• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Genesis-Styled Sountrack Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Blake

Like in the dirt?!?
Well, originally I was posting progress for this in the General Editing thread, but with the death of that thread, it gave me all the more reason to finally create this one.

Simply put, this thread is to show progress of my Genesis remixes for SRB2, along with a way for me to get suggestions to improve upon what I already have.

So far, the project will result in 4 wads, which are to be released all at once and are as follows:

SRB2_Genesis.wad- The main project. With the exeption of the majority of the SRB1 remake and a few songs that had better midis on MI's page (due to me actually starting this pre-2.1), the wad uses songs made using only midis ripped from music.dta, with some edits to add some effects from the OGG versions in music.dta, such as the fades during a part in DPZ's themes.

Custom_Genesis.wad- This was originally just my personal version of SRB2_Genesis.wad, but with some songs mixed around, such as my genesis mix of Magmoor Caverns over Red Mountain, or Gerudo Valley over Arid Canyon. This one is also meant for those that want to customize a genesis soundtrack, but still have the vanilla version available. This is also where the links in my signature come in handy, as I post all my genesis mixes in those two links.

Boss_Themes.wad- Changes the level headers so that THZ3, DSZ3, and CEZ3 have their own boss themes, them being genesis mixes of Weldar's theme, the GUN mobile theme, and "Fight the Knight" respectively.

And the not yet revealed one:

BW_Genesis.wad- A branch off from the vanilla project, this has some themes replaced with ones similar to Blue Warrior's SRB2 remastered project. As of now, this only has the Super Sonic theme replaced, but I hope that I can get Infernal Cavern and Orbital Hangar replaced with BW's mixes in time, I'm just waiting for him to get the chance to get the midis to me, which is all up to him as to win that is.

On a final note, to kick off the thread, I have an update, with 16 new/revised songs, plus the small note that unimplemented SRB1 stages are supported now, so that means Final Countdown, US's Stardust Speedway Bad future, Death Egg act 1, and Sonic 2's Final Boss themes are in here as well. Anyway, new SRB2 mixes are:
(Note: I was gonna link previews like I did once in the General Project thread, but Dropbox changed the way it makes download links, and thus I cannot link it like I used to, which annoys me greatly. Instead, if you would like to preview one, go to the first link in my signature, find the song/revision you are looking for, and you have to download it and open it in Audacity, iTunes, whatever you can open mp3's in)

Verdent Forest Zone (Revision 2)

Azure Temple Zone (Revision 2)

Egg Rock Zone Act 1 (Revision 3) [Hopefully this fixes the balance issues MetalHead7 pointed out from revision 2]

Granite Lake Zone (Initial Version)

Deep Sea Zone Act 1 (Revision 2)

Deep Sea Zone Act 2 (Revision 2)

Metal Sonic (Race) (Revision 4)

Boss Theme (Revision 2)

Greenflower Zone Act 1 (Revision 2)

Greenflower Zone Act 2 (Revision 2)

Castle Eggman Zone Act 1 (Revision 2)

Castle Eggman Zone Act 2 (Revision 2)

Continue Theme (Revision 2)

Title Theme (Revision 2)

Egg Rock Core (Revision 2) [NOW WITH 100% MORE EFFORT!]

Mystic Realm Zone (Revision 2)

All in all, give them a listen if you want, and suggestions are always welcome. Last thing I would like to mention, all I have left (unless a great suggestion is mentioned, of course) is to loop them and submit this to submissions, so if I can get off my lazy arse, you can expect this either in Releases or Rejected Submissions somewhat soon!

I downloaded this from your signature and played through the game with this music pack a while ago, a few weeks before you made this thread. I had fairly mixed feelings about it at the time.

I'm not going to make any detailed criticism simply because music is something I don't have much knowledge in, but I felt the soundfont you used worked better with some themes than others. For example, I really enjoyed playing through ERZ and THZ with this soundtrack playing, while other the remixes for GFZ and DSZ felt out of tone and very discordant compared to the theme of the actual level.

if I can get off my lazy arse, you can expect this either in Releases or Rejected Submissions somewhat soon!
I reckon this will be fine for releases, assuming you properly loop the music etc. I've been meaning to get permission to re-write the submission rule about music so music submissions which are all original content can be let through easily and OST rips can stay in rejected submissions.

I downloaded this from your signature and played through the game with this music pack a while ago, a few weeks before you made this thread. I had fairly mixed feelings about it at the time.

I'm not going to make any detailed criticism simply because music is something I don't have much knowledge in, but I felt the soundfont you used worked better with some themes than others. For example, I really enjoyed playing through ERZ and THZ with this soundtrack playing, while other the remixes for GFZ and DSZ felt out of tone and very discordant compared to the theme of the actual level.

I reckon this will be fine for releases, assuming you properly loop the music etc. I've been meaning to get permission to re-write the submission rule about music so music submissions which are all original content can be let through easily and OST rips can stay in rejected submissions.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been messing with Generations lately, so I haven't been keeping up on the forums.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I will admit, GFZ has been kind of annoying, as I have been trying to keep similar feels and instruments to the original songs, and GFZ is... difficult to do this with, to say the least, namely due to that orchestral hit in the beginning, which sound awkward in the Genesis soundfont. And DSZ I felt got much more improved in V.2, as the Brightness sound over a harp in the soundfont helped to better preserve the peaceful, serene feeling I got from the original DSZ theme.

Also, just thought I would explain since I did not in the original post, the Egg Rock Core V.2 theme says !00% more effort simply because the original one was something I threw together in five minutes because I failed to realize the old Brak theme is now used for Metal Sonic, so when I found out I decided to do something quick, with the idea I could improve it later, which I did.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention due to needing to head to work (finally got my own car to drive, woohoo!), it is taking longer than I anticipated to get it all looped due to a)I've been derping around with the Scourge mod for Generations and B) Something messed up the music.dta rips and their loop points were wrong, so I need to keep looking into the vanilla loop points so I can get the music looped. At the very least though, I did mention to get the soundtrack to now be in .ogg form instead of .mp3 form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back