iPhone port...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see much interest on this topic, and since it's ARM based, and there is a semi working port for the psp why hasn't anyone tried compiling it over? I realize user input is going to be anoyying, but you can just use a keyboard connected to the iphone directly for testing.

iPhone 3gs should run it decently or maybe playable, would be good if the port took advantage of the opengl functions.

But even if SRB2 could run on the iPhone, we'd need serious retooling to make the controls workable.

I also don't really see much point in porting SRB2 to the iPhone, other than to have it handy to play even when you're NOT sitting at a computer, isolated from all real human contact (sorry, no more editorials). And there are some problems that would simply be insurmountable.

For example, even if we port the controls over, as I pointed out in my previous post, they're going to be awkward to handle. A game as fast as SRB2 is really tough to control when playing on the iPhone or iTouch (check out their version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog as an example). For another, there'd probably be no way of adding WADs to the iPhone SRB2, so if you want to netgame over the iPhone with computer-using SRB2 players, your server choices are going to be severely limited. And while we're on the subject of netgaming, online play might work well on the iPhone, but it would be a nightmare on the iTouch. I can't speak for everyone, but I (and some people I know), have to positively wrestle with the iTouch just to get a minute of wi-fi access.

Also, you mentioned OpenGL functions. OpenGL in SRB2 has always been crude, and especially since the release of 2.0.X. I can deal with the glitches on the computer, because there's so much else that's great about the game, but I'm somehow not sure it'd be the same on an iPhone, given that there would have to be some other sacrifices too.

Maybe some of my fears are unfounded. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the iPhone and iTouch to speak with authority. But I'd certainly like those issues addressed if we are to see an SRB2 app.

Last edited:
Buy me an iPhone 3GS 32gb, an SDK license and an iCP and I'll get right on it then.

That's what I thought.

More like an 8GB iPod Touch.

Anyway, if Quake 3 can run on my iPod Touch just fine, SRB2 should be a breeze.

Nevermind the controls, consider the legality. I don't think SRB2 can be legally ported under Apple's stupid licensing restrictions.

If you bought an iPhone expecting to be able to play SRB2 on it, hit yourself with it on the head a few times.

From a hardware perspective, the iPhone (including the iPad and the iPod Touch (the late-2009 second generation models especially)) are all more than capable of running SRB2. From a control standpoint, there are ways to work around it but I don't see how you would play match...

Who here has a jailbroken iPhone and would be able to play it?

Why would you need a 3gs 32GB? =P

Anyway, I've fooled around with the OSX port and Xcode, although I got nothing done because of objective c, but I could try again. I do not think that Apple would allow it into the App Store, for fear of Sega. It would most definitely be a jailbreak app. But since I have connections I might be able to get an sdk license and submit it for lulz if anything gets done.

I think it's lame that Apple forces you to use ObjC and doesn't provide a C API.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back