Computer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.U.B.I.K.

For some reason, my mother's computer will not boot. Right after the Dell screen, it says:
A disk read error has occurred
press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart
It allows me to go into the boot menu (F12 on dell screen), but it will not even boot from the windows installation CD-ROM.
F8 doesn't work at all. Can I save the computer, or did it finally kick the bucket?

R.U.B.I.K. said:
Silent_Snipe said:
Just simply reinstall windows? you don't have to buy a new computer just install windows again
I told you, it will not even boot from the installation CD.
Then you need to change the boot priority so it reads the CD first or because your CD is damaged

Silent_Snipe said:
R.U.B.I.K. said:
Silent_Snipe said:
Just simply reinstall windows? you don't have to buy a new computer just install windows again
I told you, it will not even boot from the installation CD.
Then you need to change the boot priority so it reads the CD first or because your CD is damaged
Well, i changed the boot priority. It said: "setup is checking the configuration of the machine" or something like that. Then...nothing happens. The screen just goes blank.

I had this problem a while ago. Make sure nothing is in your CD drive and start it up.

Of course, this problem kept happening to me afterward. I did a few hard resets (Ie. Holding down the power button on your computer until it turns off) and then it decided to start working again.

I consider it to be a common error with windows where you try and load something from the CD drive upon boot IF there's anything in there.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
I had this problem a while ago. Make sure nothing is in your CD drive and start it up.

Of course, this problem kept happening to me afterward. I did a few hard resets (Ie. Holding down the power button on your computer until it turns off) and then it decided to start working again.

I consider it to be a common error with windows where you try and load something from the CD drive upon boot IF there's anything in there.
It happened without anything in my CD drive.

Before you get rid of it see if you can salvage anything from it after you install the replacement C drive. (Make the old one a temporary d drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back