Suggestions

There are two other changes that I would like to make to the level that I haven't gotten around to doing yet. One is fixing up some of the oddly-shaped protrusions from the huge waterfall in the last room. It's a nice attempt at detailing per se, it's just that some of the shapes are fairly odd and unnatural. The other is sector 194, which is the platforming that winds itself around the huge cliff in the last room and ends up near the emerald token location. This platforming is also fairly oddly shaped and doesn't properly cling to the shape of the cliff that it surrounds, and as a result some parts of it are much thinner than others, which is somewhat irritating.

EDIT: Okay, I actually went ahead and did the latter thing, plus I slightly modified the cave with the emerald token to get rid of some unnecessary zig-zags. The link is still the same:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27962790/lolgfz2.wad

Last edited:
The texture alignment here needs work.

I was playing with this, too. Because of the way sectors are drawn, if you remove the textures from the linedefs that make up the "stairs" the flat spills out and it makes it actually look "sloped" because then there's no disruption from the extra textures to the surface. It's like if you look at it from the back (looking down the slope) but it's like that from all sides.

The only problem is that because sectors are not drawn when the camera is below their height, so the slope gets cut off above the camera's height.

Y3mHVbt.png
fRTi1dF.png
6PHabrf.png
zDsOcYp.png

I was playing with this, too. Because of the way sectors are drawn, if you remove the textures from the linedefs that make up the "stairs" the flat spills out and it makes it actually look "sloped" because then there's no disruption from the extra textures to the surface. It's like if you look at it from the back (looking down the slope) but it's like that from all sides.

The only problem is that because sectors are not drawn when the camera is below their height, so the slope gets cut off above the camera's height.
Yeah, but because you get HOMs when your view is below that of the sector floor, I don't think your flat-bleeding approach here is gonna work.

Plus it'd all be REDWALL in OpenGL, which would be similarly ugly.

I never said it was, I just thought it was an interesting idea/way of doing things. Y'know, in case a dev sees this and says "good idea" and then decides to implement special code for double-sided drawing and an OGL fix...

Yeah I've experimented with that too, but it's a cheap hacky method that doesn't really work out that well. Honestly, it'd be tedious to align the textures on the slopes in this stage, but it'd look a hell of a lot nicer. Maybe I'll even try doing it myself if I can find the time.

Ive got the perfect idea. 2D MATCH LEVELS! Even if it doesn't pass, I WANT SOMEONE TO MAKE 2D MATCH LEVELS SINCE ITS FUN AND I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT! ITS AWE-SOME! HEAR ME!? AWE-SOMENESS!!

2d match levels? Here's my ideas!

Ive got the perfect idea. 2D MATCH LEVELS! Even if it doesn't pass, I WANT SOMEONE TO MAKE 2D MATCH LEVELS SINCE ITS FUN AND I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT! ITS AWE-SOME! HEAR ME!? AWE-SOMENESS!!

2D match levels would be boring in my opinion, if there was a 2d match level you have less chance of dodging someone's attack and you won't be able to see much of your surrondings, unless someone was to make a smash bros mod then I would accept that.

My idea is that in srb2 you get to do a elimination race like in some car racing games (Burnout&NeedForSpeed).
Each lap a player that is last gets eliminated from the the race, depending on the amount of players the lap should be adjusted to this, e.g. 4 players = 4 laps.

Another idea is that there should be a co-op race:
2-6 teams of racers (up to 3 players each) race to the finish. They can help each other, e.g. tailspickup team members.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a whole lot stopping you from attempting this right now.

2D match levels would be boring in my opinion, if there was a 2d match level you have less chance of dodging someone's attack and you won't be able to see much of your surrondings, unless someone was to make a smash bros mod then I would accept that.

My idea is that in srb2 you get to do a elimination race like in some car racing games (Burnout&NeedForSpeed).
Each lap a player that is last gets eliminated from the the race, depending on the amount of players the lap should be adjusted to this, e.g. 4 players = 4 laps.

Another idea is that there should be a co-op race:
2-6 teams of racers (up to 3 players each) race to the finish. They can help each other, e.g. tailspickup team members.

