Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that challenge was a battle with the game's shitty controls, not anything actually difficult. Have you seen those Generations level ports? They literally just hold the boost button to win.

Not really able to argue well on this point since it's been forever since I played it, but I remember the levels having actual content and challenges in them even with the shitty controls disregarded. I haven't seen the level ports, but it's probably not fair to compare since they're two different engines, even if the mechanics are similar.

This is all besides the point, which is that Rise of Lyric is a buggy, bland, unfinished game and is bad. No one can argue Secret Rings isn't flawed, but at least it, Heroes, and Shadow are complete products with finished cutscenes containing proper SFX or music cues, minimal or minor bugs, and a framerate that isn't terrible. Rise of Lyric's graphics are poorly representative of the system, the cutscene presentation is garbage, the music is lame and forgettable, and you can glitch through terrain without really trying... How can you consider this game better than any of those when its presentation is so bad on virtually all fronts? Is it because you get to fight three versions of the same enemy and move slowly through generic platforming sections while all four characters shoehorn one-liners and advice throughout the game? Because I think I'll just stomach the motion controls and ride on a magic carpet and jump on dinosaurs 'n' shit, because I think that's at least cooler than what Lyric has to offer.

Oh, so if I don't like someone's wad, I can bitch about it as much as I want because any unconstructive criticism I can offer is automatically worsened by any response someone could come up with? What do you want from me? I didn't make this game. If someone doesn't want Half-Life 2 to have motion blur, am I not allowed to tell them how to turn it off? I'm not saying "if you don't like the voices, don't play the game", I'm literally telling you how to make the experience more comfortable and you're giving me the finger because of it.

The problem is not that I have to listen to the dialogue, but that the dialogue is executed so poorly that I wouldn't ever want to have it on. Like, this isn't a matter of preference, it's objectively badly designed. Characters yammer constantly about nothing, either that or they keep giving you tutorials on things you already know or should be obvious. If they had toned down the frequency of the voice clips to something reasonable, I wouldn't even bring it up. Hell, I might even keep the dialogue on if I was playing the game.

I'm not "giving you the finger" for recommending that one use the option to make the experience more tolerable. I'm telling you that the voice acting is a significant feature of the game, and being able to turn it off does not change the fact that they messed it up.

Yeah, OR they could add challenge, and not make you eat dirt cause you messed up. Exactly what do I gain from losing all my lives and restarting a level that I don't gain from DYING ITSELF? If I die, I know "oh, so I did something wrong". If I lose all my lives and have to restart a level from the very beginning, I know exactly the same thing, but my playtime has been needlessly extended. "No challenge" is Kirby's Epic Yarn. You CANNOT DIE. There is NO PENALTY for screwing up. Here, you die. You have to go back, and you lose a bunch of your shit. And that's somehow completely unpunishing, huh?
I have a lot of things to say about this particular blurb, so I'll contain it in spoilers for the sake of page length.

Okay, so... GameSpot tells me this is how death works:

"Collectible rings are your health, and if you lose all of them, you'll pass out, but that's meaningless because you respawn exactly where you were in whatever battle you were waging, with the enemies' health exactly where you left it. The only punishment for death is losing gear, a currency used to upgrade your characters, but you'll have so much gear that it's less than a slap on the wrist."

Respawning exactly where you died with no change in enemy health is analogous to dying in a coin-op shmup or beat-em-up, where you just have to insert coins to continue where you left off. Except in this game you don't have to do that, meaning death is literally irrelevant.

Lives are required in coin-op games, many platformers, and so on to create tension in gameplay, and make you really care about not dying so you don't lose all your progress. Gaming over in Sonic, Mario, or Rocket Knight Adventures is actually not a problem in this regard, because most levels in these old games are actually designed to be played multiple times through, with hidden secrets or advanced techniques allowing skilled players to clear the game more quickly and earn more lives. In this sense, lives are generally good game design, because they increase design space in ways where they can get the player to care about different elements of the game.

