all. I would assume not, considering he's no longer part of the main lineup.

A noseless fox can dream though...

Could probably hide a secret passage in one of the boss stages (Metal Sonic's?) or a hidden switch somewhere.

Could probably hide a secret passage in one of the boss stages (Metal Sonic's?) or a hidden switch somewhere.

That would be clever for the Metal Sonic boss fight. When it changes music to the Old Brak Theme from 2.0, the zoom tube will drop the player in the old Brak arena.

The question now is whether or not old Brak makes it into the Boss Rush at all. I would assume not, considering he's no longer part of the main lineup.
Actually, I would very much like to include old Brak anyway. But there is the issue of Old Brak and the Sea Egg sharing the same waypoints. So I would either need to use some kind of lua magic to teleport the waypoints to the old Brak arena, or (because of the silly way these waypoints work) build the old Brak arena directly above the Sea Egg arena. Obviously that's a terrible idea though.

Also, I've been wondering, as I have given the boss arenas a visual make over to fit the ERZ theme, what should I do with the ERZ boss arenas? Just leaving them the same feels wrong to me. Any suggestions?

Hmm. Make them like a Tron room. Or how about using the Doomship's textures? I guess it would look good.

I would think that there's some way in Lua to move the waypoints... so you could move the waypoints after Boss3 is defeated.

So I would need to build the old Brak arena directly above the Sea Egg arena.

No, build it UNDER the Sea Egg arena. Have the entry method being the floor collapsing after you push the button and backtracking to the Sea Egg arena.

Also, I've been wondering, as I have given the boss arenas a visual make over to fit the ERZ theme, what should I do with the ERZ boss arenas? Just leaving them the same feels wrong to me. Any suggestions?
You could go 1 of 3 ways;

1. Take a look at the Sonic 2 hack, Robotnik's Revenge and work from that.

2. Make the arenas look like their original versions, but in the form of metal walls, floors and ceilings.
or......
3. Keep them as is.

Hope these help.

I would also point out that old Brak is probably not going to be the size he should be on spawn. (or rather, everything else isn't, since of course old ERZ3 mode isn't used)

More like his entire physics, but sure.

Thankfully I also went to the effort of making all of old Brak's stuff automatically scale with him for 2.1, so it's really only Brak himself that needs to be scaled up! =P

...alternatively we could be evil and shrink the player for the old Brak arena, keeping in mind the arena will also have to be tiny too?

Hmm. Make them like a Tron room.
Not a bad idea. I said before realising that SRB2's cyber texture set is less than stellar. Well here's what I came up with in attempting that.

2bmlonynjb55mg8fg.jpg

Thankfully I also went to the effort of making all of old Brak's stuff automatically scale with him for 2.1, so it's really only Brak himself that needs to be scaled up! =P
How very convenient! Thank you~

Not a bad idea. I said before realising that SRB2's cyber texture set is less than stellar. Well here's what I came up with in attempting that.

2bmlonynjb55mg8fg.jpg

I... I actually like how that looks, except I personally believe that if the metal sonic arena is gonna be tron themed like that, the whole area should use tron-esque textures, instead of just certain areas (such as find a red version of the green texture shown (with the lines forming arrows) and use that to replace the ERZ texture that had red arrows).

I... I actually like how that looks, except I personally believe that if the metal sonic arena is gonna be tron themed like that, the whole area should use tron-esque textures, instead of just certain areas (such as find a red version of the green texture shown (with the lines forming arrows) and use that to replace the ERZ texture that had red arrows).

Maybe make wired-framed textures of the textures that are out of place?

Last edited:
I... I actually like how that looks, except I personally believe that if the metal sonic arena is gonna be tron themed like that, the whole area should use tron-esque textures, instead of just certain areas
I've used a few other textures to break up the blocks of black colour. All of the cyber textures in SRB2 have a lot of empty black space in them and as such it was pretty bland to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back