• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Uhhh.. Beta Wad Thingie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

I feel really, incredibly, super-sonic awkward about making this post right now. I feel like it's going to cause more trouble than it will help.

I have an IRL friend for a while who likes this game as well, and well.. He wants me to go and submit his wad up for him into the MB to get some criticism. I feel so weird doing this, and I hope you can understand how I feel right now about this...

So, I'm kind of doing that right now. And he refuses to let me mention his name up on here. Meh.

So.. here's a beta of his so called "King of the Hill" pack, which features a currently fully-functional map and a second map that is awaiting design comments.

He tells me these maps are from many years ago.

2QeJX

Early development shot of the working level, which he was remodeling. (A.K.A. Re-texturing and addition of geometry based on old screencaps)
2QeH7

His "God tails" picture, which he loves so much.
"First there was SRB2. And then there was Tails. Tails created a map and loved what he saw."

These screenshots were actually took by my real life friend.

Okay, so with that out of the way...

Here's a link to the wad.
Quoth my real life friend "If you've gotten pretty good at match but are tired of match's game play, try this on for size."

P.S. I should have told him my older aliases. He apparently didn't know I went by Kitoko and came raving bonkers wondering why someone by that name was using the same IP as us...

Last edited:
Well the images really do show "king of the hill" or mountain cause that structure looks pretty tall, especially if you have to use Tails to get up there.
I think the design/layout is neat but a bit he can put more features in it although I'm not sure what features to suggest right now.
Also why doesn't your friend sign up to srb2mb, it's not as if your friend has to put up his real name.

He has a phobia to communities/societies. He can't sign up anywhere without feeling extreme tenseness in himself. He said he'd like to join but he feels quite afraid. Even playing online for a week or two made him have nightmares...

And yeah, it's basically what King of the Hill maps are, trying to obtain control of a specific area at the risk of being knocked off yourself. You can risk more by going up to the higher parts of the map. There's plenty of spring areas where sonic can easily get up to the top as fast as a flying tails or climbing knuckles. You don't have to use Tails. My friend told me his skilled competitor Reverbal got up to the higher parts of the tower just fine and used the Sonic thok to his advantage and used the space available to him just fine.

Huh, really? I didn't notice that. The thok barrier worked just fine, though. He tells me it works regardless of zero height or negative height, it still means a sector with all closed space. Oh well, I'll set it to zero height anyway. ^^

Yeah, I'll soon put item placement for the other level too. The thread still goes unsatisfied though, he wanted comments on not only the design but also the game play itself.

Ah, I remember being with that person on the server, and I like the maps.

I guess for being KOTH levels, Tails players have an advantage because they can fly, and if there would be rail rings as well, they could knock other players off the level, straight to the pit. Even though that's a bit negative, I'm sure speed could come in handy, or climbing. That's just something in my opinion about KOTH levels.

Some springs to get to higher parts of the level seem hard to step onto in Piston pressure zone.

Adding on to what Instantpast said about increasing difficulty for Tails why not allow FOFs that can be obstacles in his path, it will help slow him down from getting to the top and it might reduce his speed to Sonic's and Knuckles' as they race to the top.

Adding on to what Instantpast said about increasing difficulty for Tails why not allow FOFs that can be obstacles in his path, it will help slow him down from getting to the top and it might reduce his speed to Sonic's and Knuckles' as they race to the top.

That's not too bad of an idea. Although it's pretty littered with FOFs as it is to reserve space for players ^^'

He is not too clean with his FOFs. I'm going to have to turn some FOFs into flats-only so it makes it less graphics intensive. I guess I could put some rings or a box on the new FOFs.

As for the decoration, I'm probably going to retexture some parts, add some nice decoration on the bottom level, more pistons, and maybe, just maybe, another gas jet alternate path. But yes, I feel the level needs a little more activity in it, to remind players it's not just a steel structure but a living machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back