Not all games are designed to support a lives system, of course, and that's okay. I just wanted to fix your naivety regarding lives as a general game mechanic, but the real reason I brought up lives in the first place was not because the game needs lives specifically, but because the game needs any punishment for screwing up badly in order for dying to have real weight. If the review is anything to go by, loss of gear is not a real drawback, and having to respawn at an earlier checkpoint is not a consistent drawback, especially with Rise of Lyric's lame-ass platforming being as tame as it is.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is a very easy game to brease through, but it actually does have challenge, ironically more than Return to Dreamland does IMO. The challenge of Epic Yarn is in finding enough gems to S-rank each level, and getting hit or falling into a pit significantly reduces your gem count. Just because a game's skill floor is rock bottom does not mean the player isn't rewarded for skill. Sonic Boom gives you fucking... rings for performing certain tasks when you're almost guaranteed to have 100 rings in many circumstances. This reinforces the game's low skill ceiling and inability to challenge the player.

Yeah, but a hands on opinion with no fact or reason is still astronomically better than an opinion that has no fact, reason, or hands-on experience. If someone who had no experience with video games was told by one person that "Sonic game is badly designed" by a person with no experience with said
game, and then a third person with experience with the game said "no, it's not", who should the first person be more inclined to believe?
This entire quote is irrelevant unless you are able to debunk the idea that my arguments are based off of fact and reason.

"Oh, this tutorial is not particularly interesting compared to the rest of the game, I'll give this game a 1/10!"
This is an attempt to twist my original argument, like Matt said. (I was contemplating using that same website! lol)

No, that's wrong. I don't care what you want to pretend you think, Sonic is a niche market at this point. It's made only for Sonic fans, and most of the time, only Sonic fans buy it. The same thing happened with Megaman, the only difference is that Sonic's fanbase is large enough that it will last longer before the series goes under. If Sonic fans don't like a new Sonic game, nobody will.
Once again, you are hyper-generalizing. People other than committed Sonic fans have bought Sonic Generations and considered it a good game. Critics of course are among these; Danny Sexbang from Game Grumps has recently gone on record saying he genuinely enjoyed Sonic Colors, and I don't recall him being a "Sonic fan". I don't really consider myself a Sonic fan (I'm here for the fangame, not the series it's derived from), and I thought Generations was pretty good; I've also been tempted many times to get Lost World for the Wii U even in spite of some of the reviews, although I'm still waiting for the price to drop a bit. I'm sure I could come up with more examples from other internet forums I go to, but I think you get my point.

Only one of those is a complaint, you realize. And even that could be a good thing, if "feeling like a Sonic game" refers to any part of the dark age

No, feeling like a Sonic game means that Sonic is doing what you would expect him to be doing. It's not fast, it doesn't feel like how you would expect him to play, very few Sonic elements are actually intact outside of rings and the occasional speed segment, and... blue bounce pads...?

Oh don't play the bias card on me. I'm not seeing you recognize any strengths of the game. Why does my argument now have to be somehow more complicated and forced than yours?

I saved this quote for last, because I think it is the most important.

Exactly what strengths does the game have? I'm looking at your original rant about how Sonic Boom is average, and seemingly the best thing you had to say about it was "This game is unpolished, but it works." And this is inaccurate, because sometimes the game isn't particularly functional, as can be seen by gameplay footage where Sonic inadvertently falls through the floor. You have failed to address my points that Rise of Lyric has poor framerate, offers no challenge, and is rife with gamebreaking bugs, and you didn't even address my other criticisms with any concrete defense other than unsupported, subjective counter-arguments, or in the case of voice acting, criticism-deflection via "just turn it off if you don't like it".

Is my argument complicated or forced? Or are you forcing me to complicate my argument by requiring me to argue against 1) opinions you haven't backed up, and 2) your misinterpretations of my own arguments? You say in another quote that a person's opinion with no fact or reason behind his arguments is worth less than someone's opinion with hands-on experience of the game, but why is it that I am expected to be rational and factual in this debate, while you are content with being subjective with your viewpoints on the game, and manipulative with strawmen and other logical fallacies to make your argument appear more valid? We have already established that owning the game doesn't automatically elevate your viewpoint to a higher status than mine, so you're going to have to come up with a better defense than what you've currently provided.

