• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Crawla Cape V2 WIP Topic- Hey guys come on, I'm not THAT fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violo

Resisting Pony Avatar
After SRB2Riders has come out and the sudden influx of so many Mario Kart maps, I may as well show what I've done so far for my remake of Crawla Cape. This began during SRB2Riders' Beta era, and I just pretty much procrastinated for ages. But I feel as though community input will help make this better. Here are some pics to help you see what I've done so far:

Note: Not all textures or sector detail is final and will probably change before the final version.
63vkwi.png

A different starting line that hopefully isn't bland.

33cpyzq.png

The final corner which I did first. I plan to have a waterfall cascadse over as well. The sector re there, but I haven't been bothered (again).

6e2355.png

The entrace into the rock tunnel. nothing to point out other than the hole in the wall.

xbzqk4.png

Guess what the rough ground does? Yeah, nothing if you're drifting.

316kpld.png

Showing off a little split here. More rock formations I wanted here and a bit of variation in item box areas (risk and reward). It also shows the ramp.

2e1gnrk.png

After you land from the ramp, you end up in a more tropical area. I want to aim to make the area more tropical and vibrant, and also have some ruins.

2z83yav.png

A little pipe tunnel. I wanted some Mario Kart textures, but the current ones just don't work for it. Different textures would be helpful, but not needed at the moment.

And heck, have some download links to try it out for yourself. Since I'm using Doom Builder 2 however, all of the starposts are linked and there are problems doing other things. I will get it fixed before final release however.

Downloads (replaces MAP19, my old Crawla Cape level)
Beta 1 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?0922b3cdjfqbn41

I hope you guys enjoy and give some constructive criticism. Thanks.

Last edited:
I really dislike this new texturing job, mainly because it looks like several giant splotches of melted ice cream; It all blends together into some unappealing smudge. I suggest going with the CLIFF series over the CAVE textures. As for the layout, I'm not sure about the changes, but I can't really say anything on that as of yet.

Last edited:
The most important thing when porting Crawla Cape is to make it shorter, preferably by cutting out the whole water tunnel thing.

I don't really know what you mean by that. Seeing as my computer went down just after I uploaded the first beta, I'm not sure what the average lap time is for a Kart map. Though I did play Koopa Cape this morning on Mirror and it took me around 3 minutes.

Even if I was to remove the underwater area, it would probably take just as long, being at most around five seconds shorter.
So yeah, until I can get all my stuff running on this computer again, I'm stumped on progress.

I'd rather have a longer level than a shorter one... Just saying.

I don't really know what you mean by that. Seeing as my computer went down just after I uploaded the first beta, I'm not sure what the average lap time is for a Kart map. Though I did play Koopa Cape this morning on Mirror and it took me around 3 minutes.
Oops, I didn't know your level was based off an existing Mario Kart level. Well, whatever. I think the underwater section in your level is excessively tedious anyway, especially in comparison to the one in Koopa Cape. If I were you, I'd at least make it shorter.

Even if I was to remove the underwater area, it would probably take just as long, being at most around five seconds shorter.
Better than nothing.

I'd rather have a longer level than a shorter one... Just saying.
Exactly why? I find one minute per lap pretty tedious in Mario Kart.

Last edited:
2z83yav.png

¿Mmm this looks very interesting tunnel?.

And the award for a pointless post goes to...
But really now, the textures look kinda ugly, that's true.
And it really wouldn't hurt if it was shorter a bit. I never understood why there was that part after the pipe in the original Crawla Cape. Especially because of its textures, since it was hard to see where the turn is, in that speed, at least.
I still wonder how are you going to improve this version, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back