Questions Regarding Sonic Team Junior's History

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.A.C.

So I was curious about the history of Sonic Team Junior and was surprised there wasn't more information in the wiki. [LINK] So I have some questions.

1. Which people are still active with SRB2's development and which people are no longer part of it?
2. Judging from everything I've read on the forum and wiki, I assume Sonikku is no longer part of SRB2. If so, when did he leave the project and why?
3. Why was Sonic Team Junior chosen as the name of the team?
4. For former and current Sonic Team Junior employees, what do you guys think of how SRB2 has evolved overtime and its current state? I'm mostly curious about what former employees think of SRB2's evolution and current state.
5. For the former employees, do you guys miss working on SRB2?

Those are all the questions I have right now. Hope you guys don't mind the questions.

I believe SSNTails and some others have retired from development, Sonikku left after one of the christmas releases.
That's all I know.

SSN is retired for a fact. He retired when he get married, which was close to the release of 2.0 (also known as Marriage Edition, or SRB2ME prior to release because of this)

What I'd like to know is how SSN and Sonikku met, and how the team generally began forming.

Your use of "employees" greatly amuses me.

1. The credits list everyone who's ever worked on the game. Current developers are marked with the "Developer" or "Administrator" label in the message boards.

2. Sonikku left in I think 2000, maybe 2001 (Edit: Nope, 2002). I'm not entirely sure. Why'd he leave? Probably because working on a game takes a lot of work that he didn't want to/didn't have time to do. Not many people have the patience to work for free on a game for ten years.

3. Sonikku chose it, and it originally only referred to himself. It was named "Sonic Team Junior" probably for the same reason that we have zones with names like "Deep Sea" and "Red Volcano" even now.

Last edited:
I believe SSNTails and some others have retired from development, Sonikku left after one of the christmas releases.
That's all I know.
Damn, he left that early? Considering how SRB2 has been in development for over 15 years, it's hard to believe the only guy who worked on SRB1 left SRB2's development over a decade ago. He probably wasn't even part of the game's development anymore when I started playing it in 2003. o_O

SSN is retired for a fact. He retired when he get married, which was close to the release of 2.0 (also known as Marriage Edition, or SRB2ME prior to release because of this)

What I'd like to know is how SSN and Sonikku met, and how the team generally began forming.
I'd like to know that as well.

Your use of "employees" greatly amuses me.
I couldn't figure out a better term to use. >_>

1. The credits list everyone who's ever worked on the game. Current developers are marked with the "Developer" or "Administrator" label in the message boards.
Is there a way to view a member list on this forum? A lot of member lists allow me to modify the results where it can search for people based off of their forum rank.

2. Sonikku left in I think 2000, maybe 2001. I'm not entirely sure. Why'd he leave? Probably because working on a game takes a lot of work that he didn't want to/didn't have time to do. Not many people have the patience to work for free on a game for ten years.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine wanting to work on a free game for over a decade.

3. Sonikku chose it, and it originally only referred to himself. It was named "Sonic Team Junior" probably for the same reason that we have zones with names like "Deep Sea" and "Red Volcano" even now.
So it was Sonic Team Junior before it was even a team? Interesting.

You can just call them members of STJr. Employees implies that they are being paid, after all.

There is https://mb.srb2.org/memberlist.php but it is in alphabetical order and I'm not sure how to modify it. I thought I remembered seeing it in order of registration before but alas, no.

Oh, that page is fantastic! Thank you for finding it!

Sonikku said:
I promised myself that I would see SRB2 through to the absoloute end, no matter what happens. The only thing that will stop me working on this project would be my death.

Sonikku said:
I promised myself that I would see SRB2 through to the absoloute end, no matter what happens. The only thing that will stop me working on this project would be my death.

Obviously THAT statement didn't last very long.

Also, while SSNTails has retired from working on SRB2, he still hangs around these forums (and I expect he does play the updates when he has the time)

I wouldn't be surprised if he replied to this very topic.

EDIT: .. CALLED IT.

Last edited:
'Sonic Team Junior' was chosen as the name because Sonikku was 12 at the time.

While he might have officially quit back around Demo...3? I honestly don't remember when he hung up his hat. Might be an old news post about it. He ghost-wrote some levels for 2.0, such as a large part of one Deep Sea act and a few rooms in Castle Eggman Act 1 (which were originally Deep Sea rooms).

The big V in Deep Sea Zone is for 'Doktor Vawlbenk'. You can also find Sonikku written in Japanese by noclipping in some areas, I think.

Speaking of old people, what ever happened to Spazzo? He was banned for something... Not sure what though.

'Sonic Team Junior' was chosen as the name because Sonikku was 12 at the time.
lol Makes sense.

While he might have officially quit back around Demo...3? I honestly don't remember when he hung up his hat. Might be an old news post about it. He ghost-wrote some levels for 2.0, such as a large part of one Deep Sea act and a few rooms in Castle Eggman Act 1 (which were originally Deep Sea rooms).

The big V in Deep Sea Zone is for 'Doktor Vawlbenk'. You can also find Sonikku written in Japanese by noclipping in some areas, I think.
Huh. That's surprising and cool to find out he ghost wrote some of the level design sometime after officially leaving the project. Also, thank you for responding to this topic. Any other interesting tidbits from SRB2's past you'd like to mention in this thread? :)

Speaking of old people, what ever happened to Spazzo? He was banned for something... Not sure what though.
I messaged him about it on Twitter and he said that *content removed*. Both him and SSNTails currently works at Saddlewit.

Edit-

I just realized relaying a message from a banned member could get me in trouble on this forum, so I removed the quote.

Last edited:
Essentially, when he left the team he apparently thought that he didn't need to worry about the consequences of his actions anymore. He started to troll the everliving shit out of me and several of the other staff members. It's one thing to have to deal with that kind of behavior from some random stranger on the internet; it's another to have to deal with it from someone you trusted and respected as a friend.

Betrayal cuts deep, and I really don't want this brought up over and over again. Some things were swept under the rug for a reason.

You'd have to ask specific questions for me to think of things.

Hmm...

From reading the White Glove Diaries, you and Sonikku figured the game would be finished by 2000. Was that simply the worst estimation in history, or were your plans for the game different enough back then that that was a reasonable estimate? (If the latter, why'd you change your plans?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back