Last edited:
tumblr_nfzcucexRF1r2d4e6o1_1280.gif

Phantom_Gadget_Zone.gif

Finally got around to playing through Shattered Crystal, and while I'm not looking to get any half-baked arguments in return right now, I feel I need to voice my feelings on the 3DS Sonic Boom title, since I couldn't give a conclusive analysis before. So in short, Shattered Crystal is...egh.
If Rise of Lyric was a flawed, cracked, ground-up diamond, then Shattered Crystal is if said diamond was actually coal. It does it's job better and it's way more consistent - but it's a much less enjoyable experience overall and you might get lung cancer from it.
Rise of Lyric had a lot more fun to it - but it also had a lot more boredom. It was much more a game of extremes. With Shattered Crystal, you're spending your whole playtime in a purgatory of not quite fun, not quite boredom, and I find that makes me regret my time spent with it where I didn't with RoL. It was much more functional, yes. There were much less graphical pops, glitches, inconsistencies and such, but the core mechanics are just worse designed as a whole. I can say I like a fair amount of the adventure Rise of Lyric has to offer. If I drew a chart:
2/3 enjoyable if not particularly mind-blowing beat-em-up platformer
1/6 Boring later areas of the game where they throw fight after fight after fight at you with little to no platforming in between
1/6 walking
But Shattered Crystal doesn't offer the ability to provide such a chart, because I can't classify what I found enjoyable -- if anything. I could say I liked the worm tunnel levels, but looking back they were just kind okay. I could say I appreciate the flow of the 2D levels, especially compared to the Wii U game, but it's just going through the same motions I've gone through for the entire rest of the Sonic franchise, and it's starting to wear thin. I've said the same about the Mario franchise, how every entry has more and more life sucked out of it (at least since Galaxy) but because we've just recently (relatively speaking) exited a time of pain and suffering for Sonic, it's all the more glaring.

If I had to pick which game I'd replay, it'd be Rise of Lyric, for the simple reason that Shattered Crystal has no charm. Every other good Sonic game (or average, as RoL and Lost World would have it) has had some form of charm to it. It's felt like it's got some form of love put into it. The Sonic Adventure games, Sonic Colors and Generations, and the newer Wii U titles have at least had jokes. They've had good writing. And while I'm not about to say SC's writing is the worst ever, it just doesn't offer anything. It feels like this game was made specifically to be another Sonic game for people to shell out money for. RoL, while unpolished, at least knows it's place and tries it's hardest with what it's been given (and that's not much, considering the crap it went through being ported to the Wii U in just more than a year, with an engine not optimized for it at all). And while I suppose RoL is technically inferior in terms of quality I guess, I'd still rather play that because it tries and fails, while Shattered Crystal succeeds at not trying.

That said, would I recommend either Boom game to a non Sonic-fan? I don't know, probably not. I think Rise of Lyric offers a much more fun experience, having more original ideas and excellent writing and acting. Shattered Crystal is obviously the more complete game, but it's something that you have so many better options than that you really shouldn't bother. It's similar to Generations 3DS in almost every respect.

So with all that in mind, are both games undeniable pieces of garbage, worse than Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic 06?

No. I'm sorry, but a statement like that just reeks of blind fanboy hate. If that's really what you think, I'm sorry, but it gives me reason to believe you either don't actually have any experience with these titles, or you're stretching so far the elastic is about to tear.

I keep trying to make reviews for these titles on my YT channel, but it's just not something I'm able to do. I get as far as "played better, played worse" and then I have nothing else to say because that is literally all there is to say about these titles, in terms of getting my point across quickly.

Last edited:
I was wondering when you'd come back to this thread. :p

I enjoy having discussions on game design, so I'm a little disappointed that you continue to harp on how "anti-RoL fanboys" are blind, yet you've completely ignored mine and Matt's latest responses when they're still quite relevant to your soapbox. I'm also trying to figure out if your comment about "half-baked" arguments is in reference to me or not; I believe I've been pretty thorough thus far, but the tone of your post makes me think that you're still just discarding those opinions without a second thought.

I won't ask you to go through my previous post, it's kinda long and I'm sure you're too busy to take the time to honestly defend (or admit the defeat of) your own arguments, but I do have a couple questions for you regarding some of the things you've said:

I can say I like a fair amount of the adventure Rise of Lyric has to offer. If I drew a chart:
2/3 enjoyable if not particularly mind-blowing beat-em-up platformer
1/6 Boring later areas of the game where they throw fight after fight after fight at you with little to no platforming in between
1/6 walking
[edit; slightly misread this initially] What part of the platforming is enjoyable? It all looks slow and nontreacherous. Even the combat seems to just boil down to pressing A a bunch of times or throwing enemies off cliffs, and if you die, you just respawn where you died. Between the basic, non-treacherous "puzzle" platforming and the repetitive combat sections, it all looks very formulaic and unengaging.

