• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Chrispy's back with yet another Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
- he has - a bounce that doesn't halt his momentum. -
Well... that honestly sounds (and looks) very fun to play with. But in case the following is not yet on your to-do list, may I suggest having the bounce use some thinner-but-taller ball sprites, like what's possibly known as "squash and stretch", to give an emphasis on the vertical speed? And/Or some kind of effect like the one you currently have for double-jumping, to give an emphasis on the sudden downwards burst of speed? As it is at the moment, it just looks kind of "empty" to me in the gif you showed.

I think the squash spin animation would be more feasible if we had sprite rotation to allow for it to be angled with the trajectory, but since there isn't is only be able to angle the sprites to be going straight down and since the bounce doesn't go straight down every time I think it'd look wrong in motion

I think the squash spin animation would be more feasible if we had sprite rotation to allow for it to be angled with the trajectory, but since there isn't is only be able to angle the sprites to be going straight down and since the bounce doesn't go straight down every time I think it'd look wrong in motion
Good point. (If you'd make several sets of the squashed ball animation, you could use Lua to display the appropriate set depending on the horizontal speed in relation to the vertical speed, but I think it would likely be better to just not bother with that.) Then I'm going to only suggest adding a "shockwave" effect, again like the one you have for double-jumping.

Hey this is still a thing that's being worked on and stuff. Yeah.
quarterwalk.gif

Really like the look of the animation. Good to see that this is still getting worked on.

The best part is the wobbling side-to-side. I never realized how static every other character's animations have been until now!

Hey this is still a thing that's being worked on and stuff. Yeah.
quarterwalk.gif

Awesome spritework there.

I really like the style you used, and the work in the spines looks perfect,
that's before saying that the animation is more then well done!

keep up with that, i really want to see that released.

Is this supposed to loop in-game or is it just him raising his hand once the signpost stops spinning? Because I think it'd look strange in-game if it looped like that.

I don't think looping would be practical, since the screen freezes shortly after spinning the sign anyway

pointysonicwalk.gif

Finished out the walk rotations. Probably gonna polish out the frames a bit later.

The wad theme is probably closer to Can You Feel the Sunshine or Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn)'s special stage theme.

Not gonna lie, I get Sonic Boom stuck in my head a lot while I work in this, but the look is more inspired by the Saturn 3D models rather than the Toei animation, so this wad's theme is the 3D blast special stage music because it's a banger
classicrun.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back