SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Miscellaneous (2.0.X)

FloatOrb (SOC and example WAD) Details »»
FloatOrb (SOC and example WAD)
Version: 1, by Warpshade (Usually lurks somewhere.) Warpshade is offline
Developer Last Online: Jun 2015

Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.00 average)
Released: 07-26-2010 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
SOCs Re-Useable Content

A while back in 1.09.4 I made something similar to this. This is the same basic concept, though with a change to how it works, for what I feel is a more useful net effect. Anyway, I'm no good at walls of text so I'll put some screenshots up and annotate. Feedback is welcome, and so is using this in your levels, though credit should be given where credit is due.

To use the float orbs, jump into them. Simple as that.

Then you can float in the air, traversing massive distances as any character.

To leave the float orb, you must do one of the following:
Thok as Sonic
Glide for an extended period of time as Knuckles
Take damage
Move into a VERY strong wind/current (The rightmost valley between blue sectors shows this)
Enter a teleport sector that either teleports the orb (Pushable Objects) or the player (Anywhere in Sector) to another location. This is demonstrated with the two blue sector valleys to the left.

Please note that this item uses MF_ENEMY, and as such you will take damage if you approach it when not spinning/jumping/gliding/etc.

Download Now

File Type: zip FloatOrbTypeB (WAD).zip (6.8 KB, 412 views)
File Type: zip FloatOrbTypeB (SOC).zip (425 Bytes, 312 views)

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 07-27-2010   #2
Hannyness

I've had a little play around with this... and this is seriously AWESOME. x]

Nice one Warpshade
Old 07-27-2010   #3
PHCC
Too fast for you to see me.

Can you make this orb with a different color? Like cyan or white.
Old 07-27-2010   #4
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

He could do white, but not cyan. He's just using the regular shield sprites from SRB2, and there's no cyan-colored shield.

Anyway, why did you add the MF_ENEMY flag if it isn't an enemy? Why should it have the potential to hurt you? Also, how do you control it as Sonic? All I can manage is a sort of sluggish drift.

Now I've got those complaints out of the way, I will state that in most other regards this is a nifty little SOC. Make some more stuff, please!
Old 07-27-2010   #5
Warpshade
Usually lurks somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan View Post
Anyway, why did you add the MF_ENEMY flag if it isn't an enemy? Why should it have the potential to hurt you? Also, how do you control it as Sonic? All I can manage is a sort of sluggish drift.

Now I've got those complaints out of the way, I will state that in most other regards this is a nifty little SOC. Make some more stuff, please!
MF_ENEMY is needed to make the SOC work, I wouldn't have used it if I didn't have a reason. I have a few ideas about how to remake it without it, but I figured I'd get this out there before breaking it again.

Controlling with Sonic is somewhat slow, yeah, from a level design perspective I think it'd work best combined with a wind current in areas used.

Thanks for the criticism, and the compliment.
Old 07-28-2010   #6
Fred
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfan View Post
He could do white, but not cyan. He's just using the regular shield sprites from SRB2, and there's no cyan-colored shield.
Although players are the only ones who usually use them, all mobjs use the same color translation tables. This is how shields and team rings work. In short, any kind of object can change colors into the range selectable in the player setup. So yes, the orbs could be cyan.
Old 07-28-2010   #7
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

To make it cyan, give it the MF_TRANSLATION flag (which you have to add manually, its value is 67108864). You could then change the color with the A_ChangeColorAbsolute action. If you want to, you could set the target to the player and then change the color according to the player inside it.
Old 07-28-2010   #8
Scizor300
footure semen

Hey, are you supposed to rise when you go onto the strong gravity sector?

<+Scizor300> i got kicked from #srb2fun from enraging rob with terrible christmas songs
<+Scizor300> my life is complete
sciz 4 stjr: i'm gonna make america cool again
Old 07-28-2010   #9
Warpshade
Usually lurks somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor300 View Post
Hey, are you supposed to rise when you go onto the strong gravity sector?
Its downwards wind, and yes. Downwards wind makes you impact more often with the orb making it rise quicker as a result, as far as I can tell. Although now that you've mentioned gravity I've not played with gravity and the orb yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher
To make it cyan, give it the MF_TRANSLATION flag (which you have to add manually, its value is 67108864). You could then change the color with the A_ChangeColorAbsolute action. If you want to, you could set the target to the player and then change the color according to the player inside it.
Actually, unless A_Look() has been rewritten recently, I'm not altogether sure I could. Thank you for the information though I was loosely aware of it, I need to go check if this has a rather unexpected effect in multiplayer now...
EDIT: Phew, doesn't seem to be bugged in multiplayer from what I can tell.

Last edited by Warpshade; 07-28-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2010   #10
Draykon
Part-Time Magical Girl

Remove MF_Enemy and MF_Special, add MF_Monitor. Works the same, but can't hurt you.

You're welcome. ;)

Edit: While we're at it, what's the A_Look call for? Doesn't seem to do anything far as I can tell. Swap it out for A_ChangeColorAbsolute and you can colorize it easily, no MF_Translation flag necessary. (Or if it is, it's enabled by default)

Last edited by Draykon; 08-06-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2010   #11
Snowyfox
Hee-Hawk! That's a Giradonk

Nice, I might try it, but on an unrelated note, If you messed a little with it, Could it become a Pull star-ish thing?
Old 09-19-2010   #12
Router
Permanently Banned

The PHCC whether other color, but is truth.
Old 09-22-2010   #13
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

This is awsome! Too bad its not used in level packs or mods... It could be a nice addition.
Oh yeah and before I forget, is it 2.0.6 updated?
Old 09-22-2010   #14
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

It was made after 2.0.6 came out.