• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

Glad to see that Sonic's side and jumping frames don't look so... messy. All of your extra sprites look great, though I'm not sure if Mighty was done from scratch or if you did exactly what Sonic Team did in the development of Knuckles Chaotix where Mighty was literally just Sonic with a shell.

I get that he was one of the original designs for Sonic, but they could have tried at least a bit harder.

Not gonna lie in here, I actually edited my Sonic for that Mighty sprite. I did try to make him seem different from Sonic himself, but it's hard to do that while still being accurate to what he really looks like when Mighty is such a bland design that is, literally, Sonic with a shell. Though it's hard to do something about his design, if I were to make a Mighty, I would probably try to differentiate his poses and animations from Sonic's, at least he would feel more like his own character rather than a complete clone.

Also yes, Sonic does have a tail. In other news, I admit I couldn't take the blob hands seriously, so I brought his fingers back:

34q4wwk.gif

Shadow looks really cool there. It combines the cool AS FUCK SpeedWagon's sprites with the awesomeness of your sprite making/editing :P
BTW, any news about Shadow's release? *Shot by SpeedWagon*

Keep up the great work, MotorRoach. And also.

MOTOR ROACH'S SONIC AND ICEMAN404'S TAILS FOR VANILLA!

Seriously. They look better than the sprites we got by now.

Shadow looks really cool there. It combines the cool AS FUCK SpeedWagon's sprites with the awesomeness of your sprite making/editing :P
BTW, any news about Shadow's release? *Shot by SpeedWagon*

Keep up the great work, MotorRoach. And also.

MOTOR ROACH'S SONIC AND ICEMAN404'S TAILS FOR VANILLA!

Seriously. They look better than the sprites we got by now.

Not a surprise, the sprites for sonic and tails we have right now are freaking old. Since 2003 or even earlier I think.

You could make his running frames have airplane arms. He could just stick both of his arms out to the side and go "wee" all the way through Egg Rock. His waiting pose could just be sleeping. After all, how else could he avoid every single game in the series past Chaotix? And then hitting a spring would cause him to stick his arms upward and falling would be more spread out like the skydiving stuff Sonic has been doing recently, only he actually falls at a normal speed instead of whatever that floating crap is.

Also, yep. This game is even older than I thought.

You could make his running frames have airplane arms. He could just stick both of his arms out to the side and go "wee" all the way through Egg Rock.

Jasper used to do that, but due to the way Sonic runs with his legs rotating in a full circle it would look like Jasper's arms would clip into his legs. Broken arm pink is broken.

Besides clipping into his legs, the arms worked alright. I did put the arms back to where Sonic keeps them just because I didn't find them pleasing on a personal level.

He could just switch to the more realistic, modern style running. That'd solve the clipping issue pretty early.

Now I'm imagining that while Sonic and his friends are out stopping Eggman, Mighty's just running through a field going "weeeeeeeeeeeee". I'm going to have to make a "Wide Open Space Zone" just for this.

Not a surprise, the sprites for sonic and tails we have right now are freaking old. Since 2003 or even earlier I think.

The majority are from 1999-2001.
A few are from later, like 2006 when it's obvious my drawing skill improved. The hanging (tails carry) frames were made in 2006, and were some of the last ones to be made.

He could just switch to the more realistic, modern style running. That'd solve the clipping issue pretty early.

IMO, the running-with-your-arms-dangling-behind-you is really stupid looking and totally unrealistic. Try doing it yourself out in your backyard and how oddly unnatural it feels. You need your arms for steering/balance, not flapping in the wind.

IMO, the running-with-your-arms-dangling-behind-you is really stupid looking and totally unrealistic. Try doing it yourself out in your backyard and how oddly unnatural it feels. You need your arms for steering/balance, not flapping in the wind.

Not to mention, Sonic Adventure's Sonic running doesn't actually work as people seem to draw it. Largely it's done in such a way that it's just arms directly backwards while body in general is still upright - absolutely no aerodynamicness at all.

In contrast, Sonic Adventure's arms were more a diagonal upwards-outwards mix, with arms opened rather than clenched as in most interpretations, and head+body leaning forward and head tilted downwards.

SSNTails' point still stands anyhow - arms-backwards running, especially at the speeds Sonic runs, is probably in reality going to have you trip and fall over quickly more than make you faster.

(Then in saying that, it's obviously physically impossible to rotate your legs in a full circle like Classic Sonic and co seem to be able to do. But then I digress.)

So that's why I got made fun of in 1st grade for running like Sonic! lol.

Other than that, I find any style to be good but the arms out needs to be done correctly and not the simple way that people have been doing it how Monster Iestyn explained. Also probably MotorRoach is sticking to the classic style run and doesn't really care for the more modern style look in the first place.

So that's why I got made fun of in 1st grade for running like Sonic! lol.

Other than that, I find any style to be good but the arms out needs to be done correctly and not the simple way that people have been doing it how Monster Iestyn explained. Also probably MotorRoach is sticking to the classic style run and doesn't really care for the more modern style look in the first place.
Aside from the discussion from how stupidly sonic runs, what about Miles/Tails flying?
He rotates his f**king tails like a helicopter. And they don't twist the slightest bit. He's even worse than sonic running.
oh yes, he does this while running too...

What the fuck does any of this talk have to do with the sprites at hand anymore?

What the fuck does any of this talk have to do with the sprites at hand anymore?

Maybe the positions of the sprites.
Ways how sprites indicate a character's movements.

But yeah my opinions on the sprites still stand, I still dislike the chaotix characters, it didn't grow on my as I expected it to, I simply dislike them. The rest are still fantastic, I actually think that Muscles the Steroids sprite looks great. Also, that update on Shadow's sprites in terms of shading, slight animation, and size of fingers, is quite an impressive edit.

MotorBug and Speedracer, I salute you on your great spriting skills.

I still dislike the chaotix characters, it didn't grow on my as I expected it to, I simply dislike them.

espio-pose.jpg

charmy-pose.jpg

vector-pose.jpg

mighty-pose.jpg

So, is there something wrong with my sprites or are you just simply telling me that because it just doesn't feels good enough to you? I wasn't going to ask you about it, but you just had to bring it up.

What about Sonic's Classic run? I mean it looks a lot like jogging, minus the circling feet. And as a proud sonic fan, I do that all the time, and still "running" today...

The looks of the new Sonic are amazing, Buffles looks alright, all we need is an MD2 from him and I can complete the Sonic Boom Chars collection.

The Chaotix characters look amazing as well, I wonder who will be making their chaotix moves? Like Espio's wall walking move?

No I mean, you made them perfectly as they should be, but I simply dislike them. I don't think it's the sprites that I actually dislike, simply their designs. They all just look odd. Hence why the sprites look odd and don't fit my tastes. But everything else is superb.

Why is your dislike for a specific set of characters relevant to the quality of the sprites in the thread though? We don't need to hear about that, it just dampens on the thread and derails everything.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back