SRB2 - GP2x Port, Is it possable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Team

Another Gamer
I have searched the internet for a copy of SRB2 ported to the GP2x (www.gp2x.com) However, instead of running into one, I ran into (only afew) Topics asking for ports. Apparently, One person actully atteemted this, hoever he gave up before much was even acomplished. And so, Im asking the number 1 place the same question; "Can anyone provide me a copy of SRB2 ported to the GP2X"?

I understand that there is an open sourse of SRB2 which you can build on if there isint a copy in exestance yet.

Thanks
- Classic Team

Yes, I am a tester for the GP2X port. I am not a programmer however and there are still a few bugs that need to be fixed. The port does work with full sound and music, but like I said, it still has some bugs.

Some of them are:

- Needs a proper default savegame name
- Music looping borked
- Slow gameplay in general
- No support for adding wads unless you use telnet for it.

You can download the WIP builds here:

http://lawarias.game-server.cc:81/~alam/SRB2/

The ones you want are: srb2Release.gpe and there is one compiled using the Open2x libraries: srb2ReleaseOpen2x.gpe

Put the files and the .gpe in /srb2 on the SD card. That is where srb2 will look for the files.

Sonict

Wow! This little device is pretty interesting, but honestly, I've never even known about it since now.

There are a lot of other open source systems. There's a guy that edits official hardware into different devices, such as the Wii-top laptop computer.

The only thing I notice though, is the ABXY seems to be misplaced, compared to what most people are used to. (SNES Format)

Wow.

You guys came just in time. SRB2 is in the works of being ported to the gp2x as we speak. Currently there is a lot of progress, however there is a small music bug that makes the sound go absolutely insane. Regardless, Alam deserves the props ;D

EDIT: Wow. Didn't even realize Sonict posted here. Why can't you use an avatar or something, Sonict? :<

Not to mention that the DS has two 50mhz processors, which is no where near needed power. And the fact that even the PSP and GP2X versions are quite sluggish and skippy.

So SRB2 uses more memory then DOOM? (Question prompted by current topic and GBA version of DOOM.)

Yes, glaber. The levels are huge, plus all of the effects like FOF's, Sound and music takes up memory and such. With only 4 MB of RAM on the DS, it will never be able to run. According to what I have heard, just at the title screen, it need about 6 mb of RAM.

@ Furyhunter

The DS version would be fast because since Alam owns one, he doesn't need to use SDL for it and would be able to optimize it a lot.

Sonict

Oh?

Jesus, DS homebrew must really BE easier than Windows/Linux programming D:

Im glad to know there is one in the works, now I just need to earn the money to buy the unit.

Note: Couldint you overclock the GP2X to run it at a more disent speed?

I always overclock when playing games on the GP2X, except for Genesis and NES emulation which don't need it. My model goes up to 275 without crashing, more recent models have been prepackaged with 275 clock. Only chews up a little more battery, though you must take normal precautions and the fact that the gp2x heats up a little when overclocking.

furyhunter600 said:
Not to mention that the DS has two 50mhz processors, which is no where near needed power. And the fact that even the PSP and GP2X versions are quite sluggish and skippy.
A working PSP version has been made?
When I boot up the one at that link, it takes me back to the menu.

Phinsfan said:
furyhunter600 said:
A working PSP version has been made?
When I boot up the one at that link, it takes me back to the menu.

Yes, It is around the same spot as the GP2X version. The only problem with it is that the debug build works under PSPlink and the release build dies after the md5 check for some reason... I think it could have to do with too many files loaded as srb2 loads more than 16 I think...

Sonict

furyhunter600 said:
You must be insane. The DS can run games MUCH more complex than SRB2. The main reason, in fact, is that SRB2 is, because of its heritage, quite inefficient.

FSX said:
furyhunter600 said:
You must be insane. The DS can run games MUCH more complex than SRB2. The main reason, in fact, is that SRB2 is, because of its heritage, quite inefficient.

You're wrong. You haven't seen SRB2's code. You don't know its limitations. Furyhunter is absolutely correct. The DS simply isn't strong enough to handle SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back