So with all that in mind, are both games undeniable pieces of garbage, worse than Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic 06?

No. I'm sorry, but a statement like that just reeks of blind fanboy hate. If that's really what you think, I'm sorry, but it gives me reason to believe you either don't actually have any experience with these titles, or you're stretching so far the elastic is about to tear.

I don't identify as a Sonic fan; I've done my research on the game (both through reviews and gameplay footage) and applied my own knowledge about game design to this subject; do I qualify as a blind fanboy?

Actually, here's a better one: If someone actually played the game and thought it sucked, can he then dismiss your arguments as coming from a blind fanboy apologetic? You keep charging this "your opinion is less valid than mine" sentiment with "you haven't played it" or "you're exaggerating", but you seem less interested in listening to the actual reasoning of the people you're discrediting because you've already decided your viewpoint is the correct one.

Look, I don't even care if the Sonic Boom games are any good or not; it's not something I have an emotional investment in. I'm just trying to understand why you have this vile attitude over the criticism of Lyric, when you could just say "Yeah, this game is pretty shitty, but I still enjoy it." I like Sonic R because I think it's charming game with some nice ideas, but it's still objectively shitty. There's nothing wrong with admitting that.

Last edited:
You play as Sticks in the 3DS version, not sure about the Wii U version though. I don't think she appears in that one.

Sticks is in the Wii U game, though you don't play as her; she's just another NPC. She gives Crowns as exchange for the Shinies you found. I'm also pretty sure she was rushed in that instance, as you could've had another NPC do the same thing, with no real value lost. I guess it was just for the sake of convenience to have her appear somewhere within the Wii U game, since virtually all of her time between both games is most spent on 3DS.

I enjoy having discussions on game design, so I'm a little disappointed that you continue to harp on how "anti-RoL fanboys" are blind, yet you've completely ignored mine and Matt's latest responses when they're still quite relevant to your soapbox. I'm also trying to figure out if your comment about "half-baked" arguments is in reference to me or not; I believe I've been pretty thorough thus far, but the tone of your post makes me think that you're still just discarding those opinions without a second thought.
Because I just didn't want to argue with you anymore. I was tired of it. Neither of us were getting anywhere with one another.

I won't ask you to go through my previous post, it's kinda long and I'm sure you're too busy to take the time to honestly defend (or admit the defeat of) your own arguments, but I do have a couple questions for you regarding some of the things you've said:

Could you give us an example of how Lyric's combat/platforming was "mind-blowing"? Between the basic, non-treacherous "puzzle" platforming and the repetitive combat sections, it all looks very formulaic to me.
It is formulaic. My point was that it was not mind-blowing. It just works for me. I'm never going to claim that the game is in any way original or even necessarily a good game. It's just that there's so, so many worse games, even in the Sonic series. I'd still play it any day over Heroes, Shadow, 06, Secret Rings, Black Knight (maybe?), or Unleashed (though I have some odd personal reasons for disliking Unleashed). And I don't even hate all those games. I like Heroes well enough. I just think this game is better.

I don't identify as a Sonic fan; I've done my research on the game (both through reviews and gameplay footage) and applied my own knowledge about game design to this subject; do I qualify as a blind fanboy?
Not necessarily. I just think that you need to play a game to fully judge it. If you had simply said "nah, I really just don't think I wanna play it" I'd have no problem.

Actually, here's a better one: If someone actually played the game and thought it sucked, can he then dismiss your arguments as coming from a blind fanboy apologetic? You keep charging this "your opinion is less valid than mine" sentiment with "you haven't played it" or "you're exaggerating", but you seem less interested in listening to the actual reasoning of the people you're discrediting because you've already decided your viewpoint is the correct one.
Well, I'd have no problem if someone who's played it thinks it sucks. I mean, I'm a big fan of SomeCallMeJohnny, and he likes Sonic 06 more than this game. I still don't agree with him, but I'm not going to ignore the rest of his videos forever because of it.

