Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a great addition, and a respectable replacement for the instashield. A mechanic like that is a good way of keeping flow and gives him a distinct emphasis on speed over Tails and Knuckles' special abilities.

It's like a rollercoaster, Starts with SEGA making good Sonic games, and then they fall down with trashy games, and it continues... But now, they're coming back up!

I have to agree about this point -- and this seems to be a trend in modern games. I can't remember what I was playing recently, but I was trying to jump onto a platform that was ACTUALLY THE BACKGROUND. Ugh.

I think the lack of a limited color palette makes the artists go overboard.

Sega embracing something like this is a great development, but so far this game is looking like a Sonic version of Major Magnet. And that's not always a good thing.
I think I can sense the downfall of this game.

No no no c'mon dude. They're just complaining about how eye-straining they think the game is. That's not something to cry "downfall" over

In addition, that opinion is subjective. I looked at the gameplay and the background didn't bother me at all.

Personal tastes over small details is no indication of the overall quality of the gameplay.

I really do not like the style currently shown by the game, perhaps because all the animations have too much going on in them, perhaps because of color oversaturation, perhaps because of something I'm not entirely sure of yet; but all I can really say is it looks wrong.

I also still don't trust Taxman and company to be able to design decent levels on their own. Their additions to the Sonic 2 iOS levels were disjointed and messy, and Hidden Palace, the only level which they truly designed on their own so far, wasn't exactly great.

Also for fuck's sake they need to fix the timer not getting reset, it's been literally 5 years since CD2011 and it's still broken.

犬夜叉;782634 said:
Their additions to the Sonic 2 iOS levels were disjointed and messy, and Hidden Palace, the only level which they truly designed on their own so far, wasn't exactly great.

I don't exactly find this too worrying, but the "extension" part of GHZ, from what I've seen, was incredibly awkward and obnoxious. Half-pipes that throw you backwards, blocking off the forward path completely, having to climb DOWN from the top of the hill....I dunno, it looked weird. Again, not a big issue for me, but it exists.

I think they designed GHZ like this, in Mania, because to freshen things up and to encourage exploring the levels themselves, to find secrets and hidden big rings for the special stages. I can see that, there might be some problems, but that's just me. Maybe, I'm too used to the S1/CD design.

P.S The backwards C-tube was probably also there because, to prevent a problem with the background switch to the cave. But I think you know that.

There is a physical collector's edition for PC available for pre-order now:

https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Mania-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LVVBLPD
2ESpCJT.jpg
It's $69.99, but if you have Amazon Prime it's $55.99.

Shut up and take my rings, SEGA!

I could be cool if the statue was a low-powered ARM device that accepted Genesis controller connections and had some video out options on the back. Turn it on, and all it boots is Sonic Mania.

I could be cool if the statue was a low-powered ARM device that accepted Genesis controller connections and had some video out options on the back. Turn it on, and all it boots is Sonic Mania.

Yes, thats kinda what i thought it was at first XD

I would've loved to buy that collectors edition, but it's US only which really sucks. Same goes for the shirts, though they are available in the UK.

Time to throw in my two cents into the mix. For one thing, I have noticed some striking similarities to Knuckles Chaotix, as in the much brighter palette and the Studiopolis zone music being highly reminiscent to the song Midnight Greenhouse from Knuckles Chaotix as well. I have to say that the color saturation and the amount of bright colors used must definitely be toned down some, as it becomes extremely hard to discern certain things from one another, which ironic as it is, defeats the purpose of the bright colors, being to make things distinct, vibrant, and colorful. A use of a darker palette could help offset this problem, as well as a toning back of the wackiness of colors in the levels. This was just me though. Otherwise, looks amazing, and I hold high expectations this time around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back