3D characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I like the sprites. It reminds me of the good old days while giving me something new. But a 3D model would have a lot of potential. (though most likely a thousand times harder to make)

umm... what's this "Wi-Zard" that ye speak of?

I see both sides to the sprite vs. 3D characters issue.

Sprite View: I like the fact that it gives you that classic feeling and that it doesn't make sonic look completely different than he did in the biginning. Also 3D editing means that all actions are programed in 3D which takes a long time.

3D view: The 3D would make the characters easier to see in the world, because man, only a fiew angles just doesn't cut it all the time.

P.S. You probably already knew this but I wanted to say it.
P.P.S. I lean more twards the 3D because I want to get into the future as soon as possible.

Well, 3D is easier overall. You don't need to draw each angle of each animation. You just make the model once and make each animation once.

But, if you do want 3D characters then Doom ain't your engine. The support isn't that good, and even if you could get 3D characters to work properly they would look out of place in the blocky Doom environments. Not to mention that lighting doesn't seem to affect 3D characters at the moment.

Well, the Knuckles in srb2 has many 3D-like frames. They aren't the best though (no offense to the person who designed it). But my point is 3D characters fit 3D areas. Mostly 3D Sonic's (3D-Blast Sonic, Sonic Xtreme, SADX-Sonic, SH-Sonic, etc.) have been wadded into srb2. But a SAKNUX wad was also made if I recall. Also JTE made some 3D-like poses for Knux (in his wad) to replace the weird 2D like sprites to make a total 3D knux.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, older versions of SRB2 had a Knux completely composed of his screenshot sprites, just like the JTE.wad we have today.

Well, even older versions of SRB2 had Sonic and Tails sprites, plus some weird ball thing, for Knuckles' sprites, but that's neither here nor there. :P

Well, some characters would be better off with partial 3D. Like ng-sonic and jshadow would look good with 3D spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back