Look, I don't even care if the Sonic Boom games are any good or not; it's not something I have an emotional investment in. I'm just trying to understand why you have this vile attitude over the criticism of Lyric, when you could just say "Yeah, this game is pretty shitty, but I still enjoy it." I like Sonic R because I think it's charming game with some nice ideas, but it's still objectively shitty. There's nothing wrong with admitting that.
Because I'm not against criticism over the game, I'm against the idea that because someone says "lol wors than 06" everyone has to follow suit because it's a Sonic game that was of low quality. Hell, I'll say that this is the worst console Sonic game since before 2010, but I'm still not going to say that it's a horrible game, because it's more like a good-average game that has horrible things about it. Most of the things in BSC's playthrough or ClementJ642's review could accurately describe how I feel. I'm not saying anyone should waste $50 on this, god no. It's just that it's still an enjoyable game, and that if it's maybe $20 or a rental, it's worth playing, because it has quite a few shining aspects that I think make it overall closer to a good game than a bad one.

It's still glitchy, the hub worlds are still too big, the graphics are still really inconsistent about whether they want to look good, and the framerate's still crap. But I'm talking about everything else. The core gameplay is unoriginal, but it functions. The writing is good, the music is...tolerable, I guess, the voice acting is superb, and there are a lot of creative level designs here. I don't think it has a lot of replayability, but excluding the first and last stages, I still think this is a game that people should be able to get along with and that hasn't been given enough of a chance. (I think that the reason the game is so much longer than your average Sonic game is because you're only going to play through it once, regardless of the quality - there's just no reason to do it a second time unless you're reviewing it or LPing it)

The whole "you didn't play it" thing isn't really even a problem I have with you - the sheer mass of people I've seen on other forums, in youtube comments, skype chats, who have criticized this game, most haven't even given the demo a shot. It's more that I've gotten so used to people not giving me worthwhile arguments because they haven't played it that when you give me a worthwhile argument regardless of your experience, I guess I just hadn't really noticed what I was doing.

Shattered Crystal still kinda sucks, though.

Not necessarily. I just think that you need to play a game to fully judge it. If you had simply said "nah, I really just don't think I wanna play it" I'd have no problem.
Of course, you'd have to play Superman 64 to fully judge it as well, but footage can still go a long way. The point is that personal experience doesn't affect the validity of the argument.

Because I just didn't want to argue with you anymore. I was tired of it. Neither of us were getting anywhere with one another.

I don't think it has to be this way, it's just that you're focusing too much on attacking the bandwagon and you're skipping some of my arguments about the game itself in the process. I'll go over this quote because it'll wrap everything up nicely (and also because it's the most honest argument you've made so far)

Because I'm not against criticism over the game, I'm against the idea that because someone says "lol wors than 06" everyone has to follow suit because it's a Sonic game that was of low quality. Hell, I'll say that this is the worst console Sonic game since before 2010, but I'm still not going to say that it's a horrible game, because it's more like a good-average game that has horrible things about it. Most of the things in BSC's playthrough or ClementJ642's review could accurately describe how I feel. I'm not saying anyone should waste $50 on this, god no. It's just that it's still an enjoyable game, and that if it's maybe $20 or a rental, it's worth playing, because it has quite a few shining aspects that I think make it overall closer to a good game than a bad one.

It's still glitchy, the hub worlds are still too big, the graphics are still really inconsistent about whether they want to look good, and the framerate's still crap. But I'm talking about everything else. The core gameplay is unoriginal, but it functions. The writing is good, the music is...tolerable, I guess, the voice acting is superb, and there are a lot of creative level designs here. I don't think it has a lot of replayability, but excluding the first and last stages, I still think this is a game that people should be able to get along with and that hasn't been given enough of a chance. (I think that the reason the game is so much longer than your average Sonic game is because you're only going to play through it once, regardless of the quality - there's just no reason to do it a second time unless you're reviewing it or LPing it)

The whole "you didn't play it" thing isn't really even a problem I have with you - the sheer mass of people I've seen on other forums, in youtube comments, skype chats, who have criticized this game, most haven't even given the demo a shot. It's more that I've gotten so used to people not giving me worthwhile arguments because they haven't played it that when you give me a worthwhile argument regardless of your experience, I guess I just hadn't really noticed what I was doing.

The sentence in bold is your thesis: Rise of Lyric is a game that is fundamentally decent game but is hampered by severe flaws.

