How can I replace Tails' sprites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrStephen

My PhD is made out of foam.
Judge
Hi there, long time no see.

Anyways, I've been working for a few months on a secret project that replaces a lot of stuff. Without spoiling too much, I need to replace Tails' sprites without creating a new character.

Basically, doing what ModernSonic.wad does, which makes SRB2's Sonic have a darker colored pattern, as well as having a different running animation.

I already managed to replace Sonic with [̸̢̙͇̄̂́̌͘S̵̳͋̍́͊̓̇̒̋P̶̘̭̙̯͎͊̔̋̂͊̋͘͘͝͝Ǫ̶̛̣̦̠͎̲̰̙̿͑͗̽̕̚͜͜͝Į̴̣̘̜͇͓̑̏̔̓͋͋̓̏̇̇͌L̸̡͎̥̰̬̣̣̱̜͈̪̝̙͈̀̓E̵̛͚̪̺͙̬͂͊̃̓̑̓̄̈́̿̋͘͜͠͠Ŗ̶̫̞͖̲̟̫̝͓̆]̵̡̜̫̠̝̹̥̟̻̊̈̋͋͑̒̇̅̋͘̕, but I can't do the same with Tails.

So, how can I replace Tails' sprites without having to create a new character?

Yeah, there's no way to replace sprites of Tails or Knuckles currently. Sonic is the only one whose sprites can be replaced because his sprites are basically the default set. Everyone else's sprites have to come with an S_SKIN due to how SRB2 works.

That said, you CAN use SOC to disable the vanilla Tails and Knuckles characters in the Single Player select screen, but you can't touch multiplayer's character select on the other hand.

Yeah, there's no way to replace sprites of Tails or Knuckles currently. Sonic is the only one whose sprites can be replaced because his sprites are basically the default set. Everyone else's sprites have to come with an S_SKIN due to how SRB2 works.

Ugh. That's gonna be a pain.

Guess I'll... work around it. Thanks.

As Monster Iestyn says, you can't replace Tails' or Knuckles' sprites. But I think you can add a completely new sprite (with as many frames and such as needed), and then use Lua to force Tails (or Knuckles) to use the new sprite instead of the "PLAY" sprite.

SPR_TAIL and SPR_KNUX don't exist. Character sprites don't use the freeslot system at all, they work entirely separated from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back