I've tried it with people already and they're not bored at all. also, I think 2D match levels would be a little easier on the lesser skilled, like me. (and I'm a veteran player)

I would like to evaluate on what I said before about a smash bros mode for srb2, it can be a bonus (kind of like the mario mode and nights mode).
You can use the jump button to jump (obviously), the shoot button to do a normal attack and the spindash button to use an item.
This would be an awesome 2d battle mode, the camera should pan out so that you can see the whole map. Oh, another thing, the taunt button could be used to do a special attack.
OFFTOPIC: Why does the taunt button not work when playing srb2? The only way to activate it is by using "playsound" (soc/linedef executor).

Smash Brothers has also been done before, and also sucked. Relevant topic: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=25594
Well I can't download it to try and see for myself, so I guess
Due to your experience of srb2 compared to mine: Mystic experience=1000%, TSDude experience=4.056%
1000/4.056=246.54832347140039447731755424063
247*10(years)=2470.
Answer, Mystic's opinion/fact wins, TSDude must agree.
Calculation end
logfile quit.
I'll agree with your answer.

New idea,
how about a sonic and the secret rings mode (maybe a little demo should be made), I've tried to create something like this and it is possible but the only problem is that it has to be done in analog mode to recreate the feeling of the actually game and the homing attack might not aim right, btw wind sectors can push you (this makes you look like you're running automatically).

Yeah I've experimented with that too, but it's a cheap hacky method that doesn't really work out that well.

The way I see it, a special linedef effect can be created that's called, like, "slope line" or something, similar to SRB2CB's slope line commands. When this linedef is encountered by the engine, it flags all sectors sharing the linedef to render flats on both sides, like an FOF does. Then, if in software, it tells the renderer to ignore any texture present on the line and just spill the flat. For OGL, however, it simply tells the renderer to take whatever color pixel is present on the flat at the edge of the sector and stretch that over the right area of the sidedef. Like the way SRB2CB stretches the flat if your slope is basically vertical (i.e. a very small number of mapunits between the slope begin and the slope end (like 1)).

how about a sonic and the secret rings mode (maybe a little demo should be made), I've tried to create something like this and it is possible but the only problem is that it has to be done in analog mode to recreate the feeling of the actually game and the homing attack might not aim right, btw wind sectors can push you (this makes you look like you're running automatically).

Except that very few people like that kind of gameplay and it's exactly what SRB2 is trying to avoid.

Well what other types of gameplay do people like?
-Do they like the new modern sonic gameplay.
-Do they like the new Sonic4 gameplay.
-Do they like the Sonic Dash gameplay (or is that a bit like SATSR).

Last edited:
Adventure gameplay might be the extent of it, for a single-player mode. Remember that SRB2 is trying to emulate the old Sonic games, considered by most to be the best and considered by some to be the only good ones. SRB2 is trying to avoid the modern Sonic gameplay as much as possible. We (or at least the devs/most of the community) don't want "boost to win" gameplay which is what modern Sonic/Sonic Dash gameplay is. Sonic 4 gameplay is alright, but we've really already got that with the 2D mode.

I honestly don't think we're gonna see any new gametypes (besides the race updates), at least ones that are reminiscent of Sonic gameplay. However, if it turns out that everyone wants mach stages, well, I honestly don't know why they're playing this game. It's not what SRB2 is.

We're not adding any new gameplay modes, bar the NiGHTS Into Dreams... special stages (and that's not exactly new, either). S'all.

Metal96 said:
SRB2 is trying to emulate the old Sonic games
Ok I can understand that.
Shadow Hog said:
We're not adding any new gameplay modes, bar the NiGHTS Into Dreams... special stages (and that's not exactly new, either). S'all.
And this.

(Forgive me if this is already asked) So will new enemies be a good suggestion, enemies from sonic3&knuckles. (I've just realised that srb2 got the snail enemy from the sonic movie, I think)

Well if srb2 was to be finished in future and it had kept it's other game modes then there might as well be a creation of srb3 (and please don't say that sonic the hedgehog 3d SAGE is the srb3).

Last edited:
Well if srb2 was to be finished in future and it had kept it's other game modes then there might as well be a creation of srb3 (and please don't say that sonic the hedgehog 3d SAGE is the srb3).
I saw a similar question like this in the SSNTails.org fourm and the answer to this question was that the team would just probably move on and get on with their lives. I don't think there will be an offical Sonic Robo Blast 3.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back