Ban System Revamp and Rules Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

There has been a major change to the way bans will be dealt with on this forum.

First, the ban time for both strike 1 and strike 2 have been extended, to one week and two weeks respectively.

Second, strike 3 is no longer a permanent ban, instead lasting for 52 weeks (approximately a year). Permanent bans issued by strike 3 on the old system have been replaced with these new extended bans, with a start date of today, so anyone permanently banned via strike three on the old system will be able to post again August 31st, 2009. Instantaneous permanent bans are unaffected by this change.

Ban evasion will no longer be dealt with separately from the rest of the ban system. If you evade a ban, you will simply be rebanned with an extra strike on top of what you had. If you already had a strike 3, the extra strike will give you a permanent ban.

Finally, the period of time it takes for a strike to be removed has been extended to two months.

The rules have also been changed somewhat, mostly attempting to clean up the rules and make them FAR easier to read. There aren't any real changes to the rules themselves except the wording, but I'd appreciate you read them over just in case I made a horrid grammatical error that you can all point out and mock me for.

These changes should lead to more people being banned and for a long enough time to actually matter, while leading to less permanent bans except for people who really deserve it.

I see Armonte is one of the first to suffer for this.

EDIT: I don't hate this, I think it's a good change.

Well this isn't too bad. I don't think you had to go in to detail that it's 52 weeks long. BUT, I don't think anyone is coming back after a year.

EDIT:: Does that mean a year 'till ash comes back? *shot*

astar said:
Well this isn't too bad. I don't think you had to go in to detail that it's 52 weeks long. BUT, I don't think anyone is coming back after a year.

Well, hopefully, that will keep away the users that managed to get banned for a year. Is that what the 52 week ban is for, Mystic?

Actually, Armonte was banned for something unrelated before the change happened. He decided to post a topic on how to evade bans, like the 11 year olds around here need instruction on that, and was banned on general stupidity. The lack of common sense shown by posting such a topic is just jaw-dropping. He was given a permanent ban yesterday (strike 3), which was revoked and replaced with the one year ban on this system. That is the last we're going to discuss his ban.

This new system will be leading to people being removed from the forums. That is the goal. It's been clear for several years now that the forums are on a downward spiral, and if removing 30-40% of the user base is what it takes to halt that spiral, I'm willing to do that.

Mystic said:
This new system will be leading to people being removed from the forums. That is the goal. It's been clear for several years now that the forums are on a downward spiral, and if removing 30-40% of the user base is what it takes to halt that spiral, I'm willing to do that.

Awesome. Maybe the forums can be saved...

This is just awesome, mainly because this is oriented towards the type of person who will forget about the community in a week. I can definitely see the quality of the MB improving.

It would actually reset to strike 1 officially (6 months would erase his first 3 strikes), but if the user comes right off a one year ban and immediately breaks a rule, I suspect that rule 15 would kick in and the admin would just permban him, because he clearly didn't learn his lesson.

astar said:

EDIT:: Does that mean a year 'till ash comes back? *shot*

He didn't get a strike 3 permban; he got a "for the lulz" permban. I think that means that he is permanantly banned... I haven't checked to see what his status is, so I'm not 100% sure.

Besides, I'm no admin; they probably made a decision about that themselves. Ash himself is probably ticked at the ban, so don't hold your breath. If he comes back, fine. If not, that's his decision.

This is wonderful, and at the same time kinda sucks. I went nuts not being able to post for 3 days, let alone a week. D:

But on the bright side, all the pestering n00bs will most likely be gone. :D

But still, a week? <:\ Oh well, guess it's for the best.

The ban length doesn't really matter as long as you don't get banned.

Nev3r said:
The ban length doesn't really matter as long as you don't get banned.
It's inevitable that everyone gets banned once and a while. Plus, I tend to get myself banned whenever I'm hyperactive and online at the same time. :P

But I do agree that this new banning system is better.

Would there be some rare cases where the user skips a couple of strikes and strikes out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back