The underlined sentences are your main arguments in support of this -- with my comments following them:

* The core gameplay is functional -- a lot of games are functional, but this isn't really a selling point. Even if there were no gamebreaking bugs, one of the main problems is that it doesn't really match its source material (it doesn't play like any other Sonic game at all, and the only staples that follow are the most prominent side-characters, and rings), or even have much of an identity of its own. It looks and plays like a licensed Disney/Dreamworks game, with slow-paced platforming, jarring speed sections, and decidedly-okay combat. In other words, Rise of Lyric is a licensed game at its core, which is functional, but not interesting.
* The voice acting and writing are good (I'm conjoining these for the sake of flow) -- I won't reject nor support the statement regarding voices, as I think Sonic VAing on the whole has been pretty good lately. I will say the only character whose voice pisses me off is Amy because she sounds like Minnie Mouse. The problem is that the dialogue and writing brings it down. As I've said before, every playable character talks throughout the entire game and continuously says obvious things as if the player is still in a tutorial ("these ramps can be used as ramps!" kill me). Metal Sonic and Shadow show up for like a second and don't do really do anything relevant towards the plot. Fucking time travel randomly shows up as a hamstringed plot device.... I don't know, I'd rather just watch the show, man.
* Creative level designs -- Sure, level design can be pretty varied, but a lot of it is half-heartedly executed. Like the floor puzzles that are just kind of... there, and wait leisurely for you to step on the next block with no dangers or anything. Really, what it mainly comes down to is that the platforming is too slow and non-perilous to be that interesting.

I stand by what I said in the first place: I think calling Lyric that much better than Sonic '06 is giving it too much credit. I mean, even with the bugs and the obnoxious dialogue excluded, you have to give Shadow and Unleashed more credit for having a solid idea of what it wanted to be. Splitting the game up into polar opposites the way Unleashed did was stupid, neither version has very good difficulty control, and the Wii controls sucked; but it has good pacing once you get into the levels, an actual risk-reward system, the music is great (barring the repetitive werehog battle theme), and it well-establishes the game's "dual nature" theming through the structure of the game's progression. Lyric just somehow manages to be all over the place yet sluggish at the same time.

Just to be clear: I wouldn't say Lyric is the worst Sonic game of all time. That title goes to Sonic Labyrinth. Or Sonic Free Riders. I dunno. I'm just saying, it's pretty bad. Like, its best qualities are average qualities, and its worst are... you get the idea. At best, it'd be like a 5.5/10.

Last edited:
* The core gameplay is functional -- a lot of games are functional, but this isn't really a selling point. Even if there were no gamebreaking bugs, one of the main problems is that it doesn't really match its source material (it doesn't play like any other Sonic game at all, and the only staples that follow are the most prominent side-characters, and rings), or even have much of an identity of its own. It looks and plays like a licensed Disney/Dreamworks game, with slow-paced platforming, jarring speed sections, and decidedly-okay combat. In other words, Rise of Lyric is a licensed game at its core, which is functional, but not interesting.
I'm not going to deny that, but I think it's not about it's similarities to other games that should determine it's supposed quality. I think that, excluding the speed sections, the game can be fun just in the way it utilizes the four characters. I wouldn't say that the homing attack has gotten much more interesting as a platforming gimmick, but the other characters, especially Knuckles and Amy, have some more creative stuff in their sections. It's the differences from the regular games that make it unique. I don't see why something made as a spinoff needs to conform to the rules of the main series, isn't that the reason it was made as a spinoff?

* The voice acting and writing are good (I'm conjoining these for the sake of flow) -- I won't reject nor support the statement regarding voices, as I think Sonic VAing on the whole has been pretty good lately. I will say the only character whose voice pisses me off is Amy because she sounds like Minnie Mouse. The problem is that the dialogue and writing brings it down. As I've said before, every playable character talks throughout the entire game and continuously says obvious things as if the player is still in a tutorial ("these ramps can be used as ramps!" kill me). Metal Sonic and Shadow show up for like a second and don't do really do anything relevant towards the plot. Fucking time travel randomly shows up as a hamstringed plot device.... I don't know, I'd rather just watch the show, man.[/QUOTE]
When I say writing, I mean the cutscenes. The character interactions and the animations (I know that ain't writing) are just really well done.
* Creative level designs -- Sure, level design can be pretty varied, but a lot of it is half-heartedly executed. Like the floor puzzles that are just kind of... there, and wait leisurely for you to step on the next block with no dangers or anything. Really, what it mainly comes down to is that the platforming is too slow and non-perilous to be that interesting.[/QUOTE}
There are hazards. They start throwing lasers and bullets at you like it's a vertical shooter later on.

