SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 10-16-2005   #1
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Default SRB2: Chaotic Darkness: Demo2 Released!

Remember that level pack I showed you guys earlier that I was still working on? It's now a part of a mod. :P

The story of this mod focuses on the Black Emerald recently added to SRB2. It should include about 50 levels (More than Mystic Realm!) and some new enemies added through SOC Edits.

But...a few levels here and there still need tweaking and one's even unfinished so there's no demo yet. :oops:

In meantime, enjoy this movie:

http://www.sepwich.com/srpgp/srbcd.zip

I decided I'd hype my mod and try Fraps out at the same time to kill two birds with one stone. :P

Maybe not the best idea though. I do actually play better than how I played in there, blame it on the nasty framerate. x_X Which I am deeply sorry for btw, it appears that my computer isn't as strong as I once thought it would be. >_> Meh, well enjoy, that is, if you like lame videos.

I guess that's it...I'm gone. *Hides from flamers*

----------

Update: Screenshots of what will likely be the best and hardest (not ot mention the hardest to get to) level in the upcoming demo I plan to release.

----------

Update V2: DEMO RELEASE D:

http://www.supersanctuary.com/srpgp/...rknessdemo.zip

OMFG :O

----------

Update V3: 2nd demo.

http://www.supersanctuary.com/srpgp/...ssdemo2fix.zip - 1.19 MB

This is mostly bug fixing and minor adding but list of changes since last demo:
  • Lesser Rings in SP stages
  • Special Stage 2 changed a bit
  • Match Stages added to the match rotation and changed somewhat
  • Biggest change of all: CFZ1 has had a major revamp and has a totally new beginning and end, and it feels so much more alive. I strongly suggest you try it out if you liked LFZ2.

Enjoy and please report any bugs you find.
Old 10-16-2005   #2
Omega the Hedgehog

Nice, though I wouldn't predict a number of levels so high until you actually get anywhere with this yet. =P
Omega the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #3
Starbuck

Uh, 50 levels? Maybe that's OK for an adventure style game, but running through 50 levels in one day in a multiplayer game would take longer than 12 hours.

Anyway, impressive video, yet your using FRAPS demo. You love "Fun with the bots" too much as well.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #4
Spazzo
Permanently Banned

Looks very nice, somehow remind me of SMB: for super players :P
next time, record in software, not opengl! the framerate reaked!
Spazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #5
Blitzzo
It's Mr. Computer!

I find that if you set the resolution to 640x480 and turn off any Anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering, you will get the best recording speed. And the video is errily formatted after mine. Except you didn't use the same title font.
Blitzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #6
Omega the Hedgehog

I have to turn my resolution down to 320x200 and have it actually record at half of that to get anywhere near a playable speed.
Old 10-16-2005   #7
Shuffle
Developer

I don't! ^_^
Old 10-16-2005   #8
Bigboi

That's a nice name. Black chaos emerald... Chaotic Darkness... Black chaos emerald... Chaotic Darkness... Black chaos emerald... Chaotic Darkness...

IT WORKS!
Old 10-16-2005   #9
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

The 50 levels includes secret and special stages. So obviously, it'll only be around the size of Mystic Realm. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBlitzz
I find that if you set the resolution to 640x480 and turn off any Anti-aliasing or anistropic filtering, you will get the best recording speed. And the video is errily formatted after mine. Except you didn't use the same title font.
My resolution IS on 640x480, though I probably should've made it 320x200. And Windows Movie Maker doesn't have too many title apparences that actually look good. :P And yours fades from clip, to black, to clip, mine just goes from clip to clip with fade. I didn't want to go too over the top with the transitions.
Old 10-16-2005   #10
Shuffle
Developer

The game runs much smoother if you set FRAPS to record at half resolution :P
Old 10-17-2005   #11
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

It was my first time running the thing, give me a break. :P

Anyways, I decided to test Fraps again and record a new movie, which can be seen here. (CLICKY) It ran MUCH better this time around. Though for some odd reason, the beginning of the movie plays riculously slow even though it played fine in SRB2 and Windows Movie Maker. :\ It may just be the WMV. Anyways, this video shows two new features to expect in Chaotic Darkness, one is brand new SRB2-esque Special Stages. These are totally different from the normal SRB2 special stages as they are somewhat linear and each one has a special theme to it, whether it be springs, lava, water or even Moniter-Land! :shock: Another feature is an extended enemy roster. The Black Crawla, seen in the second half of the video, is just one of many new enemies in Chaotic Darkness. ( One of which includes a Turret-Ammo firing Jetty Syn! D: )Well I guess that's it, I hope to release a demo of this wad sometime....next month. :P *shot*
Old 10-17-2005   #12
Starbuck

Spazzo, you can't record with FRAPs in software. It only records OpenGL and DirectX.

Also, poor framerate, atleast playable. The black whatever-they're-called are pretty sweet.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #13
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyhunter600
The black whatever-they're-called are pretty sweet.
You say Crawla all the time yet for this special occasion you can't remember it? :P
Old 10-17-2005   #14
Blitzzo
It's Mr. Computer!

Quote:
Spazzo, you can't record with FRAPs in software. It only records OpenGL and DirectX.
Actually, it can record in software, because the framerate counter shows up in that mode, but it's slower than OpenGL, even when running under the same resolution. In OpenGL I get 30 FPS when recording, in software I get 20.

Also, to those who don't get good recording speeds, remember that it depends on your video card. I'm running on an nVidia GeForce FX 5600, which is nowhere near today's powerful cards in terms of performance (two generations behind). Still, it can record videos in 640x480 pretty well. With more powerful graphics you can record in much higher resolutions with an acceptable framerate, or even in 60 FPS, if your computer's hardware can keep up with it.
Blitzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #15
Omega the Hedgehog

Half of us are still running on PII processors. We don't have the money to BUY these things :(
Old 10-17-2005   #16
Shuffle
Developer

The video looks nice, I can't wait for the wad :D.
Old 10-17-2005   #17
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Looking quite good. I'd love to see something big and original that I didn't make. Making Mystic Realm is a ton of fun, but I'm not about to go scour MR for secrets, since I know where they all are ^_~
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #18
Shuffle
Developer

Okay, I'm gonna make a really big sector with nothing in it!

..not quite what you're looking for? Okay.
Old 10-17-2005   #19
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
Looking quite good. I'd love to see something big and original that I didn't make. Making Mystic Realm is a ton of fun, but I'm not about to go scour MR for secrets, since I know where they all are ^_~
The problem that Mystic Realm has is that it was made initially in older versions which are featureless, and the style has been adapted to that. The only taking of advantage of the new features that I've seen are the temples. MR is more like the missing part of SRB2. With a lot of jumping.

Don't worry, I'm planing something more original, whose zones has different modes each one, and taking a lot of advantage of the new features...

Source of my avatar: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/427405
Zen forums: http://zenforums.ipbfree.com
Sik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #20
JTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames19119
or even Moniter-Land! :shock:
SOC edit monitors to be unaffected by gravity and make a long path of Eggman monitors in midair along with crawlas and stuff, so if you jump up to hit an enemy and miss you'll not only get hurt, but a big hole in the floor you could possibly fall through to your doom? It'd be easy to make using instant floor lowers. Hehe, you could even use this idea to make something harder then PAZ!
JTE is offline   Reply With Quote