Suggestions

Ability to use similar colors depending on what team you're on, instead of being only restricted to Red or Blue?
I.E. Red Team can use Red, Dark Red, Orange, etc. Blue Team can use Blue, Steel Blue, Cyan, Teal, etc.

I would really really like to see some investment put into making the game's control schemes more effective and more intuitive. It's the #1 thing preventing this game from being accessible to new players, because people are brought into the game and just find the inputs on their keyboard to jump and move, completely oblivious to the fact that there are three very different default control methods, all of them being substantially better or worse from another.

Currently the best control method for this game is WASD+mouse due to the degree of control it provides. Not only can you turn direction at a non-static pace, but you can also strafe, which is absolutely mandatory for moving efficiently. As a bonus you can even look up and down by just moving your mouse a bit, adding some nice camera control to the player's arsenal. WASD+Mouse is excellent for this game and should be our benchmark for quality of control.

Keyboard only is the most common method for new players and is more limited. The characters move mostly how you would expect with its simplified turning scheme, but noticeably absent is the ability to strafe, significantly reducing the player's movement options. Suddenly bosses become a lot more difficult, as you can no longer keep them in your field of view and dodge projectile attacks at the same time. We need to introduce some sort of strafing key or mechanism that allows players to have similar fluidity to mouse users.

Analog is a fucking mess. The movement coding is really binary, so it's completely unwieldy with a gamepad. Second, the camera is atrocious. It turns itself automatically whenever a player moves in a direction, even if the player isn't inputting the keys to move in that direction.

Let me explain. When you charge forward to attack Dr. Robotnik, you bounce backward after colliding, but you expect the camera to stay forward so that you can focus your attention on him. That's not what happens with analog. Instead, you get shit like this. It's completely broken, and it spoils what could have been a really fun, Sonic X-treme gamepad control scheme and turns it into unplayable garbage.

I'm suggesting this mainly for the sake of garnering more players that would be otherwise turned off by the unintuitive controls, but I also really really want to see an innate gamepad analog control scheme that works. It's really sad that we just let this go to waste because it isn't default.

Keyboard only is the most common method for new players and is more limited. The characters move mostly how you would expect with its simplified turning scheme, but noticeably absent is the ability to strafe

Objection! This assumes one cannot have such a control scheme with strafe keys included!

For reference, my own keyboard-only control scheme uses arrows for forward/backwards and turning, while it uses A and D for strafing. This is totally reasonable for a person such as me to use.

Very well, but such an ability should be streamlined and intuitive for new players to use. If we had a "turn keys = strafe" hold key and some sort of mechanic that promoted the use of strafing, players would learn very quickly how to control their character's movements effectively without digging into the options or reading online about it.

To be fair though really, the real issue with keyboard-only is that turning the camera in both axes is far far slower than just using mouselook. The difference is great, and it makes the FPS gametypes much harder from my experience.

EDIT: also, "Strafe On" used to be a button before 2.1 as it happens, doing exactly as you're suggesting. It was removed for reasons I forget right now though.

Last edited:
Let me explain. When you charge forward to attack Dr. Robotnik, you bounce backward after colliding, but you expect the camera to stay forward so that you can focus your attention on him. That's not what happens with analog. Instead, you get shit like this. It's completely broken, and it spoils what could have been a really fun, Sonic X-treme gamepad control scheme and turns it into unplayable garbage.
There used to be a boss camera in SA mode that kept the boss on the center of the screen at all times. The mode as a whole was meant to be a parody, but I always thought there was merit to that camera because neatly it avoided the annoying scenario in which you're pegged by an attack that happened off-screen.

EDIT: also, "Strafe On" used to be a button before 2.1 as it happens, doing exactly as you're suggesting. It was removed for reasons I forget right now though.
Pretty sure it was a cheap way to patch away the speed stacking from strafespinning/flying (by tapping the key or something). The key itself is a bad idea, anyway.

I agree on the sentiment that analog mode is ass (really, why DOES the camera turn all the time?) and should just be deleted, though I know that'll never happen. Keyboard + Mouse is the most efficient, smooth, and comfortable setup. When new people find SRB2 they always seem to somehow come across analog mode because they're expecting SRB2 to play and control like most fangames.

Like that Cobanerman video, all it does is make the game look incredibly uncomfortable and possibly spoil viewers or new people from trying out the game. Sonic Retro bitches about analog enough for me to think it's doing more harm than good since it's the first thing any person who's played a 3D Sonic game will flock to. If people were forced to use Keyboard + Mouse instead, they would find the controls much less of an overwhelming issue. Like holy shit, just look at Knuckles' glide.

But who cares about Retro's opinion, right? :V

While I wouldn't like to see Analog go, it'd be better than having a half-assed control scheme that doesn't belong in a final product. Either improve it or remove it.

I do point out that the Tails bot you get from the "Sonic & Tails" selection relies on using Analog mode all the time to be able to move about in a playable manner.

I, personally, have never had any problems with Analog Mode, and I always use it. Bosses can be an issue, yes, but can't that be fixed by having the camera lock onto the Boss?

I, personally, have never had any problems with Analog Mode, and I always use it. Bosses can be an issue, yes, but can't that be fixed by having the camera lock onto the Boss?
The obvious problem here is when bosses get a little more complex, like the CEZ boss, or custom maps which are completely non-standard. Then there's stuff like ERZ3 where you'd ideally switch the camera on the fly at a certain point.

On the other hand, it would make the other bosses a lot better, in particular DSZ.

As far as camera is concerned, all I want is for the camera to stop moving fucking everywhere so I can control it for myself. We already have pan left/right buttons, so just create a toggle for automatic panning, and make it so the camera automatically pans based on the player's inputs, not his momentum.

As far as camera is concerned, all I want is for the camera to stop moving fucking everywhere so I can control it for myself. We already have pan left/right buttons, so just create a toggle for automatic panning, and make it so the camera automatically pans based on the player's inputs, not his momentum.
cam_still kinda does what you want, but then it also locks the rotate keys. There's no reasoning with this game.

I'm not sure whether you're asking for a way to prevent team changes, or just disabling spectators. In any case, both of those can already be done in 2.1, as it is written on the wiki:
"During the game, you can always switch back to spectator by typing CHANGETEAM SPECTATOR into the console or selecting the "Spectate..." option in the pause menu. Beware that this will reset your current score to 0, even if you join again in the same round. The server and game admins can force players to spectate or play by typing SERVERCHANGETEAM [player name] SPECTATOR/PLAYING into the console. The console variable ALLOWTEAMCHANGE can be turned off to prevent spectators from playing and players from spectating.". These commands should also work using player nodes

I'm not sure whether you're asking for a way to prevent team changes, or just disabling spectators. In any case, both of those can already be done in 2.1, as it is written on the wiki:
"During the game, you can always switch back to spectator by typing CHANGETEAM SPECTATOR into the console or selecting the "Spectate..." option in the pause menu. Beware that this will reset your current score to 0, even if you join again in the same round. The server and game admins can force players to spectate or play by typing SERVERCHANGETEAM [player name] SPECTATOR/PLAYING into the console. The console variable ALLOWTEAMCHANGE can be turned off to prevent spectators from playing and players from spectating.". These commands should also work using player nodes

Thanks! I didn't knew about the serverchangeteam command.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back