I stand by what I said in the first place: I think calling Lyric that much better than Sonic '06 is giving it too much credit. I mean, even with the bugs and the obnoxious dialogue excluded, you have to give Shadow and Unleashed more credit for having a solid idea of what it wanted to be. Splitting the game up into polar opposites the way Unleashed did was stupid, neither version has very good difficulty control, and the Wii controls sucked; but it has good pacing once you get into the levels, an actual risk-reward system, the music is great (barring the repetitive werehog battle theme), and it well-establishes the game's "dual nature" theming through the structure of the game's progression. Lyric just somehow manages to be all over the place yet sluggish at the same time.
I think you're underestimating Sonic 06's shittiness here, and I don't understand what you mean about the pace of the level. If you mean literally how fast characters are moving, then I disagree completely. It's just fighting and platforming, then speed section, repeat ad infinitum. Maybe one or two levels start or end with a speed section, but it's mostly consistent. The only exceptions are stuff like the riptide boat or the submarine section, and both of those only happen once.

Just to be clear: I wouldn't say Lyric is the worst Sonic game of all time. That title goes to Sonic Labyrinth. Or Sonic Free Riders. I dunno. I'm just saying, it's pretty bad. Like, its best qualities are average qualities, and its worst are... you get the idea. At best, it'd be like a 5.5/10.
A 5.5 is much better than Sonic 06.

I'm not going to deny that, but I think it's not about it's similarities to other games that should determine it's supposed quality. I think that, excluding the speed sections, the game can be fun just in the way it utilizes the four characters. I wouldn't say that the homing attack has gotten much more interesting as a platforming gimmick, but the other characters, especially Knuckles and Amy, have some more creative stuff in their sections. It's the differences from the regular games that make it unique. I don't see why something made as a spinoff needs to conform to the rules of the main series, isn't that the reason it was made as a spinoff?

Hey now, I never said it needs to conform to its ruleset. What I'm saying is that it doesn't really have much of anything to connect with the source it's drawing off of, mechanically or thematically.

Like, Hyrule Warriors is completely different from your typical Zelda game, and this is by intention -- but it still links everything together with familiar enemies, staple items, and a plethora of previous Zelda characters like Sheik, Midna, etc. as playable characters. Same deal with Paper Mario. Rise of Lyric has the four staple "Sonic heroes", Eggman, a side cameo from Shadow and Metal, rings, and that's about as far as they went to linking the two worlds together. I mean, would have been neat to see some motobugs and buzz bombers or something, like in the show.

My main point was just that its gameplay is all over the place and doesn't seem congruent. The speed sections look thrown in as an afterthought to make it "feel" like a Sonic game in between the platforming and combat sections.

When I say writing, I mean the cutscenes. The character interactions and the animations (I know that ain't writing) are just really well done.
Eh. They were okay I guess, from an artistic standpoint. As for the technical side...
There are hazards. They start throwing lasers and bullets at you like it's a vertical shooter later on.
Must come fairly late then, because I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

I think you're underestimating Sonic 06's shittiness here, and I don't understand what you mean about the pace of the level. If you mean literally how fast characters are moving, then I disagree completely. It's just fighting and platforming, then speed section, repeat ad infinitum. Maybe one or two levels start or end with a speed section, but it's mostly consistent. The only exceptions are stuff like the riptide boat or the submarine section, and both of those only happen once.

A 5.5 is much better than Sonic 06.

...Mhh. Sonic '06 is like 5.4 at best. And again, I say "at best". "At worst" would be like... 2.5 for both games.

I'm just tired of constant gameplay-style swapping, which as been around since like Sonic Adventure 2, so maybe it's not a very good argument for comparison.

[more challenging floor "puzzles"] Must come fairly late then, because I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

The most I've seen is that they throw a couple of enemies at you. However, that doesn't add even a slight challenge, because not only are they pathetically easy, but your friends kill them for you while you do the puzzle.

Hey now, I never said it needs to conform to its ruleset. What I'm saying is that it doesn't really have much of anything to connect with the source it's drawing off of, mechanically or thematically.

