Forum Rules - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny once in a while, but idiots that hang around here think joining bandwagons automatically makes them funny, or they just got into an annoyingly bad habit of saying it after every sentence. Both circumstances are equally bad, and I'm tired of seeing it as an excuse for wit.

Gee guys, where the heck have you been? I've only quoted this a few hundred thousand times already...

[21:37:16] <Mystic> Personally, the only time I'm going to allow images back in signatures is if we get new forum software that allows me to strip the signature from everyone's messages
[21:37:37] <ShadowHog> On a user-by-user basis, or just period?
[21:37:58] <Nev3r> Bye, guys.
[21:38:03] <Nev3r> Bed time.
[21:38:06] <Cue> Mystic, you mean user profile wise?
[21:38:11] <Mystic> Period. If we get an option in our profile to say "I don't want to see signatures, ever", then you can have your images back
[21:38:20] <Mystic> But that's not happening anytime soon.
[21:38:25] <Cue> Orly?
[21:38:32] <ShadowHog> That's what I meant by "user-by-user basis", actually
[21:38:47] <ShadowHog> A specific user can decide he never wants to see image sigs ever again
[21:38:50] <ShadowHog> Another user can embrace them

Now get me to stop procrastinating and you can have what you want.

You know what I mean. And if you don't, just sit back and relax, I started work on an advanced group system today.

In other words, stop going on about images in signatures and start ranting on about other stuff. And if you say anything about avatar restrictions I'll point you to SearchIRC.com where their avatar limit is 100x100 pixels in width and height and the file size limit is 1kb. >_>

Cue said:
[21:37:16] <Mystic> Personally, the only time I'm going to allow images back in signatures is if we get new forum software that allows me to strip the signature from everyone's messages

May I point you to phpBB3 then? phpBB2's outdated by now anyways, and it's not like it won't have most of what your modified board has currently.

I personally dislike phpBB3. Its ACP is horrible, MODs are still impossible to install without screwing shit up. The only thing good about it is the ProSilver theme.

MyBB is just better in every which way. MODs are as easy as uploading to the correct location and clicking "enable". Templates are editable within the ACP, "Three-click banning system", easy to use ACP, quick reply, etc... Plus with MyBB 1.4.0 going to come out within a week, it will add a Moderator CP, a warning system, and other stuff.

Yeah, that is my personal opinion, but phpBB nowadays has gotten really bloated. MyBB sounds bloated, but in fact, all of the stuff is useful and can be disabled whenever you like. I know some people will back me up on this.

Anyways, I had to get that off my chest. So let us get back to talking about the rules.

Blue Warrior said:
Cue said:

May I point you to phpBB3 then? phpBB2's outdated by now anyways, and it's not like it won't have most of what your modified board has currently.

1.) lolno.

2.) Modified board? I think you mean board from scratch.

3.) YouSRB2.

4.) phpBB3 is outdated for this generation of message boards anyways, there's barely an AJAX at all, if any, while MyBB and vBulletin both have a large amount of AJAX code including Quick Reply, Quick Edit and the ability to use those little arrows make things appear and disappear. =P

5.) Modifying phpBB3, as Sonict said, is done via outdated methods as well. And before you say 'oh no the new board will not have that.' may I point out that I know the code inside out so adding things is much easier than coding some plugin in whatever way vB or MyBB demands you do.

I've been planning on adding everything minus the mod system that Sonict said, by the way. I see no point in coding a complicated mod system when the only one that'll use it is me. As for the template system, I'm still debating whether to add it or not...

Your wish.... IS GRAN-TED!!

The "Show Smilies" option in profiles now determines if you can see signatures or not.

Sonict said:
We still can't control how big an image can be.

I think a Simple Machines Forum (SMF) would fit very well in SRB2MB's needs and is FREE.

I installed and managed a SMF and I can say it has a decent ACP, is easy to use, manage and modify. You can download and install easy any MOD you want... SMF isn't poor of features like phpBB. I remember I'd expended a lot of hours just to install one in-code MOD in phpBB, but in SMF, there's a panel only for search, installation and management of MODs, everything works automatically.

Site: http://www.simplemachines.org/

Signature Settings Mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=528 (please, see screenshot)

SMF community: http://www.simplemachines.org/community (see it as a real demo)

Hope it'll help you someway.

Sonict said:
No. I don't think that will happen. We still can't control how big an image can be.
We can always hope, though...

...although to be fair, I've long since lost a lot of my creativity when it came to sigs, images or not, so.

Ezer, for the record, SMF has got to be one of the most awkward pieces of forum software I've ever used.

Stop recommending pieces of forums guys, a fair few of the arguments I gave against phpbb3 apply to every other piece of forum software out there...

SSNTails said:
What if you had to upload a sig image, like an avatar?
Well, optimally that's what we'd do, since that would allow us to have the board check the image under our relatively strict guidelines (so we don't have to). It's just a matter of figuring out how to get that to occur.

Or you could just have it get the size of every image it parses and total them up so the height and width totals are not above a set maximum, at which point it would parse them as URLs instead of images. On a per signature basis, of course.

Shadow Hog said:
Sonict said:
No. I don't think that will happen. We still can't control how big an image can be.
We can always hope, though...

...although to be fair, I've long since lost a lot of my creativity when it came to sigs, images or not, so.

I imagine that image sigs would just result in a bunch of retarded sigs.

Shadow Hog said:
SSNTails said:
What if you had to upload a sig image, like an avatar?
Well, optimally that's what we'd do, since that would allow us to have the board check the image under our relatively strict guidelines (so we don't have to). It's just a matter of figuring out how to get that to occur.
I do agree that we'll have more crappy image sigs than not. If image sigs are put back in, I'd really like an option to not show that part of the sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back