Onlive, did anyone try it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

Steven Duda
Did anyone try the new video games on demand service? I have it but my internet is too slow for it. :(

I bet it would work with a slow connection, but not as well.

Maybe when everyone gets free super fast internet connection, this would work out so much better.

Oh god, onlive sucks. It's like playing games on low-med settings, first off(Although from what I noticed, onlive changes the settings frequently to match your connection, so maybe a higher connection would make the games more visually appealing). Secondly, it's 720p only and it upscales horribly if that's not your native resolution. Quite literally, some games look worse than the console versions. Some games have decent FPS, others are very jittery. Batman Arkham Asylum played just fine with little noticeable lag, but dirt 2 was just terrible in terms of delay. Again, I guess it's dependent on certain games. We certainly had no idea where the servers were, but we tested it on a server across the country and we got around 50 ms, so it is highly unlikely it's an issue of our internet service.

My friend gets around 7 to 9 Mbit/s, and onlive took up maybe 4 or 5 Mbit/s. In a little over 10 minutes of playing there was about 420 MB downloaded and around 10 MB uploaded, So expect to take big hits on your bandwidth. There were a few drops, at which point the FPS went down to 20 or 25, and the graphical quality looked like a ps2 game being played on a 50 inch 1080p widescreen(A bit of an overexaggeration, but I think it is fitting for those who have done it).

Personally, I think it's a good idea, implemented horribly(except of course for the fact that you can play on mac OS). A subscription fee and I have to pay for games at retail price? Hell, for 25 dollars more, at the time of this writing, I can get just cause 2 and 35 quality games on steam. I can, however, see something like this taking off in a few years when higher internet connection speeds are standard, though I highly doubt it can overtake PC gaming that is reliant on your local hardware.

Last edited:
At best, it's a glorified Rental service. Our Game systems are safe for now.

Last edited:
Our Game systems are safe for now.

And for a very long time after, I think we all knew OnLive would never work... =P

In reality, no self respecting gamer (and there are a lot of 'hardcore' PC gamers...) is going to want or need OnLive, since those are the kinds of people that have Quad Core CPUs and 2 graphics cards, and can cook a Traditional British Fry up on their PC if they take the fans out. They're basically trying to replace something people have already spent hundreds of pounds/dollars on (and some people spent well over 2k on their system, I've spent half that and it runs pretty much everything, or would if my graphics card hadn't pissed itself and died) with a mediocre service they don't need and have to pay more for.

It is, and always will be, a very bad business plan, considering the only people likely to ever want to pay the subscription fee on top of the games are the people listed above.

Last edited:
At first, I thought, "Hey this sounds interesting. This could be the new thing in gaming!" Wasn't *until I found that its streamed, which is a problem for starters.

Second,*connection. If your one of those people stuck with dial-up or just bad connection overall, expect some lag, timeouts, and..you know other stuff.

So really, its a good concept, but it could be done a hell of a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back