Like, Hyrule Warriors is completely different from your typical Zelda game, and this is by intention -- but it still links everything together with familiar enemies, staple items, and a plethora of previous Zelda characters like Sheik, Midna, etc. as playable characters. Same deal with Paper Mario. Rise of Lyric has the four staple "Sonic heroes", Eggman, a side cameo from Shadow and Metal, rings, and that's about as far as they went to linking the two worlds together. I mean, would have been neat to see some motobugs and buzz bombers or something, like in the show.
Well, it's not meant to link, is it? It's kinda been meant to be something completely different since the beginning. I mean, should they have tried to shoehorn in Shadow's entire backstory? We still know that Eggman's a robot-building bastard, that Sonic and Knuckles are rivals, that Amy is in love with Sonic (though in a much, much less obnoxious portrayal), and that Tails is a gearhead with a love of planes. I think that's all we need to get a series that feels familiar but different, an that's what it's been intended as from the start.
My main point was just that its gameplay is all over the place and doesn't seem congruent. The speed sections look thrown in as an afterthought to make it "feel" like a Sonic game in between the platforming and combat sections.
Well, I understand that, and to be honest the only speed sections I like are the Metal Sonic fight and the water-running sections, but the fanbase kinda brought the speed sections upon themselves with the whole "not a Sonic game" business that's happened to so many other games.

Eh. They were okay I guess, from an artistic standpoint. As for the technical side...
I know that, there's a lot of weird fuckups, and I think this game would massively benefit from a patch that gets rid of the graphical errors and the glitches, not to mention the dialogue (which about 2 people in existence seem to know is something you can turn off).

...Mhh. Sonic '06 is like 5.4 at best.
PFFFFFFFT. Sonic 06 doesn't deserve HALF that score. That's a score for Shadow or Secret Rings. Like, seriously. Do you know? Cause I don't think you know. Like, I'm not even mad, I'm really just wondering. Like, have you played all of 06? Cause I have. And, like, a 5.4 is, like, apologetic fanboy rating compared to what that game deserves.

Like, holy shit.

I'm just tired of constant gameplay-style swapping, which as been around since like Sonic Adventure 2, so maybe it's not a very good argument for comparison.
I get what you're saying, and honestly I can kinda agree, but that isn't really an issue with the game itself

Last edited:
PFFFFFFFT. Sonic 06 doesn't deserve HALF that score. That's a score for Shadow or Secret Rings. Like, seriously. Do you know? Cause I don't think you know. Like, I'm not even mad, I'm really just wondering. Like, have you played all of 06? Cause I have. And, like, a 5.4 is, like, apologetic fanboy rating compared to what that game deserves.

I've only watched it, as with Rise of Lyric, and I'd say Sonic '06 is roughly as bad as Sonic Boom, it's just bad for somewhat different reasons (Sonic '06 is more frustrating but also more unintentionally hilarious, where Lyric is bland and generically bad). 2.7 is a score reserved for titles like Sonic 1 GBA, which is fundamentally nonfunctional.

Oh, man. You don't know. You look at a game like Sonic 06 and say it's bad, but a genuinely horrid, broken, absolute urethra papercut of a video game like Sonic 06? You have NO IDEA until you play it. I forced myself to suffer through the entirety of Sonic 06, and regardless of any this or that, Rise of Lyric was NOTHING compared to the pain I had to endure with Sonic 06. I've said the same about Rise of Lyric, but I was trying to defend it. Sonic 06? It is IMPOSSIBLE to underestimate. I'm hardly trying to even tell you anything here, it's become such a milestone of awfulness in my gaming career that I just need to tear into it to relax. No game, especially no Sonic game, not even Sonic Genesis, could top that on the shit-scale. There is no contest. Sonic has not, will not, and likely can not ever sink that low again. I don't care what petty review scores say, they don't know. The crap score RoL has and the "below-average" one Sonic 06 has are completely based on the idea that Sonic cannot be good, under any circumstances. Sonic 06 was released at a time before that was the mindset, and actively created that mindset in it's sheer lack of quality. Rise of Lyric? As bad as 06? Don't make me laugh. You do not know, man.

That entire block of text wreaks of hyperbole and citing personal experience instead of arguments.

You just need to actually say something about how the game is worse instead of being hysterical over the "fact" that it's worse.

Do you really not know? Have you not seen anything like Clement's 3-hour review, or Johnny's hour-long reasonably-apologetic review? There should be plenty of proof, and I feel like I could only repeat what others have said better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back