Let's get rid of the lag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espyo

I have an idea, and I'm not pretty sure if there is going to be posts, and if this isn't in the right place; I don't care if the next post is an Administrator locking me.
I just want to comunicate this important notice with you.
Aren't you sick and tired of joining a net game, and can't even play because of the lag?
Or even hosting one, and everyone keep leaving because of the lag?
Well, my suggestions will make lag desapere, but we ALL have to make a sacrifice.
1-Before turning the game on (that is, if you want to play around the internet), use the launcher.
2-Mark the following options:"OpenGL Mode", "Windowed Mode", "Manual Resolution" and "Sound: No Sound".
3-Before pressing "RUN!", close all programs that usually show up on the lower right corner of the task bar. Like for instance: MSN Messenger, Windows Messenger, FRAPS, etc...
Maybe, with all this changes, and if EVERYONE does this, we can have netgames with no lag.

Actually, OGL mode only runs faster on certain computers. And, all those settings pretty much ruins the game.

I however, came up with an idea for anti-lag myself. Rather than waiting to recieve the data from a certain user, if you recieve no data in one frame, just leave that player where they are. The only problem is it would cause major consistency failures. And it would put laggers at a painfull disadvantage. It's best to reserve that for those experiementation exes, like the one with HyperSonic in netgames.

Yes, I know OpenGL only works faster in some computers.
Everyone should test it.
And I know that the quality gets worse, but what do you prefere?
Good "playability" or good quality?
I'm willing to make those sacrifices, to play good netgames.

For hosting a game, it would be better just to run a dedicated server, set cpusleep at 1 or higher, and for Windows NT systems, use taskmgr to set the process's priority to High (13) or Realtime (24), that way, the game can act on netgame packets quickly, but not use up all the CPU's timeslices to do it

Note: "Windows NT systems" inculdes Windows 2000, XP, and 2003

Espyo said:
Maybe, with all this changes, and if EVERYONE does this, we can have netgames with no lag.

You DO realise that BANDWIDTH is the major problem. Also, I get a performance DROP in OpenGL.

Okay, someone is obviously completely clueless. The power of your computer affects framerate, or how fast the screen refreshes onscreen. Upping your screen resolution and changing renderers will change your framerate. The power of your internet connection affects latency, or how long it takes for your control input to be relayed to the host. "Lag" in multiplayer games generally refers to latency, and changing your video settings will not do a damn thing about that. The only way to reduce latency is to get a better internet connection. Maybe in 3-4 years when we all have awesome internet connections, latency won't be an issue and we can play in gigantic netgames without lag, but until that happens, lag is just going to be a fact of life around here.

Espyo said:
Sorry, I don't know what a BANDWIDTH is :cry: :? :cry:

surprise.gif

On IRC said:
IT'S COMMON FUCKING KNOWLEDGE FOR CHRIST SAKES!

TheDarkArchon said:
Espyo said:
Sorry, I don't know what a BANDWIDTH is :cry: :? :cry:

surprise.gif

On IRC said:
IT'S COMMON **** KNOWLEDGE FOR CHRIST SAKES!
Sorry, but, maybe, I know what that means, IN PORTUGUESE! (my language.)
Mystic said:
Okay, someone is obviously completely clueless. The power of your computer affects framerate, or how fast the screen refreshes onscreen. Upping your screen resolution and changing renderers will change your framerate. The power of your internet connection affects latency, or how long it takes for your control input to be relayed to the host. "Lag" in multiplayer games generally refers to latency, and changing your video settings will not do a damn thing about that. The only way to reduce latency is to get a better internet connection. Maybe in 3-4 years when we all have awesome internet connections, latency won't be an issue and we can play in gigantic netgames without lag, but until that happens, lag is just going to be a fact of life around here.
Ok, it's best to wait until internet connections are better.
But, there was this one time, that I hosted a game, and 3 people joined, and there was absolutlly no lag whatsoever.

I once played a game with 10 people in ctf with no lagg whatsoever..

I also think lagg doesnt come from what kind of connection you use, it must be the computers performance (sorry if it sounds noobish)
I play netgames with dialup and my games come out perfect with no lagg unless if someone else is a lagger. but other then that, i think people who play netgames should get better performance computers....

Lag has everything to do with whether or not the internet connection can handle what's going on, as well as the host. Also, if you're hosting, you're not going to have any latency at all. You might get lag if something is going wrong or there's a lagspike, but you won't have a latency, so as long as nothing is going wrong, you're never going to get any lag as the host.

The only real way to improve latency is to get a better internet connection, a better host, or less people.

Also, when a "lagger" joins and lags up the whole netgame, having a crappy host is what makes the lag hit everyone, not just someone joining with a bad connection. Someone should be using a better host if laggy clients frequently lag up the entire netgame.

Actually, PC slowdown can cause small amounts of lag because the CPU is too busy to keep up with the modem's requests but the amount it causes is so trivial it shouldn't matter much either way.

Yeah, I used to have a 133 MHz CPU. It caused massive slowdown to the internets. I'd like to think NOBODY has something THAT slow these days, though.

RgxSuperSonic said:

I also think lagg doesnt come from what kind of connection you use, it must be the computers performance (sorry if it sounds noobish)
I play netgames with dialup and my games come out perfect with no lagg unless if someone else is a lagger. but other then that, i think people who play netgames should get better performance computers....

Actually it comes from both, the amount of people I can host doubled when I went from 1mb to 2mb and doubled again from 2mb to 4mb.

But, my nan's pc has a 2mb internet connection, but I can only host 2-4 people no supreme lag.

I could probably host more if I used opengl, but it's like, 5 FPS when I use it :cry:

cueball61 said:
RgxSuperSonic said:

Actually it comes from both, the amount of people I can host doubled when I went from 1mb to 2mb and doubled again from 2mb to 4mb.

But, my nan's pc has a 2mb internet connection, but I can only host 2-4 people no supreme lag.

I could probably host more if I used opengl, but it's like, 5 FPS when I use it :cry:

when i wrote that i also forgot to mention that you cant have a server to host many people (since i use dial up) but i also should get broadband or something higher for better pefromance and internet....

lol i cant believe i use dial up for internet......

RgxSuperSonic said:
cueball61 said:
RgxSuperSonic said:

when i wrote that i also forgot to mention that you cant have a server to host many people (since i use dial up) but i also should get broadband or something higher for better pefromance and internet....

You can use dialup for the internet? o.o

cueball61 said:
RgxSuperSonic said:
cueball61 said:
RgxSuperSonic said:

You can use dialup for the internet? o.o

I had broadband but my crappy surfboard got busted...
lol i "still" cant believe i use dial up for internet......

i use dial up but not all the time, i barely even use it

normally when im on a dial-up connection i can only connect through AOL and stay on for 1 hour, tops...

but my mom has blocked most of my sites that I go on. :cry:

and i cant connect to the IRC network or internet explorer

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i use dial up but not all the time, i barely even use it

normally when im on a dial-up connection i can only connect through AOL and stay on for 1 hour, tops...

but my mom has blocked most of my sites that I go on. :cry:

and i cant connect to the IRC network or internet explorer

:mrgreen: well... you can always find out the master screenname's password and change the parental settings... ^_^

and yes i do use AOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back