• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Arcade Gamer's Galactic Space Lab of Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, anti aliasing isn't a tool you use, it's a method for shading,

Now I feel stupid now in a funny way, I am going to use the links as a reference.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

2a0kuo2.jpg

I used anti-aliasing, moved the ears up and put the vertical stitches on the shoes.

Last edited:
Yes, that's looking better already. I think you only anti aliased way too much under his ear, so I recommend you make the shading in there less exaggerated. I also would make the vertical stitches in his shoes a little more subtle, as right now, they feel way too distracting. If you can, try also using darker colors from the palette for the stitches in the shaded areas.

While still talking about his shoes, I noticed that it doesn't has as much detailing as the rest of the body and the front sprite do. The red outlining does needs some darker pixels here and there and so on. Do not worry about borrowing colors from the front sprite to detail the reds and whites of the shoes in there.

Looking at the ears, I see you applied some green around it. It works for his left ear (the one on our right), but it doesn't work so well for his right (our left) one. You see, from this angle, only the back of his ears would appear, so only the back of the ears should have some green in it. In his right (our left) ear, I strongly recommend you change the green outlining back to the grey you had before.

Minor nitpick, but one of the eyes feel a little bit like they're kind of jumping out of his face. You might want to try keeping it a bit more in his face by outlining/shading a bit around the part that's near to outside his face. For another little nitpick, see his right hand (on our left)? The placement for it is very fine, but for it to look more natural, you will need to move the bottom half of the arm one pixel to the right, and smooth things up from there.

And one friendly warning. See these pixels?

728Imk7.png

You will want to use avoiding these specific colors, because while it might seem just like normal shades of green, they're actually not part of the green palette of the game. They're actually part of the Zim palette that the game has, and keeping them in the sprites will make them not change into orange or any other player skin colors while added into the game. Be also careful to not accidentally end up including Neon Green into the sprites:

uz5dZ0B.png

You're certainly learning well so far, and I can tell you're slowly improving. Keep up the decent work!

126e3i8.jpg

Those Zim colored pixels blend in with the green so well, I didn't even see them until your post pointed them out

Last edited:
While that looks a little better, it also looks a little worse at the same time. When I said moving the arm, I meant just the arm, and keep the hand in place, and when I said outlining the eye, I mean inside it, not outside it. As for under his ear, I have no idea why you applied brightening to it. Into other problems I didn't notice before, I strongly recommend giving some good shading to the tail, specially since it's quite obscured in this angle. That and I noticed his left hand is one pixel higher than his right hand, so you would need to move it down a little. I also just realized that the stitches on his head (and some of the stitches on the shoes) would look much better if they were a lot darker, because that way they would blend in much better with the outline and shading.

I made a quick little edit to illustrate my points better, so be sure to look carefully on what's different in here, because it'll really serve as some good reference on how to do Tails Doll:

8ro88Uh.png

Yeah, that looks pretty good. My only complaint would be its tail. It looks kind of weird, it's also kinda short. Make it like Tails' Tails (heh.), but a bit shorter but not too short.
1/10, I fail at explaining shit

I don't think you should be able to see his other shoe that much from this angle. The head stitch line also seems too linear, and the ear would most likely be placed in the middle. The muzzle end feels a bit too big, and I would drag his belly backwards, since he looks kind of fat right now. And as Zero said, the tail is too short, and way too straight. Tails Doll would most likely have his tail to be a little pointed downwards.

I certainly like what I see in here~ I only feel that the gun looks pillow shaded, and that the top of the head could use a bit of outlining. I'm also not sure if it's just the screenshot that made it too dark, but Gamma's shading does seems a bit flat at parts.

Still, can't wait to see how this goes~

That's a nice sprite of him, actually! You are missing some details on Gamma, though- 1). the "102" at his right side and 2). the blue circle details in his hexagon-shaped thingamajig on his left and the other one on his shoulder. Also, I'd say you should try and see if you can make some sort of "metallic" shading effect; what you have on the gold portion of his head looks relatively decent, so base shading the sprite on that. You should edit the eye areas as well, because from a distance, it looks like Gamma has constant droopy eyes. That gave me a chuckle when I saw that, I admit.

Besides that, I'm already excited to see a playable Gamma here, so I'll stay tuned to this!

EDIT: partial-ninja'd

He only had the blue hexagon thingy only in artwork, and I didn't add the 102 on the side due to how limited the pixels will be and it would look awkward if he used other colors.
2jbjqf5.jpg

Do not worry about adding little details. Personally, I think your sprite looks fine the way it is, in terms of detail, as it doesn't has too many things thrown into his design right now.

The body certainly feels very nicely shaded in here. You could try using the same shading method for the bottom half of his legs, the red part of his arm, and his gun as well. I also personally think his hand could use a slight shading to it, and the same could be applied to the grey thin part of both of his arms. This is also something bothering me a bit, but the white thing between his legs (whatever you call it) seems to have a rather weird outlining in the bottom part, and I feel it could be smoothed out a bit.

...Apologies if I nitpicked earlier, I guess. Everyone knows it's Gamma, so the "102" isn't needed, and other things I described were very minor. I would say that his white flap of his hovering system is slightly off-put from the white stripe, but you'd know that would be reaching it. Just trying to input my opinions here.

sqjtp5.jpg

Fixed.
E-101 Beta
10nrqyq.jpg

E-103 Delta
95tzdc.jpg

E-104 Epsilon
1zftwcn.jpg

E-105 Zeta
k2fr6u.jpg

Last edited:
The form and the details on the character are spot on, but your shading looks unrefined. I'll focus on your gun as an example since it's the most obvious problem. In your recent pics, the gun's lightest shade is barely any different form its darkest shade, so there isn't really any contrast to give it any sense of depth. In your older pic, the gun had shading, but it looked messy and pillow shaded, and it wasn't representative of how light realistically would shine on the character.

What you need to do is:

* Identify a light source (in SRB2's case this will be up top or slightly to the left/right up top) and decide how light will be distributed across Gamma's surface.
* Determine the absolute highs and absolute lows of shade you're going to use. Note that Gamma is made of metal, and as such some light is going to reflect/shine off of it. So the brightest color you'll see on say, the gun, isn't actually some shade of gray, but a spot of white closest to where the light source is.

I'd give you a visual example, but I'm busy attempting to do my homework and failing miserably.

Drawing Gamma in other angles is tricky as hell, so heres the front sprite if anybody wants to do Gamma.
a2d8qr.jpg

I'm gonna do a revamp on Eggman's sprites.
axea8z.jpg

Last edited:
Drawing Gamma in other angles is tricky as hell, so heres the front sprite if anybody wants to do Gamma.
a2d8qr.jpg

axea8z.jpg
Oh that eggman sprite is better than mine i think i will leave all my projects you always somehow find way to make them better :(

a2d8qr.jpg

axea8z.jpg

Those Eggman sprites look good indeed. You should keep up the work. I really want to see his new Egg-machines....of death... machines...

Oh that eggman sprite is better than mine i think i will leave all my projects you always somehow find way to make them better :(

Xkower, I suggest you start with a simple project, like a level WAD (I use Doom Builder 2), and practice your drawing skills (This is very important) and then start off your first character WAD as somebody simple, easy to do.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

I'm revamping Eggman because his vanilla sprites are ugly and gross. And I am making him as a character WAD without any mechs on his body (Mechless Eggman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back